PDA

View Full Version : Fastest DD MM in Canada?

Taemian
02-25-2009, 09:36 AM
So, who has the fastest MM in Canada in daily driven form? I know some of you guys haven't updated your sigs and timeslips. I'm NOT talking about going to the track and: swapping to full slicks/disconnecting the front swaybar/running 108 octane race gas/removing front passenger seat etc etc.

To find out, I propose that to post a qualifying time, we set a few variables straight.

1) Fuel: Run with whatever amount of fuel in the tank you want. Personally, I fuel up to completely full right outside the track, so that any increases from new mods can be measured from the same baseline. If you guys want to start doing "glory pulls", I'll go down to 1/4 tank!

List your octane also. 91 vs 94 does make a difference if you program for it! Race gas is a no-no for this particular listing, gas must be from a major retail station.

2) Tires must be street legal. If you run cheater slicks out back, that's fine. If you run non-stock sizes up front (skinnies), that's fine too. So long as that's how you drive it everyday. (Widened stock rears are fine if that's how you drive daily)

3) Interior: Removal of the spare tire/jack/trunk organizer is ok. Most of us with CAA run like this anyways! Everything else stays.

Glory runs are not the idea for this section. The idea is to start a friendly competition to motivate us to make mods to our daily drivers that are effective 100% of the time, as opposed to having dragstrip pulls that don't reflect our car's nature on the street. I don't know about you guys, but it's in the real world where I see most of my "challenges" thrown down. MMs that do 11.9s at the track and 13s on the street are sooo 2008.

In short, race it at the track the same way you drive it everyday. If someone wants to start a "Absolute Fastest MM in Canada" thread, go right ahead.

Until someone posts up differently, I'll say I have the fastest MM in Canada at 13.2@103mph. We'll see what my exhaust work this winter does for this year's times.

(That should bring up some responses!:D)

MADRODER
02-26-2009, 06:10 AM
I believe Snowbird had the fastest, every mod imaginable was on that car including a S/C..... mind you he had his MM up for sale last year so who knows who has it now?

FYI.....If i decide to sell my '90 5.0 and use those funds for a new Trilogy this may turn out to be a fun year for my MM.

P.S...I know we're all honest in here but for argument sake let's make sure that timeslips are posted.

Who ever has Snowbirds MM is one lucky S.O.B......http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44260

Taemian
02-26-2009, 09:35 AM
I believe Snowbird had the fastest, every mod imaginable was on that car including a S/C..... mind you he had his MM up for sale last year so who knows who has it now?

FYI.....If i decide to sell my '90 5.0 and use those funds for a new Trilogy this may turn out to be a fun year for my MM.

P.S...I know we're all honest in here but for argument sake let's make sure that timeslips are posted.

Who ever has Snowbirds MM is one lucky S.O.B......http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44260

Yeah, you'd think the new owner would be on this board. But I never did see any posts from Snowbird about actual timeslips. I don't trust most of the G-Tech stuff since there is quite a margin for operator error.

That's why I think your idea about timeslips is a very good idea....though timeslips never actually have the car i.d. on them. All my runs are on video, so it's even easier for me to post those, rather than to scan the timeslip!

I hope you do go Trilogy, one way or another. My wife wants to visit Ont again. (She spent 9 years in Hamilton, and I spent my first 16 years in St Catharines.) I know Pelham road has changed alot, but I hope it's even a little like it used to be. We used to have quite a ride out to Camp Wetaskawin, and I'd love to try it in the MM! Cruising Clifton Hill, and Queenston Heights would be good photo ops too.

Taemian
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Hmmm...can we post up vids here, or do we have to link from somewhere else?

MADRODER
02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
I agree, the vid idea is even better then time slips and don't see why we couldn't keep it on this post even though there is a drag racing section.

Pelham Rd has changed alot since I've been here for 12 years, there are house's everywhere but there are still alot of great country roads in and around Fonthill and Jordon that I like to travel on sunny weekends.

Taemian
02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree, the vid idea is even better then time slips and don't see why we couldn't keep it on this post even though there is a drag racing section.

Pelham Rd has changed alot since I've been here for 12 years, there are house's everywhere but there are still alot of great country roads in and around Fonthill and Jordon that I like to travel on sunny weekends.

I know not everyone has the benefit of having a friend around to video their run, but it really is the best way!

I know that areas change so much with time, I'm sure the only thing I'd recognize anymore is St. Paul's St. .... man, I spent alot of time at Rayhams....shhhh don't tell anyone!

I heard my old church Welland Ave United closed down and was being converted to ??? It was a beautiful building inside, all the wood carving and bronze war memorial plaques. I miss little about that denomination, but I miss that building compared to the "structure" where I go now.

Oops....back to the thread!

How do we technically post a video on this site?

QWK SVT
02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Oops....back to the thread!

I'm pretty sure the only way to do it would be to host it off-site, and provide a link to it, here...

MADRODER
02-26-2009, 10:53 AM

We can use photobucket, youtube or even streetfire to caputure the video and just have a link to the post.

freakstatus
02-26-2009, 11:19 AM
So N/A cars "need not apply" I guess. I'm banking on low to mid 14's.

MADRODER
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Looks like you and I should have roughly the same times.

Dr Caleb
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Mine is still stock. For a couple months yet. :)

Taemian
02-26-2009, 04:56 PM

We can specifiy separate s/c and n/a MM "quickest times", not a problem.

I'll try to go upload my video to YouTube....never done one yet...

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn8QXg08O3c

So I'm throwing it out there...I've got the fastest daily driven, no "track only mods" Trilogy s/c Marauder in Canada! Let's see some video from the rest of you. I can't believe that somebody out there isn't faster?!? I need some motivation to save my pennies up for more 4.6 mods....otherwise it's 6.8 SPC mods for me.:)

Taemian
02-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Here's a link from the n/a days, running with Freakstatus. We had a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Zs62lnyn8&feature=channel_page

See previous post for my Trilogized run.

RUSTY
02-26-2009, 07:53 PM

A guy I work with came and told me that a friend of his bought a MM at a bargain price from a dealer looking to unload it. He told me that it was s/c and had all sorts of custom aluminium work under the hood and a battery in the trunk and meth kit. I printed out snowbirds add and pics to show him and he said that was it.
I am supposed to meet the new owner of Snowbirds MM this spring after the car is removed from storage.
One lucky SOB if you ask me
Rusty

chader
02-26-2009, 08:17 PM
I'll have to make a run down to Mission to collect a good timeslip. You just can't get one in Calgary. Now if we did the elavation corrected times that would make a leval playing field?

Taemian
02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I'll have to make a run down to Mission to collect a good timeslip. You just can't get one in Calgary. Now if we did the elavation corrected times that would make a leval playing field?

The problem with corrected times is that it's still theoretical. Both temperature and altitude make a difference, to be sure! When I go to Bend, Oregon, I feel the altitude difference in my MM, and cooler air days make a difference on engine performance. Problem is they're not linear in their application. Too many factors weigh on each single factor. That's why they're not used in competitions (none that I've been to, anyways.)

We'd love to host a meet with you guys out here, it's a 10-12 hr drive one way. For average cars!

freakstatus
02-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Here's a link from the n/a days, running with Freakstatus. We had a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Zs62lnyn8&feature=channel_page

See previous post for my Trilogized run.

Ha, I had no idea what the heck I was doing. This year, I'll be ready.

Taemian
02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Hmmm....Chader, I think you may have the fastest DD MM in Canada right now. I think your idea of using altitude correction is a good one. It keeps the field level, and more importantly, promotes more friendly competition.

I searched around and found the NHRA altitude correction tables, and found it here...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/altitude.html

So if you're at 3400 ft, and your time was 13.887@100.03 (that's what you listed on your profile) then your corrected e.t. is.....

13.314 !!! Dang that's close!!!!

What is the exact altitude of the track that you race at? If the strip has a website, it'll tell you. I calculated it at 3400 ft, as that's what a Google of Calgary's altitude gave me. I calculated mine at sea level, though it's listed at 75 feet above.

chader
02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
To make it equal you have to calculate the air quality, reguardless of the actual elavation. This is the site I use and it works awsome. You can go to your local weather site and get an actual temp,humidity and bar. pressure. I do like this way when comparing vehicles from all over the country.
Let me know what you think.
http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php

I'm off to Vegas for the weekend I may be able to hook up with a few locals down there. I think they are having a small meet and greet. Wish I had my car...

Taemian
02-27-2009, 11:20 PM
To make it equal you have to calculate the air quality, reguardless of the actual elavation. This is the site I use and it works awsome. You can go to your local weather site and get an actual temp,humidity and bar. pressure. I do like this way when comparing vehicles from all over the country.
Let me know what you think.
http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php

I'm off to Vegas for the weekend I may be able to hook up with a few locals down there. I think they are having a small meet and greet. Wish I had my car...

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

This one has the track data already...just going to figure it out if I can...

Got it figured out...it took almost .1 off my time when corrected. (to 13.20 from 13.29) Typed in the date of the race, clicked the time of day I raced, came up with the number at the bottom.

snowbird
02-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Hello fellow Canucks,

I'm coming in to see what's up and saw there were talk of my old car. My ET times were posted and are still in the timeslip column. As for now, I'm at 33th rank. I went at the track on street tire and 91 octane ==> 12,5 @ 110 mph.

EDIT: If you go in the Forum column, at the far end, the archives on FIT kit are still available. Below, the link to my short drag racing experience tread with timeslip pic.

I'm not a virgin anymore ==> ET's (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38758) (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38758) 2 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38758&page=2))
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38758

freakstatus
02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Hey Chader, what part of Calgary are you in? We'll be coming through Calgary in the first week of July to visit my brother in law and for Stampede. We'll be heading up to Peace River at the end of June then over and down to Calgary before heading home. Would be cool to meet up and get a look at that Tril. I'll most likely be sans Marauder but we'll see (trying to convince the wife to take it but trunk space is an issue).:)

Taemian
02-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Hello fellow Canucks,

I'm coming in to see what's up and saw there were talk of my old car. My ET times were posted and are still in the timeslip column. As for now, I'm at 33th rank. I went at the track on street tire and 91 octane ==> 12,5 @ 110 mph.

EDIT: If you go in the Forum column, at the far end, the archives on FIT kit are still available. Below, the link to my short drag racing experience tread with timeslip pic.

I'm not a virgin anymore ==> ET's (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38758) (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38758) 2 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38758&page=2))
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38758

Awesome to see you drop by, Snowbird! I was just looking at your calendar photo when I finally took it down last week.:(

I'd say you might hold the record, but there is one thing that does linger. As you mentioned in your thread, track prep and traction make a huge difference, especially when s/c'd. If I read it right, you dropped your rear tire psi down to 26 psi. I can't imagine running like that on the street, which is the whole purpose of this thread. Any track prep is not allowed.

I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes, but tell the new owner to hit the track again! I know I will never have the fastest MM in Canada, but I really want to see what the absolute limit of the car is in it's truest daily driven form.

As it stands, I think your former car is the fastest MM in the land when you allow for track prep.

Taemian
02-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey Chader, what part of Calgary are you in? We'll be coming through Calgary in the first week of July to visit my brother in law and for Stampede. We'll be heading up to Peace River at the end of June then over and down to Calgary before heading home. Would be cool to meet up and get a look at that Tril. I'll most likely be sans Marauder but we'll see (trying to convince the wife to take it but trunk space is an issue).:)

How can trunk space be an issue? I'm thinking there's waaaay more room in your MM that your Saturn!

snowbird
02-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Awesome to see you drop by, Snowbird! I was just looking at your calendar photo when I finally took it down last week.:(

I'd say you might hold the record, but there is one thing that does linger. As you mentioned in your thread, track prep and traction make a huge difference, especially when s/c'd. If I read it right, you dropped your rear tire psi down to 26 psi. I can't imagine running like that on the street, which is the whole purpose of this thread. Any track prep is not allowed.

I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes, but tell the new owner to hit the track again! I know I will never have the fastest MM in Canada, but I really want to see what the absolute limit of the car is in it's truest daily driven form.

As it stands, I think your former car is the fastest MM in the land when you allow for track prep.

No problem Taemian. Dropping the pressure at the track really help but I wouldn't drive so low on the street.

Taemian
02-28-2009, 11:27 AM
No problem Taemian. Dropping the pressure at the track really help but I wouldn't drive so low on the street.

Do you know who bought the car? There was another member who will hopefully see it soon again! I'd love to see the video you have of your race, can you send me a link? Thanks!

freakstatus
02-28-2009, 02:00 PM
How can trunk space be an issue? I'm thinking there's waaaay more room in your MM that your Saturn!

Believe it or not, no. Unless I take the full sized spare out. Also, we may have a Mazda 5 or Chevy Uplander by then.;)

freakstatus
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Do you know who bought the car? There was another member who will hopefully see it soon again! I'd love to see the video you have of your race, can you send me a link? Thanks!

LOL, Geez Ian. I hereby proclaim you "Fastest Daily Driven Marauder in Canada". Now go make yourself a trophy and display it proudly on your mantle. Happy?:D

Taemian
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
LOL, Geez Ian. I hereby proclaim you "Fastest Daily Driven Marauder in Canada". Now go make yourself a trophy and display it proudly on your mantle. Happy?:D

Back in the closet, lackey.:D

snowbird
03-01-2009, 05:11 AM
I don't know as I left it at a Mazda dealer when I bought the tiny turbo rocket. But another member from Montreal (Rusty) seems to know somebody who heard about it. Maybe you'll hear news when the weather will permit stored car out.

A friend did take an amateur video of the last and best run I did back then. The track was about to close so I did the run alone. The good thing is that I had good info on the street Pirelli tires slipping even with a lot of air removed (still over 100ft) and could hear the engine singing without a noisy opponent souring the soup.

Now to send: it is difficult as the file is mega big. Send me an alternate email adress and I'll try to send.

Taemian
03-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't know as I left it at a Mazda dealer when I bought the tiny turbo rocket. But another member from Montreal (Rusty) seems to know somebody who heard about it. Maybe you'll hear news when the weather will permit stored car out.

A friend did take an amateur video of the last and best run I did back then. The track was about to close so I did the run alone. The good thing is that I had good info on the street Pirelli tires slipping even with a lot of air removed (still over 100ft) and could hear the engine singing without a noisy opponent souring the soup.

Now to send: it is difficult as the file is mega big. Send me an alternate email adress and I'll try to send.

marauderphotos@gmail.com

The limit is 20 megs per email, I think.

chader
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM

I would be upset if you did not try to hook up. I live 20 mins. east of the city on the trans canada. But I'm in every day. Please keep me updated, and we will make plans...TTFN

Taemian
03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
2DMax has the fastest one now. It's just a matter of getting the timeslip to prove it. That Sniper tune we just did transformed it bigtime.

2DMAX
03-12-2009, 05:52 PM
hmmm..dont know about that! I will agree that the Sniper program did put a smile on my face on the first run. Thanks for being there and helping (or rather doing) the program load. Can't wait to do the tuning this weekend. I hate to come home though...it is a nice balmy 74 degrees in Mesa and I hear it is -8 as in too cold, windy, rain forcast for the next 6 days and otherwise crappy weather. I parked next to a 04 silver MM at the MD Helicopter Co. parking lot and actually tracked him down at the factory. Come to find out he deals with our company in the parts distribution side, and I never knew he even had a MM. He bought it with the ProCharger kit, and has an interesting story about how he bought it, but he will have to put it on the board himself if he wants. Didnt get more info other than he runs a 12.7 at 116 , but will get more later. See ya when I get home..Saturday is on, yes?

Taemian
03-13-2009, 07:04 AM
hmmm..dont know about that! I will agree that the Sniper program did put a smile on my face on the first run. Thanks for being there and helping (or rather doing) the program load. Can't wait to do the tuning this weekend. I hate to come home though...it is a nice balmy 74 degrees in Mesa and I hear it is -8 as in too cold, windy, rain forcast for the next 6 days and otherwise crappy weather. I parked next to a 04 silver MM at the MD Helicopter Co. parking lot and actually tracked him down at the factory. Come to find out he deals with our company in the parts distribution side, and I never knew he even had a MM. He bought it with the ProCharger kit, and has an interesting story about how he bought it, but he will have to put it on the board himself if he wants. Didnt get more info other than he runs a 12.7 at 116 , but will get more later. See ya when I get home..Saturday is on, yes?

Saturday is a go! I'll be at the hanger at 1200. That's a cool story about the silver MM. It's amazing how many we find out there who aren't on either of the MM websites.

freakstatus
03-13-2009, 11:03 PM

Hey Dave, hows it going? I'm looking forward to heading out to the track in April and seeing you and Ian go head to head. Just don't line up against me please. :)

Taemian
04-24-2009, 10:34 PM
2DMax has the fastest one now. It's just a matter of getting the timeslip to prove it. That Sniper tune we just did transformed it bigtime.

Well, Dave ran tonight at Mission Raceway and I videoed. My trans is still hitting the rev limiter, so I didn't feel safe to race mine.

Dave did: 12.94, then 13.2, then 12.91, then...12.74@109 (then...12.74@109) !!!!!!!

MY HERO!!!!!!!

MADRODER
04-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Congratulations Dave!!!

That's a great time..........

freakstatus
04-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Nice Dave! Wish I was there with you. Although, I'm not lining up against you.....lol

Aren Jay
04-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Taemian
04-25-2009, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHf9RR-fXk

Here's the video Dave made up today.