PDA

View Full Version : Q's for those that shoot Nikon...

QWK SVT
02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm thinking of selling my current cam (Fuji S100FS) and going to a better camera / system. Based on feel of body in hand, I am strongly leaning towards the Nikon D90. I'm experienced with bridge cams, so I don't want to start with a low-end dSLR (i.e. D40/D60), only to be dissapointed by the incremental improvement, or ability in my typical uses... My primary uses are as follows:

Baby on the way - I'm likely to take MANY pictures of my firstborn child;
Typical shots of vehicles in nice surrounding;
Landscape pictures; and here's the toughy,
Wildlife - inlcuding large birds of prey, and smaller birds (still willing to try, even knowing that the keeper rate for birds in flight may be low)

Since I've pretty sure I want the D90, I need to start thinking about the glass to go with it... I thought about the NIKON DX VR 18-105 F3.5-5.6 AF-S LENS (for everyday use), but it didn't feel as solid, and had a plasticy mount, but I do have shaky hands and the VR might help.

Based on my needs and budget, I'm leaning towards the NIKON DX AF-S 18-70MM F3.5-4.5 for everyday use, and the NIKON AF-S VR 70-300 4.5-5.6 IF-ED for the long end (D90 has a 1.5x multiplier). When I'm able to save a little more cash, I also plan to get a 50mm prime (either f1.4 or f1.8 for <1/2 the price) and a flash (but can live with the built in, for now).

Does this seem like a good plan? Is there something else I've completely overlooked? Any thoughts would be appreciated, but this is pretty much at the top of my price range (with the quoted lenses), so I can't really go for anything much pricier (as much as I would like to get 400mm+ f2.8 lens, it ain't happening right now).

O's Fan Rich
02-26-2009, 10:13 AM
make sure you buy an American made camera!!!!!

:D

merc
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM

No..Buy from Japan

I own a D90 and two f/3.5 lens. I just purchased a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM and love it. The f/3.5 18-105 (kit lens) is a good lens for general purposes. I find that I use the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX more, but I keep it on the D40x.

http://gallery.me.com/mwhite26/100289/DSC_1068/web.jpg

Aperture f/2.8| Shutter speed 1/10|ISO 200|Focal length 18mm|

merc
02-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Aperture F/3.5| Shutter speed 1/6| ISO 200| Focal Length 18mm Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED

http://gallery.me.com/mwhite26/100289/DSC_1053/web.jpg

Aperture F/2.8| Shutter speed 1/10| ISO 200| Focal Length 18mm Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM

http://gallery.me.com/mwhite26/100289/DSC_1054/web.jpg

The major differences can be found in how light effects the lens. Look at the ISBN number and the tag above it. Also look at the white bottle of lotion on the upper right hand side of the picture.

merc
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Taken with a D40x using a 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX lens.

Aperture F/5.6| Shutter speed 1/500| ISO 140| Focal Length 95mm
http://gallery.me.com/mwhite26/100289/DSC_0292/web.jpg

I shoot in Aperture priority mode (the A button) most of the time. Anyone that purchases a Digital SLR and shoots in Automatic should return the camera and get a point and shoot model.

QWK SVT
02-26-2009, 12:16 PM

Uh... And which camera would that be? :lol:

merc - Thank you very much for the samples! I very much agree with your thoughts on using "Auto" though most confess I will likely start with it (in RAW + JPG), for the first hundred captures, until I get a feel for how the Nikon handles various situations.

I think the 18-200mm VR might be overkill for my day-to-day, and there would be a lot overlap with the 70-300mm VR, which I am pretty much settled on (unless I could get comprable glass with longer reach for the same price). What I really want out of my day-to-day lens is ability to go from wide to moderate zoom, be fairly quick and offers good sharpness. I have seen good samples from the 18-70MM F3.5-4.5 from my cousin's camera, however I do have fairly shaky hands, so that's a concern (obviously on the longer end of the zoom).

I do like what you've shown of the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, but will have to do more research... Realizing that I'm in Canada and prices are often different (higher) than in the US, here's what I'm looking at: I can get the Nikon 18-105mm VR for $350, the Nikon 18-70mm for $370 and the Sigma 18-50 2.8 for $650. That's almost enough to get either Nikon lens, PLUS a Nikon 50mm f1.4 (or the Nikon 50mm F1.8 and a nice dinner with the wife). Do you think the performance warrants that price difference that I'm seeing?

merc
02-26-2009, 12:31 PM

merc - Thank you very much for the samples! I very much agree with your thoughts on using "Auto" though most confess I will likely start with it (in RAW + JPG), for the first hundred captures, until I get a feel for how the Nikon handles various situations.

I think the 18-200mm VR might be overkill for my day-to-day, and there would be a lot overlap with the 70-300mm VR, which I am pretty much settled on (unless I could get comprable glass with longer reach for the same price). What I really want out of my day-to-day lens is ability to go from wide to moderate zoom, be fairly quick and offers good sharpness. I have seen good samples from the 18-70MM F3.5-4.5 from my cousin's camera, however I do have fairly shaky hands, so that's a concern (obviously on the longer end of the zoom).

I do like what you've shown of the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, but will have to do more research... Realizing that I'm in Canada and prices are often different (higher) than in the US, here's what I'm looking at: I can get the Nikon 18-105mm VR for $350, the Nikon 18-70mm for $370 and the Sigma 18-50 2.8 for $650. That's almost enough to get either Nikon lens, PLUS a Nikon 50mm f1.4 (or the Nikon 50mm F1.8 and a nice dinner with the wife). Do you think the performance warrants that price difference that I'm seeing?

I purchased the Sigma for 291.00 + shipping used in mint condition with instructions and warranty card on ebay. Their are a tons of deals out their if you are willing to review all the information. You are on the right track by going with the D90 and the kit lens. I was tempted to purchase a D200 for 899.00 last week and the D300 are coming down in price.

tjg442
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm thinking of selling my current cam (Fuji S100FS) and going to a better camera / system. Based on feel of body in hand, I am strongly leaning towards the Nikon D90. I'm experienced with bridge cams, so I don't want to start with a low-end dSLR (i.e. D40/D60), only to be dissapointed by the incremental improvement, or ability in my typical uses... My primary uses are as follows:

Baby on the way - I'm likely to take MANY pictures of my firstborn child;
Typical shots of vehicles in nice surrounding;
Landscape pictures; and here's the toughy,
Wildlife - inlcuding large birds of prey, and smaller birds (still willing to try, even knowing that the keeper rate for birds in flight may be
Since I've pretty sure I want the D90, I need to start thinking about the glass to go with it... I thought about the NIKON DX VR 18-105 F3.5-5.6 AF-S LENS (for everyday use), but it didn't feel as solid, and had a plasticy mount, but I do have shaky hands and the VR might help.

Based on my needs and budget, I'm leaning towards the NIKON DX AF-S 18-70MM F3.5-4.5 for everyday use, and the NIKON AF-S VR 70-300 4.5-5.6 IF-ED for the long end (D90 has a 1.5x multiplier). When I'm able to save a little more cash, I also plan to get a 50mm prime (either f1.4 or f1.8 for <1/2 the price) and a flash (but can live with the built in, for now).

Does this seem like a good plan? Is there something else I've completely overlooked? Any thoughts would be appreciated, but this is pretty much at the top of my price range (with the quoted lenses), so I can't really go for anything much pricier (as much as I would like to get 400mm+ f2.8 lens, it ain't happening right now). NIKON D90 !!!!!!!!!!!!!PERIOD..:bows:

tjg442
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM

I do like what you've shown of the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, but will have to do more research... Realizing that I'm in Canada and prices are often different (higher) than in the US, here's what I'm looking at: I can get the Nikon 18-105mm VR for $350, the Nikon 18-70mm for $370 and the Sigma 18-50 2.8 for $650. That's almost enough to get either Nikon lens, PLUS a Nikon 50mm f1.4 (or the Nikon 50mm F1.8 and a nice dinner with the wife). Do you think the performance warrants that price difference that I'm seeing? WHY .........A KODAK "BROWNEE" OFCOURSE :banana: