PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler install WITH PICS!

BAD MERC
03-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I finally threw down the gauntlet today and spent a few hours putting in the transmission cooler I bought 2 years ago. The pictures were taken as the work was completed and should not be relied on solely as a basis for your installation. I removed the fan/shroud assembly along with the accessories to facilitate the removal process. Pictures are for reference only - please use common sense when you work on your own car.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/kennycoffey/101_1355Small.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/kennycoffey/101_1357Small.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/kennycoffey/101_1356Small.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/kennycoffey/101_1358Small.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/kennycoffey/101_1360Small.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/kennycoffey/101_1361Small.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r176/kennycoffey/101_1362Small.jpg

Marylandrauder
03-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I hope that tube and fin cooler you got has agetators in it, the old tube and fin coolers would let the cooled fluid stick too the tubes while the hot fluid passed on buy.

If I were going to put on another trans cooler I would buy the B&M Supercooler, it has a stcked plate design and it is 30% more efficient than the tube and fin type. This B&M unit also has a bypass that lets the fluid bypass the cooler when the fluid is cold. When the fluid gets hotter or thinner it goes through the cooler.

What made you get another trans cooler, was your transmission fluid running too hot.

Can you tell us what's the brand name of the cooler you got.

ctrlraven
03-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks for posting the pics. So the fluid will come from the trans into the OEM cooler then go to the aftermarket cooler and back into the trans?

UncleLar
03-08-2009, 03:13 AM
I hope that tube and fin cooler you got has agetators in it, the old tube and fin coolers would let the cooled fluid stick too the tubes while the hot fluid passed on buy.

If I were going to put on another trans cooler I would buy the B&M Supercooler, it has a stcked plate design and it is 30% more efficient than the tube and fin type. This B&M unit also has a bypass that lets the fluid bypass the cooler when the fluid is cold. When the fluid gets hotter or thinner it goes through the cooler

What made you get another trans cooler, was your transmission fluid running too hot.

Can you tell us what's the brand name of the cooler you got.

Subject to verification by those more knowledgeable among us I recall from previous info on this site that the oem cooler is thermostatic bypass equipped which should eliminate the need for a second one in an added cooler.In this case adding a second cooler of the tube and fin design on top of the oem unit is still acceptable imo although a stacked plate type is more efficient.When I get around to doing my cooler upgrade I will go stacked plate just as my own choice.
I'm sure there are people like Zack and others here who are really familiar with all the types of superchargers and built transmission cars who are much more qualified to recommend what type and size coolers are actually required on MM's from 100% stock to the screaming all out dressed to kill high 10 second cars some of our members own and drive. If I'm wrong about any or all of this please correct me as I'd like to know the straight skinny too.

Marylandrauder
03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I should have mentioned this last night, are factory external transmission coolers have a 180 degree thermostat on them which means when the temp of the fluid is below 180 degrees it bypasses the trans cooler. When it is 180 degrees or higher, trans fluid goes through the cooler.

I am really not a fan of a thermostatic bypass on our coolers, if I were living in a hotter climate like Arizona, I would want to ditch the factory external trans cooler and just use the B&M Cooler on there.

Does anyone know how good or bad our factory external trans coolers are compared to a B&M Supercooler with the stacked plate design.

Marauderjack
03-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Mine is behind the intercooler and the A/C condenser.....with IAT at 120* in thew summer my trans fluid would occasionally reach 205*.....not Terrible but a bit high!!:cool:

I added a frame rail cooler to the system and so far I've seen about 190* but it isn't summer yet.....I think less than 180* is not ideal and according to charts I've seen 220* intermittently isn't going to kill your trans!!??:shake:

I got 160K miles out of my trans with the stock cooler....76K miles with the blower and all I did was drain the pan every 15K miles and add back <4 quarts of fluid.:beer:

I'll see soon if the addition of the small cooler will help hold the temp to <200*!!:confused:

TAKEDOWN
03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Does anyone know what type of Trans cooler Darrin from BC Automotive uses? I sent him a PM.

Mest30
03-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Does anyone know what type of Trans cooler Darrin from BC Automotive uses? I sent him a PM.

Read the second post in the below thread for your answer.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50396&highlight=trans+cooler

ctrlraven
03-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Read the second post in the below thread for your answer.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50396&highlight=trans+cooler

I was looking for that thread a few weeks ago, thanks for posting it up. I wanted to get that trans cooler.

Mest30
03-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm going to be getting it in a couple weeks.

BurpyTurtle
03-25-2009, 10:48 AM
The pics don't load.

bob6364
03-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Friend of mine owns a transmission shop...he's indepandant not a big name but he says he hates those stacked plate designs.He says they are very small internally and plug easily.They don't take well to flushing so if you have ever had a tranny problem replace the tranny and the cooler at the same time because it is most likely plugged with tranny grundge. Also having to cool of a tranny is just as bad as having a to hot one,thy are made to run in a specific heat range under load...

Marylandrauder
03-25-2009, 01:53 PM
If they plug up easily then it maybe a good idea to put on a Magnefine or an external transmission filter.

JBeezy
11-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Old thread, but is it just my phone or were the pictures removed? I'm wanting to install a transmission cooler , but need to see how and where to plumb it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BAD MERC
11-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Sorry - I likely removed the pics. I suspended mine in front of the condenser. It's 100% efficient and gets primary air flow. I cut the line LEAVING the OE cooler and plumbed it to the new cooler. Then out of that to the return fluid line. The hot fluid has the benefit of losing some absorbed engine heat from the radiator. Double clamp the lines, too.

JBeezy
11-07-2016, 06:13 PM
My intercooler is sitting behind my Grill. Do you still have the pics? Honestly I'm not sure where the stock cooler is. I learn as I go

BAD MERC
11-07-2016, 08:23 PM
My intercooler is sitting behind my Grill. Do you still have the pics? Honestly I'm not sure where the stock cooler is. I learn as I go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk Stock cooler is IN the radiator. Aside from the coolant hoses in pretty much all automatics there's a pair of trans cooling fittings. The transmission is then a slave to engine temperature. So an overheating engine means an overheating transmission, best I can do is if you PM me your email I'll snap a few pics and get them to you before the weekend.

RF Overlord
11-07-2016, 09:01 PM
As Bad Merc said, plumb the auxiliary cooler in line AFTER the stock cooler.

JBeezy
11-08-2016, 06:24 AM
Stock cooler is IN the radiator. Aside from the coolant hoses in pretty much all automatics there's a pair of trans cooling fittings. The transmission is then a slave to engine temperature. So an overheating engine means an overheating transmission, best I can do is if you PM me your email I'll snap a few pics and get them to you before the weekend.
Well yea, that's typical. Thought there was something different here.

Zack
11-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Stock cooler is IN the radiator. Aside from the coolant hoses in pretty much all automatics there's a pair of trans cooling fittings. The transmission is then a slave to engine temperature. So an overheating engine means an overheating transmission, best I can do is if you PM me your email I'll snap a few pics and get them to you before the weekend.

You Fail.
No it's not

Turbov6Bryan
11-08-2016, 07:58 AM
I would buy the largest stack plate designed cooler and add a fan to it for best results. Tube fin style coolers are inferior to stack plate design

Some folks add a 12 volt computer fan instead of a small spal fan

Just plumb it after the rad cooler, and install a trans temp gauge in the outgoing line from the trans. This will tell you max trans temp

On some cars, take the out going line off, put a T fitting with the trans temp sender in the T and it's no mess

Just a suggestion:)

sailsmen
11-08-2016, 10:31 AM
If you have the OEM fan shroud and fan without any hitemp coolant issues the OEM trans cooler is more than adequate for the 4R70W/75W.

Turbov6Bryan
11-08-2016, 10:54 AM
If you have the OEM fan shroud and fan without any hitemp coolant issues the OEM trans cooler is more than adequate for the 4R70W/75W.

Cooler trans temps equal longer life in general, dropping from 195 and higher to 160 will extend its life drastically

Always room for improvement on everything:)

http://myautomatictransmission.com/temperature-chart.htm

sailsmen
11-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Before adding an additional or different trans cooler monitor your trans temps.

Also monitor your coolants temps if the additional or different trans cooler will in anyway impact the radiator.

I went 95K miles and 184 runs down the 1/4, (including 45K of which was S/C and 75K of which on a high stall) on the OEM Trans and Trans Cooler.

MOTOWN
11-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Cooler trans temps equal longer life in general, dropping from 195 and higher to 160 will extend its life drastically

Always room for improvement on everything:)

http://myautomatictransmission.com/temperature-chart.htm

Very true! The oem transcooler has it's limitations like anything else.

JBeezy
11-08-2016, 12:30 PM
I do still have the factory fan and shroud. No cooling issues. I rarely drive my car, much less drive it hard. I do want to add some type of cooler, but not trying to break the bank either. I'm sitting at 62k miles. I've put 32k miles on it in 6 years

sailsmen
11-08-2016, 12:42 PM
A scan gauge such as an AeroForce maybe a better expenditure.

FordNut
11-08-2016, 05:37 PM

You Fail.
No it's not

Right. It is sandwiched between the radiator and AC condenser.

JBeezy
11-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Right. It is sandwiched between the radiator and AC condenser.
I guess that's just like my buddies 2005 Mustang GT then.