PDA

View Full Version : Zack Tune

CKMustangCobra
03-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I finally picked up a SCT Xcal 2 and a tune from Zack last week.

I have put a tank of gas through the car since the tune has been loaded and here are my findings.

What I really wanted to change:

-Idle was getting too low sometimes. When I would turn the steering wheel at idle... using some engine power the RPMs would dip to the 500 range. I would notice a little voltage drop and a vibration. I wanted to raise the idle RPM up to 700 in gear, 700 in park.

-Shifting. As I have read this has been #1 on MM owners list. The stock shifts were actually nice and light under part throttle which I didn't mind... it was the actual times the when the gears would change AND when the TC would lock up. ANNOYING.... 36mph and I'm in OD with the TC locked up. Hit the gas and the car takes a few moments to upshift... unlock the TC... response really sucked. I wanted a new shift schedule for part throttle and I wanted firmer shifts at WOT along with raising the shift point closer to redline.

-HP/TQ. I know this engine is capable of making more than the factory put out and I want to make the engine produce what it should... tune is needed.

This is what I got with the XCal 2 and ZACK TUNE.

-The idle was raised to the 800 range in gear. This is going to sound really anal and over the top. The only problem that developed was at 800 rpms in gear... there is a slight engine/exhaust harmonic tone that is created and it can be felt through the steering wheel and slightly heard. If I turn the wheel and drop the rpms slightly or tap the gas and raise the rpms slightly it goes away. So I am going to try and get a tune adjusted to drop the idle a touch.

-Shifting. Ohh My God. What a difference. This made the tuner and Zack tune worth the $$$. Shift schedule is perfect, TC lock up is perfect. Another slightly anal problem is it is a touch to harsh for me under lazy driving conditions and I am going to try and get the non-WOT shift pressure dropped back down close to stock... maybe a touch firmer than stock. WOT shifts are amazing and couldn't be happier.

-HP/TQ. I can definatly fell a difference not just up top... but down low too. It screams up top and the extra RPMs being used really help. Down low... the car doesn't unlock the TC for a second and lock up again... it just goes. Should've been like this from the factory.

Added bonus of the tune that I wasn't expecting.

I usually do city driving with some mixed hwy and I average around 310 miles to 16.9 gallons. This weekend was different. I was on duty this weekend (USCG Reservist) and I followed my usual routine.

I topped off with fuel and began my trip to the coast. As I got on the hwy I got all the way in it to really check out the tune. I did this also leaving the only toll that I encounter on the trip. I usually don't do this because it was nothing special... nothing I haven't felt before. One way trip is exactly 50 miles door to door. I did my usual lunch trip and running around before my trip home. I did a few more WOT romps on my way home too. I set the cruise control @ 74mph both ways as usual.

When I got back to the same gas station I topped off again... the car accepted .4 gallons less fuel that usual.

So in the 122 miles I put on the car this weekend.... with a few added 10mph - 80mph WOT passes I actually used LESS fuel than normal.

Take that for what it is worth... but I am going to pay close attention to the milage for the next few tanks and report my status.

All in all.

Awesome investment. Zack is the man!

DTRMiguel
03-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Get this man a forum dammit.

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
These things should have came from ford with a Zack tune damnit.

Zack
03-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

I always set the idle in gear to 750. I personally think the car takes off better with the rpm's a little higher from the start.

PS, I sent you your new tune with the things you wanted changed. :up:

CKMustangCobra
03-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Just another outstanding comment for Zack. I told him the issues... and not only did he direct me in using the XCal 2.... he made me a fresh tune and e-mailed it to me within an hour.

Truly badass!

CKMustangCobra
03-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Everything is now perfect BTW!!!!!!!

Zack
03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks again!

DOOM
03-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey zack I have a problem with the tune you sent me. Everytime I hit the gas my car does this :burnout: and everytime the car shifts it does this :burn: I'm about to be on my 3rd set of rear tires in less than 6 months :help: oh and everytime I turn the key I do this :D KEEP IT UP ZACK :2thumbs:

ctrlraven
03-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I've been running a Zack tune for about a year and a half now. Couldn't be happier, well I could be if I hit the 12's but the Zack tune does it for me right now.

musclemerc
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
WOW! another satisfied customer! Glad i'm not alone...:burnout:

CKMustangCobra
03-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Screw the haters... I don't think anyone could've made me happier.

stangracr
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Im running a zack tune and could not be happier. The car runs and shifts perfect. Love driving the car now. Also an extra plus. Zack always answers his phone when I call and answers my questions.

thanks again
ed

Paul
03-10-2009, 05:16 AM
I am also very happy with my tune from Zack! I have FI, so I had the engine tune done by a local tuner, VMP Tuning, who Zack recommended, but with Zack's tranny-management setup blended in by VMP when the tune was performed. :2thumbs: