PDA

View Full Version : Old chip removal

a_d_a_m
03-12-2009, 09:39 AM
In anticipation of an upcoming Z-tune, I just went under my dashboard and found something that I'm not quite sure I dig.

Let me first say, the car has a DR tuning chip in it and, as I understand, is one of the old-style chips.

Let me follow that up with: I have absolutely zero computer tuning/chip experience.

Now...

The ECM has a prong-looking thing sticking out from the side of it. A friend of mine said he thought that once I pull that pronged thing out, I might need to replace it with an OEM module of some sort (which I do not have).

The pronged chip sticks out from the side of the ECM by about 1/4" to 3/8". You can see that there used to be some sort of sticker where this piece is sticking out...

So...
Can I just pull this chip, unplug the battery for awhile, and it will return to "normal", or do I need to find an OEM chip?

God, I hope that made sense...

Zack
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Make sure the key is not in the ignition or at least not turned to the on position.
There should be some tape holding it in. Remove the tape and just pull it rearward. You can put some tape over the hole to keep dust out.
Thats it!

a_d_a_m
03-12-2009, 09:49 AM
There's no tape on there, but I am otherwise reading this as "remove and replace with nothing."

Bradley G
03-12-2009, 11:30 AM
correct, the chip rewrites the PCM.
There's no tape on there, but I am otherwise reading this as "remove and replace with nothing."

a_d_a_m
03-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks, folks.

rayjay
03-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Don't even have the key NEAR the car! Tape over the opening to keep crap out.

MM2004
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Good advice above.

;)

Mike.

a_d_a_m
03-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Don't even have the key NEAR the car! LOL, okay!!!

rayjay
03-13-2009, 04:52 AM
LOL, okay!!!

I knew of people who had to have their Focus towed to the dealer to have their PATS system reset/repaired because the key was too close to the car when they were installing/removing a chip. I leave mine hanging in the house when I take my chip out for its yearly connection cleaning.

a_d_a_m
03-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Seems like the two would be independent of each other...

I was gonna do it today, but I think I'll leave it in until the other tune shows up. I might swap out the snow tires today.

rayjay
03-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Seems like the two would be independent of each other...

I was gonna do it today, but I think I'll leave it in until the other tune shows up. I might swap out the snow tires today.

Its really no problem. Just keep the keys away from the car. Pull the chip straight out and you're done, 2 seconds + time to shinney under there.