PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Wax's Black Box

PantherP71
03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Turtle Wax's Black Box kit?
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,28

TiTo35
03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I never even heard of it, but I will have to look into very soon...Come on Spring!!!

PantherP71
03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Same thing I was thinking.
I was always told that colored waxes were a gimmick.

Bluerauder
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Turtle Wax's Black Box kit?
Guess that I'll have to wait for the Turtle Wax Blue Box to come out. ;)

PantherP71
03-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Ha,
Such a shame huh?

rayjay
03-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Dominick has experience with turtles.

DOOM
03-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey turtle wax makes ICE (my favorite product) :D I may have to try this stuff out.

Shora
03-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I saw it at my local Auto Zone a few weeks ago. The whole kit was only $19.99 and it looked interesting. However, since I never heard of it, and since most of the Turtle products that I used in the past were trash, I decided to pass.

Edit, I don't know how ya'll like ICE. I bought all the ice products and I just feel like I am putting baby oil on the car. I guess I will try it again since I have so much left.

not5-0
03-16-2009, 06:22 PM
I've had black cars for 15 yrs and have used Zymol carbon exclusively with phenomenol results (if used properly) They recently came out with a black version called ebony which I used for the first time about a month ago. I highly recommend it.

Shora
03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I've had black cars for 15 yrs and have used Zymol carbon exclusively with phenomenol results (if used properly) They recently came out with a black version called ebony which I used for the first time about a month ago. I highly recommend it.

Guys, this info is GOLD!

I have seen his car and it looks better than cars still in the show room!

Any advice on where to find this ebony stuff and advice on application?

chader
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Edit, I don't know how ya'll like ICE. I bought all the ice products and I just feel like I am putting baby oil on the car. I guess I will try it again since I have so much left.

I have to agree with you!!!

Bigdogjim
03-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Guess that I'll have to wait for the Turtle Wax Blue Box to come out. ;)

Charlie go to www.ardex.com (http://www.ardex.com) they have your "blue" wax, been using their products since Sept.'02 very, very happy :up:

Bigdogjim
03-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Ardex (www.ardex.com (http://www.ardex.com)) has been a research Company for a long time they make their own wax products. They sell through the web and have a store (I know of one in Northest Phla) big with detailers! They make a wax for almost every color!

a_d_a_m
03-16-2009, 10:58 PM
I've had great luck with Turtle Wax Platinum and plan to try this out on my 300A...

rayjay
03-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I've had great luck with Turtle Wax Platinum

+1, had great results with it also.

PantherP71
03-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I just bought 'The Black Box'. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

bigmerc2003
03-17-2009, 11:25 AM
went to look up the Zymol carbon and ebony, $46 and $62 :eek:

Holy:censor:

Mequiars it is for another year!

Black Dynamite
03-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Yeah my wallet said the same thing to me too!!

ckadiddle
03-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Note on TWI:

If you use Turtle Wax Ice, you literally need only four or five single drops on the applicator sponge thing per body side panel. After doing an entire Marauder with two coats, you cannot really see that you used any out of the bottle. You do use it that sparingly.

If it feels like you are oiling a baby, you are using way too much. ;)

PantherP71
03-17-2009, 03:07 PM
AWESOME PRODUCT!
I recommend wearing gloves.

Took a little time but so worth it.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/pantherp71/photo-9.jpg
I know I got a little missed spot, I handled it lol.

CKMustangCobra
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Does this black wax have a filling effect? Will it fill in a few light scratches and bug spots?

PantherP71
03-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Does this black wax have a filling effect? Will it fill in a few light scratches and bug spots?

YES!
It is amazing.
Use it. It takes time but you will be happy.:beer:

PantherP71
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
ADTR plug to. :D

a_d_a_m
03-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I bought mine earlier today.

How much time are we talking?

Hand application or machine or both?

PantherP71
03-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I bought mine earlier today.

How much time are we talking?

Hand application or machine or both?

I only did it by hand. Fairly easy.

And probably about about 2 hours.

MERCMAN
03-18-2009, 09:47 AM

Zymol is really bad for residual powder after it dries. Looks good other than that. Ice is my current fave. Nice thing about Ice is the ability to use on moldings to make them shine like new, with no streaks.

michael ward
03-18-2009, 09:57 AM
one word ZAINO

Egon Spengler
03-18-2009, 10:20 AM
;)I'll try anything once!

CKMustangCobra
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I saw this product at my local Advance Auto Parts... I will pick it up in a few weeks and try it out.

NXT 2.0 works decent... but it doesn't last as long and it doesn't fill in little scratches and swirls.

LordVader
03-18-2009, 01:53 PM
AWESOME PRODUCT!
I recommend wearing gloves.

Took a little time but so worth it.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/pantherp71/photo-9.jpg
I know I got a little missed spot, I handled it lol.

I see a lot of streaks...not even application.

03Farmmarauder
03-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I have already seen samples and will not use it. Fake results that will not last. All this does is fill the swirls with a like color (such as black) and will fade over time. Only way to fix defects is to repair them with a rotory buffer, anything else and ur hiding the problem!!!

PantherP71
03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
I see a lot of streaks...not even application.
Ya I missed some taking it off.
It came off fine.
No streaks.

PantherP71
03-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I have already seen samples and will not use it. Fake results that will not last. All this does is fill the swirls with a like color (such as black) and will fade over time. Only way to fix defects is to repair them with a rotory buffer, anything else and ur hiding the problem!!!
I disagree,
I find it a good product. So far its holding up, even after a rain.

I will use it again.

a_d_a_m
03-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Sam,
Take a picture of the whole car, would ya?

PantherP71
03-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Sam,
Take a picture of the whole car, would ya?

I apoliqize.
Next time I will,
I didn't even think about it :lol:
It rained last night so. :(

juno
03-27-2009, 06:14 AM
I have the crappy early 03 black paint, swirls and all. The paint is too thin to fix, so the ultimate solution is a new paint job. I tried the black box and it does exactly as it advertises. I just did the hood/grill/bumper last night and it came out great. If your paint really sucks or you can't get a professional to restore it, for 20 bucks you can make your black car look great.
For you guys who have 10x as many hours detailing then you do at the track, it's probably not for you.

tjg442
03-28-2009, 07:06 AM

I have to agree with you!!! don't even try to power buff with "ICE" .....buffer marks won't go away.!!:bigcry: "Collinite's No. 845" heavy duty paste Insulaton Wax". never used anything, Mothers, Turtle, etc..
that comes close to this..Put on boat deck, and hull, sits out in the water and sun all summer !!! and holds up. Easy on, will buff, safe on clear coat also.!! Hint, make sure the suface is hospitol clean, dry's hard. Got onto this by a friend with a "Moony" at Portage airport. Have this, (and a junk 3/4 full plastic bottle of "ICE" on my car shelf in garage that anyone can have for free,!!! pay for postage only.)

CKMustangCobra
03-28-2009, 09:25 AM
don't even try to power buff with "ICE" .....buffer marks won't go away.!!:bigcry: "Collinite's No. 845" heavy duty paste Insulaton Wax". never used anything, Mothers, Turtle, etc..
that comes close to this..Put on boat deck, and hull, sits out in the water and sun all summer !!! and holds up. Easy on, will buff, safe on clear coat also.!! Hint, make sure the suface is hospitol clean, dry's hard. Got onto this by a friend with a "Moony" at Portage airport. Have this, (and a junk 3/4 full plastic bottle of "ICE" on my car shelf in garage that anyone can have for free,!!! pay for postage only.)

I had to re-read this post numerous times and still didn't have any luck deciphering it.

tjg442
03-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I had to re-read this post numerous times and still didn't have any luck deciphering it. "ICE" is junk :shake:
simple ?

PantherP71
04-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Black Box update:

Made a little video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pupSsxZlLuM

And as requested, pictures.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/pantherp71/MMN/100_1287.jpg
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/pantherp71/MMN/100_1288.jpg

DTRMiguel
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Meguiars next generation texh wax 2.0 FTMFW the best was ive ever seen on a car besides Zymol hands down :bows:

babbage
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Black Box update:

Made a little video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pupSsxZlLuM

Cool Video. My issue that I have is I have pitting in my hood and roof. So when the LM dealer detailed it (waxed it) the pitted marks now have nice little white wax dots 'impregnated' in them.

Will the black box kit rid me of those? I do not want to buff it out (delete clear coat) with power tools.

The black box kit looks no different than a traditional white haze wax. Shouldn't it have a black haze to it after applying the wax???

a_d_a_m
04-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I used the black box and was only marginally satisfied with the results. It does fill in slight imperfections and pits, but it doesn't reflect as well as other waxes.

Ask anyone who's seen any of my cars and they will tell you I'm good at waxing cars.

I think I would like to try the black box as an initial wax and then hit it with a show-car glaze after that.

justbob
04-14-2009, 08:14 AM
I used the black box and was only marginally satisfied with the results. It does fill in slight imperfections and pits, but it doesn't reflect as well as other waxes.

Ask anyone who's seen any of my cars and they will tell you I'm good at waxing cars.

I think I would like to try the black box as an initial wax and then hit it with a show-car glaze after that.
Wouldn't doing that just leave white pits again? Almost like a why did i bother sinario? Just curious, i've been watching this thread and curious of the product myself. My car is usually shiny at all times, but it is starting to show tiny little white pit marks all over the front, light scratchs on the passenger side from the kids bookbags getting into the mommyvan next to it every morning, and heavy swirl marks. It is getting to the point of being "the absolute shiniest, thinnest paint in all the midwest" It has been machined buffed many of times and there just isn't much hope for repairs any longer. I am interested in trying this but afraid of losing my normal shine. And if i need to use my normal Mequiars Gold/ or Eagle 1 as a chaser then did i just completely waste $20.00?

not5-0
04-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Zymol is really bad for residual powder after it dries. Looks good other than that. Ice is my current fave. Nice thing about Ice is the ability to use on moldings to make them shine like new, with no streaks.
You might be referring to the cheap version of Zymol sold at FLAPS. If you use the carbon or ebony Zymol correctly you don't let it dry. It leaves no powder at all.

not5-0
04-14-2009, 08:32 AM

Mequiars it is for another year!when you apply Zymol you use VERY little, therefore you get many more applications from Zymol than you would from traditional waxes. Trust me, it's worth every penny if you want your black car to stand out.

a_d_a_m
04-14-2009, 08:42 AM
My car is usually shiny at all times, but it is starting to show tiny little white pit marks all over the front Mine too.

I am going to re-try with the black box sometime this week and will post my review. Maybe I did something wrong the first time.

justbob
04-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks Adam, i have a show coming up in a couple weeks.

Joe Walsh
04-14-2009, 09:34 AM
I've always used Castle Seal Glaze on my black cars.
It gets rid of the swirl marks and makes the paint look a mile deep.

http://www.castlepackspower.com/Catalog/WaxesCompounds/sealglaze.html

I gave some to a friend with a black BMW 325i who swore that nothing was as good as what he was using.
The next time I saw him he was going ballistic about how GREAT the Castle wax was. He said that he's never seen his black paint look so good.

I always used Castle Seal Glaze on my black 85 Mustang GT and when I went to car shows people would ask me 'who shot my car with the awesome black laquer paint!'
They would NOT believe me when I told them that it was OEM Ford paint.

Now, If it would quit raining and warm up, I can give my Marauder a nice wax job....:mad:

NOMARQUIS
04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I really like Zymol, and if you don't let it dry, it will leave less powder. Now I use Wizard's Shine Master. It's a polish, not a wax. It seems the hotter the sun, the deeper the shine. The Wizard's is silicone free and easy to remove and apply. The down side is it lasts about 2 washes. Regardless of wax, black cars really suck when you're a fussy SOB like I am.

MERCMAN
04-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Wouldn't doing that just leave white pits again? Almost like a why did i bother sinario? Just curious, i've been watching this thread and curious of the product myself. My car is usually shiny at all times, but it is starting to show tiny little white pit marks all over the front, light scratchs on the passenger side from the kids bookbags getting into the mommyvan next to it every morning, and heavy swirl marks. It is getting to the point of being "the absolute shiniest, thinnest paint in all the midwest" It has been machined buffed many of times and there just isn't much hope for repairs any longer. I am interested in trying this but afraid of losing my normal shine. And if i need to use my normal Mequiars Gold/ or Eagle 1 as a chaser then did i just completely waste $20.00?

Those "pits" are paint flaws that show up after time. The "official word" from Ford is that condition is caused by acid rain. :bs: It is caused by bad paint. I assume you must have an '03 because my paint did the same thing. No wax/cleaner/polish will do anything for that(except make it more obvious)

I eventually got my hood, top, and trunk repainted by Ford.(warranty) and those pits are gone.

BhamMarauder
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I just bought an 03 a few weeks ago. The previous owner kept it garaged, only put $5K miles on it, and used Zaino. I don't see any signs of paint flaws or pitting. Is this something I need to worry about? Would it have happened by now? Is there anything I can do to avoid it?

BODYMAN
04-23-2009, 10:16 AM

The only advantage I have found with colored wax is that if you have any small chips it does not leave a white spot in the nick, it helps to hide rock chips. I use a 3M glaze and just go over any rock chips with black wax to hide the chips.

MERCMAN
04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
I just bought an 03 a few weeks ago. The previous owner kept it garaged, only put $5K miles on it, and used Zaino. I don't see any signs of paint flaws or pitting. Is this something I need to worry about? Would it have happened by now? Is there anything I can do to avoid it?

If it is a 300A early build,, nothing to do but pray :)

BhamMarauder
04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
My 2003 is a 300B - 6468 of 7839. Sounds like I might be safe. Thanks!

justbob
04-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Those "pits" are paint flaws that show up after time. The "official word" from Ford is that condition is caused by acid rain. :bs: It is caused by bad paint. I assume you must have an '03 because my paint did the same thing. No wax/cleaner/polish will do anything for that(except make it more obvious)

I eventually got my hood, top, and trunk repainted by Ford.(warranty) and those pits are gone.
No, i've seen what your talking about on the roofs and such, these really are like chips because they are all over the headlights too. Nothing real major just a slight pain to hide.

So far so good!!!!! I tried the black box on a couple panels today and at first I tried to to get away from using the cleaner wax. No go! So I followed the instructions and did it step by step and what a difference!

I mean I really hate this product because now its starting to look so good that i'm afraid to drive the darn thing! On the deep scratches I used a 3" foam pad in a drill with turtle wax rubbing compound (the extremely light weight idiot proof in the green plastic bottle) and they came right out, followed by the black box treatment and BAM all gone!!

I've got almost half the car done now, many:beer:breaks! And I still have a week to finish before the next show.

All I can say is bring some muscles because removing step two can be a challenge is left for too long and use a good quality microfiber towel (well actually several) for removal.

PantherP71
04-25-2009, 08:40 AM
No, i've seen what your talking about on the roofs and such, these really are like chips because they are all over the headlights too. Nothing real major just a slight pain to hide.

So far so good!!!!! I tried the black box on a couple panels today and at first I tried to to get away from using the cleaner wax. No go! So I followed the instructions and did it step by step and what a difference!

I mean I really hate this product because now its starting to look so good that i'm afraid to drive the darn thing! On the deep scratches I used a 3" foam pad in a drill with turtle wax rubbing compound (the extremely light weight idiot proof in the green plastic bottle) and they came right out, followed by the black box treatment and BAM all gone!!

I've got almost half the car done now, many:beer:breaks! And I still have a week to finish before the next show.

All I can say is bring some muscles because removing step two can be a challenge is left for too long and use a good quality microfiber towel (well actually several) for removal.
Good to hear.

I love it.

CKMustangCobra
04-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I bought a new clay kit and Black Box today... will post before/afters when I get a chance in the next week or two.

fastblackmerc
04-25-2009, 06:38 PM
I used it on my hood this weekend.... night and day results.

babbage
05-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Ok I bought the Black Box Kit - I think it was $29 dollars.

Very very good results. Amazing. After step 2 - removing the cleaner compound the car was like wow. Smooth and slippery feel. Then I waited a day and applied the wax, then took it off. Between the cleaner and the wax I used one whole bottle of the black detailer spray .

I used SHOP TOWELS (The cheap soft blue kind!) those were my cheap microfiber towels - they worked out great. I used the whole roll - half for cleaning - half for remove wax and detail spray.

MANY white scratches and white pitting marks are GONE.

It took a while to get the cleaning compound off - then the wax - but wow - it's clean and really nice.

Also: dumped in 6 quarts of Royal Purple with an FL-820 S (of course) this weekend.
Sweet: RP was on $ale.

black box kit is great stuff - highly recommend it.

justbob
05-25-2009, 03:30 PM
My application is already starting to wear off.:alone: Keep in mind that my car hasn't been wet since Louisville (two months ago). Just after so many times with the duster i'm starting to see alot of it come back. Still looks way better than it did and like I mentioned, dust doesn't seem to collect dust like magnets like regular wax allways caused. I would have to wonder how long this would last in the elements though.

guspech750
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
i have yet to see someone mention zaino's car care products. i used to use them and the clay bar and all on my camaro and it looked awesome. i dont know if they have colored waxes but i think their stuff is the best.

guspech750
05-25-2009, 05:51 PM
from the zainos web site, might help you not put more swirls and scratches on your paint. leaf blower is a great idea too!!

Towel Guidelines

I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels Large White Bath Size for washing, drying and polishing. I don't like sponges natural or synthetic or any wash mitts, since they all can scratch.
Another great tip is to use a Toro 210mph Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in about 5 minutes.... without even touching the paint surface....
I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels to dry the car. Chamois or the Absorber and especially the Water Blade are flat and could trap a piece of dirt and scratch the paint finish. Towels have nap and are much safer and forgiving. Even if it were to pickup a piece of dirt, the nap would cushion it.
Again Towels must be name brand high quality 100% Made in USA.
You must use only white. Not colored towels..... colored towels are not to be used because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice.
When washing your towels. Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softener. They will leave a chemical residue on the towels which will transfer to your paint finish. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.
You should cut the selvages (borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.
Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.
As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.
Where to buy towels........
Some name brands make a lower quality version of their towels for K-Mart, Walmart and other big discount chains. These towels say 100% Cotton but that is not, totally true. The nap is 100% cotton but the backing material has polyester blend in it. So if you press a little to hard on the towel you can get some fine scratches or swirls. The point I'm trying to make is a lower quality towel is selling in a discount store for $6.00 or less (approximately) it is not the good stuff. I buy all my high quality towels at stores like Linens and Things and Bed, Bath and Beyond.
I realize that Cannon-Fieldcrest aka (Pillowtex) is no longer in business... but there are plenty of other towels still available. I buy all my Cannon & Fieldcrest towels in the Bath & Linen shops in the bigger stores in the mall. I pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per towel. You can also try Linens and Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond... If you cannot find the Cannon or Fieldcrest line, then any high quality substitute towel from the above stores is acceptable.
These are the real deal. I buy about 3 or 4 towels and they usually last me about a year.

justbob
05-25-2009, 09:16 PM
I have an air hose w/150 psi hanging next to the car, followed by a duster. Seems to work quite well instead of just dragging more particles across the shiny finish.

Glockafella
05-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I have a little problem I like to call...swirl marks...

justbob
05-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Car or toilet?

Glockafella
05-25-2009, 11:50 PM
both, but worse on the car...

justbob
05-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Gotcha, I did also, this won't remove any of them but will disquise most of them quite well for a short time. Nothing beats a good machine buff at your local body shop as long as you have enough clear left on the car. Mine is way too thin anymore for that.

Eat more fiber:D

Glockafella
05-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Washing my car on a sunny day is so disappointing anymore, shady days make me smile!

babbage
05-26-2009, 06:14 AM
from the zainos web site, might help you not put more swirls and scratches on your paint. leaf blower is a great idea too!!

Towel Guidelines

I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels Large White Bath Size for washing, drying and polishing. I don't like sponges natural or synthetic or any wash mitts, since they all can scratch.
Another great tip is to use a Toro 210mph Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in about 5 minutes.... without even touching the paint surface....
I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels to dry the car. Chamois or the Absorber and especially the Water Blade are flat and could trap a piece of dirt and scratch the paint finish. Towels have nap and are much safer and forgiving. Even if it were to pickup a piece of dirt, the nap would cushion it.
Again Towels must be name brand high quality 100% Made in USA.
You must use only white. Not colored towels..... colored towels are not to be used because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice.
When washing your towels. Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softener. They will leave a chemical residue on the towels which will transfer to your paint finish. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.
You should cut the selvages (borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.
Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.
As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.
Where to buy towels........
Some name brands make a lower quality version of their towels for K-Mart, Walmart and other big discount chains. These towels say 100% Cotton but that is not, totally true. The nap is 100% cotton but the backing material has polyester blend in it. So if you press a little to hard on the towel you can get some fine scratches or swirls. The point I'm trying to make is a lower quality towel is selling in a discount store for $6.00 or less (approximately) it is not the good stuff. I buy all my high quality towels at stores like Linens and Things and Bed, Bath and Beyond.
I realize that Cannon-Fieldcrest aka (Pillowtex) is no longer in business... but there are plenty of other towels still available. I buy all my Cannon & Fieldcrest towels in the Bath & Linen shops in the bigger stores in the mall. I pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per towel. You can also try Linens and Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond... If you cannot find the Cannon or Fieldcrest line, then any high quality substitute towel from the above stores is acceptable.
These are the real deal. I buy about 3 or 4 towels and they usually last me about a year.

What do you think about these?

http://www.rickly.com/sga/images/BLUETOWE.JPG

I think they worked great with the black box kit. I used 2 at a time, when one section of the car was done - I'd toss them. They were soft and perfectly clean as they were brand new. Not a good idea to use expensive cotton with Black box kit - I think they'd be ruined after one use.

rayjay
05-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Babbage, were those abrasive enough to remove the polish easily? I use them for many things, but never thougt about using them for polishing the car. I'll have to try them.

babbage
05-26-2009, 07:51 AM
They are soft yet tough enough to remove the Wax and cleaner from the black box kit. They say to mist the areas with detailer spray to aid in removal. I did have to put about 5-10 pounds of pressure on the shop towels. My arms were tired - bonus: I got a small arm workout.

babbage
05-26-2009, 07:52 AM
I have a little problem I like to call...swirl marks...

For black cars you are NOT suppose to go in circles rather long back and forth motions. This is what it said on the Turtle Wax black box - I heeded their advice. No circular power tools!

biodole
05-28-2009, 01:10 PM
For black cars you are NOT suppose to go in circles rather long back and forth motions. This is what it said on the Turtle Wax black box - I heeded their advice. No circular power tools!

This is true, but it also says you can use an orbital buffer to apply the stuff...would this leave swirl marks???

PantherP71
05-28-2009, 01:35 PM
orbital buffers go up and down and also side to side therefore there not spinning in 'circles'.

fastblackmerc
05-28-2009, 01:51 PM
What do you think about these?

http://www.rickly.com/sga/images/BLUETOWE.JPG

I think they worked great with the black box kit. I used 2 at a time, when one section of the car was done - I'd toss them. They were soft and perfectly clean as they were brand new. Not a good idea to use expensive cotton with Black box kit - I think they'd be ruined after one use.

I wouldn't use them. Paper towels are made out of wood pulp. I'd only use microfibre cloths. They are cheap enough to throw out after you use them.

a_d_a_m
05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
This is true, but it also says you can use an orbital buffer to apply the stuff...would this leave swirl marks??? What Sam said is true about orbitals. You can apply with them, no problem. Just remove in straight lines by hand for best results.

justbob
05-28-2009, 03:26 PM
It's all about who's driving it and the equipment used. I used my machine buffer first on low, then up to medium in the removol process with a microfiber pad and had awesome results.

2,4shofast
05-28-2009, 05:21 PM

Now I feel like a dumb ass, I never knew that you shouldnt go in a circular motion on black paint! Thanks for the info:beer:

tomd
06-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Here are 3 photos of Black In A Box 16157 Not to bad! The true test is how will it hold up to car washes??? I'll let you know!

6/15/09 first car wash and she still looks good with Black in a Box
6/24/09 2nd wash still looks good.
7/2/09 3rd still going strong.
7/16/09 4th still looking good just starting to wear down a little, no swirl marks showing up yet.
8/29/09 and another 3 or 4 car washes and still looks good.

96fleetwood
06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I posted these in the other black box thread.. here you go!

I did both the Fleetwood & Marauder:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0699.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0711.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0714.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0715.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0716.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0717.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0805.jpg

96fleetwood
06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0746.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0725.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0737.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0738.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0739.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0740.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0743.jpg

I highly recommend it if you have the time and patience!

Take care,
Elias

tomd
06-15-2009, 09:47 AM
6/15/09 first car wash and she still looks good with Black in a Box
6/24/09 2nd wash still looks good.
7/2/09 3rd still going strong.

TiTo35
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
I used the first generation of the TW black wax...I was in a rush but it did an ok job. I shal get the black box one of those days I can use someone garage!

tomd
06-25-2009, 03:45 AM
don't even try to power buff with "ICE" .....buffer marks won't go away.!!:bigcry:

I had no problem using a buffer? Did you use a micro fiber buffing pad? If I had streaks I’d spray them with cold water and hit them again with the buffer, the streaks came right out. I then finished the car with a Micro towel. I also agree that if you buy one bottle of ICE it will last you a lifetime!

tomd
06-25-2009, 03:54 AM
What Sam said is true about orbitals. You can apply with them, no problem. Just remove in straight lines by hand for best results.

I put the black wax on and took it off with a cheap orbital buffer, no problems, used a foam pad putting it on. I think it's all in the pad you use; I used a micro fiber taking it off. (See pictures in this thread)
Time wise I think it took me 4 hours using the cleaning wax then the carnauba wax.

sb2463
06-26-2009, 10:08 PM
May I suggest, Try Zaino's I feel is The best. Easy to use. Best if bought on line. Chain stores do not have this product. There are some detailers that have it. Zaino's delivers fast. It lasts a long time. someone stated that black is tough. You bet. No Swirl marks. I have used it since my marauder was new. www.zainobros.com or www.Zainostore.com.

Over my many years I have used most everything. This lasts and they have products that really work. See the customer comments on the site. Also the infor is all there
I have been gone from this site for a few years. moved from TX to Vegas. Re-joined yesterday. Luster and Reflection is absolutly the best.

Steve

CKMustangCobra
06-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I washed and clay bared the Marauder this morning and applied the Black Box.

Awesome results.

bossguy
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I looked in Walmart and they didn't have it. I looked online and they said Amazon.com has it(19.99). I ordered it sunday and it was at my door last night. I only got the hood done since that the part that really annoys me. It came out awesome! Of course it rained an hour later but still looked good this morning. I'd recommend it.

CKMustangCobra
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
4 washes later and a lot of miles... sits in the Florida sun.... still looks decent.

Jolly Roger
07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks to Black Box, installing my car cover is now a two person job.
(slides all over the place)
Guess theres a pro and a con to it. lol:)

Dr Caleb
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks to Black Box, installing my car cover is now a two person job.
(slides all over the place)
Guess theres a pro and a con to it. lol:)

My 'Indicator' that I need to wax my car is whether or not the California duster 'slides' or 'drags' across the paint.

MMMAN
07-29-2009, 04:13 AM
I've tried several different waxes and so far the Mcguires NXT 2.0 has given me the best results.I recommend there clay kit and scratch and swirl removal kit prior to applying the wax. With that being said, I'm always willing to try new products so I will try the black box as well.

Mflsjhs
10-17-2009, 06:36 PM
i have a black 03 and the black box made the paint look like the day the car came out of the factory

CKMustangCobra
10-19-2009, 08:00 AM
It has been a wile since I black boxed mine.... I need to re-apply now.

Black Dynamite
10-20-2009, 08:11 AM
I used it for the first time this last week. The car looks great, but not better than anything else I have ever tried. It's not that I'm dissapointed, I just won't plonk down extra money to buy it.

CKMustangCobra
11-10-2009, 06:06 AM
I used the black box cleaner wax and put some NXT 2.0 over it.

Looks a little better and I will see how long it holds up.

Mflsjhs
11-26-2009, 07:19 PM
i used the black box on my 03 marauder and my 06 lincoln ls sport and it works great makes both cars look like they just got waxed

W4LTD
11-26-2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pupSsxZlLuM&NR=1

PantherP71
11-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Yep, My car.

That video was posted.

tomd
11-28-2009, 03:20 AM
I've used Black in the box twice now and it's even better the second time around.

Rocket Man
12-03-2009, 08:08 PM
I've used Griot's, Mequiar's, and Mother's wax products on my 2003 300a black MM over the last few years, and have never achieved a better shine than with the Black Box kit I used last month. I spent about 4 hours on the whole car, and this product did more to eliminate swirl marks and really "de-tox" the old paint than anything else I have tried. You should have seen all the dirty black residue that came off onto my microfibre towels during the cleaning phase! The resultant shine is, I think, as good as I can possibly get my car to look without going to a professional detail shop. Lots of opinions out there, but this certainly worked well for me, and I'd highly recommend it to someone with half a day to invest in the finish of their black panther!

cpprice
06-14-2011, 03:01 AM
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07240.html

SC Cheesehead
06-14-2011, 05:57 AM
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07240.html

Clay bar + Croftgate Aquanil X did a fantastic job on my car.

http://www.croftgateusa.com/buy-croftgateusa-products/waterless-car-washing

Follow up with some Quick 'n Slick and you'll get one kick azz shine on your car.

http://croftgateusa.com/buy-croftgateusa-products/quick-n-slick

Croftgate stuff is the only products I use on my car; simple and easy to apply, and it really works.

MERCMAN
06-14-2011, 06:14 AM
I have used ALL the aforementioned products. I recently gave all of it to my son EXCEPT for the Croftgate. Zymol, mothers, mcguires, blackbox, eagle one, turtle wax, ice. FTW and best results with least effort with long lasting results Croftgate walks away with the prize.

bugsyc
06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
I've been using the Black Box for a while...First the cleaner and then the wax...Looks good.Hides minor imperfections.alot of work and I go thru alot of micro fiber towels..All the black dye or whatever is in it comes of on the towels..use once and throw away....car looks great after a thorough treatment...Just did the cleaner,wax with black box and then went over the whole thing with Zaino glaze..Awesome...I know,post pictures,,will do..

Micahdogg
07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I've read through most of this thread, and I'm certainly no pro at getting a nice finish from a car (obviously why I searched this thread out in the first place), but this is what I've learned over the years.

If you want a nice sexy finish that is glass smooth, it depends very little on what "wax" you are using. You need to clean the paint. By cleaning, I don't mean a car wash.

When I detail a car, I run it through the power sprayer to get the visible dirt off the car, drive it home, towel it off, then go to work with a clay bar.

Autozone sells a "Clay Magic" kit for $10 that is a great product for the money. But the clay does the work. It pulls out the residual bug grime, tar, sap, etc... all the little stuff that you don't really notice. Once you have fully clay barred a vehicle, then waxing it is a piece of cake.

I usually spend 2 hours clay barring and less than 1 hour waxing. No matter what wax you use, it'll turn out with an amazing finish. The only difference is it's ability to protect, how easy it is to apply/remove, and it the wax itself leaves any kind of overlapping film to where you see areas that you applied it to.

I've been using ICE for my wax because it goes on easy, but you need maybe 5 clean microfiber towels to remove it fully. Once you wipe a few panels off, you have so much ICE on a towel that you are kind of "reapplying" it as you move to other panels. Another couple nice perks with ICE is it won't bleach out your trim, won't cake in the cracks and can be applied to hot panels.

For tips on claying - Cut the bar in half before you use it because if you drop it - you have to toss it. I cut a bar in 4 pieces. Also, make sure your paint is cool - so work in the shade. You can etch the paint when spraying the solution on a hot panel. Work the bar back and forth, not in circles - this way if you have somehow contaminated your clay, it won't leave swirls. I spray a maybe half the fender generously, work the clay back and forth with one hand, feel the panel out with my other until I know the grim is gone, wipe the panel dry and move along. When you run out of "Solution," just use spray detailer or even soapy water solution. You just need to lubricate the clay so it glides.

P.S. If you buy a high dollar wax like Zaino, take it inside the house through the winter months. Most of this stuff turns to junk once it freezes.

P.P.S Here is an obscure shot of the truck:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/racecougar/The%20Stang/TBU%20Meet%206-11-11/P1120048.jpg

The guys were having fun littering it with trash, but this was taken last month. It's a 1999 F150 that has sat outside since the day I bought it new. Original paint, but was treated to claybar and ICE a few days earlier.

crownvic05
08-02-2011, 08:44 AM
black box is great.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/isatisfy2003/7-22.jpg
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/isatisfy2003/crownvic5.jpg
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/isatisfy2003/crownvic4.jpg
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/isatisfy2003/crownvic3.jpg

Canadasvt
08-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Well I've read every post here. Used everything known to us, and even ones not already mentioned here including http://ca.shiningmonkeycorp.com/products/107-seal-and-protect.aspx (http://ca.shiningmonkeycorp.com/products/107-seal-and-protect.aspx)

Maquires didn't work for me this spring and it was time to buy some new 'stuff'. Purchased the Black Box on sale today and hope to try it out soon. Mothers is my favourite but like cars and homes, I'm always looking for something better.

P.S. Wish I had a garage like that fire station!

bigmerc281
08-19-2011, 10:03 PM
give it a nice look. But doesn't last long

NXSBOB
08-20-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,28 (http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,28)
404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.