PDA

View Full Version : Pedals being machined video

pedalpusher
03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Hello,
I'm still here. Here's a short video of Cadillac CTS brake and clutch pedals being machined. Obviously, this is just a portion of the machining that gets done to them before they are complete. It's kinda fun to watch.

Brian

You might want to turn your volume down before starting.

yMG4QeRKY14

Dr Caleb
03-23-2009, 08:03 AM
You might want to turn your volume down before starting.

Yea, unless a dentists office soothes you. ;)

Good stuff Brian. :coolman:

Marauderjack
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Very Cool!!:beer::bows:

PantherP71
03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Awesome,
I use to work at a machine shop so I've seen this process before. :D

hot-rauder
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
As a certified CNC machinist, I say it looks pretty good. I dont hear anything wrong, sounds good to me. But then again, milling is music to my ears lol.

I have always wanted to asak about your tool paths though. I understand that it is an odd shape, especially with all the circles in it, but could you maybe do a finish pass with all straight lines and a simple ring around each circle? I dont know what your production of these is, or how strong of tooling youa re using, so I wont tell ya how to run your business lol. Just always thought it would looks great to have a neat/clean machined look.

What kind of CNC mill are you using?

SC Cheesehead
03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Brian,

What's stock thickness for these?

pedalpusher
03-23-2009, 07:29 PM
As a certified CNC machinist, I say it looks pretty good. I dont hear anything wrong, sounds good to me. But then again, milling is music to my ears lol.

I have always wanted to asak about your tool paths though. I understand that it is an odd shape, especially with all the circles in it, but could you maybe do a finish pass with all straight lines and a simple ring around each circle? I dont know what your production of these is, or how strong of tooling youa re using, so I wont tell ya how to run your business lol. Just always thought it would looks great to have a neat/clean machined look.

What kind of CNC mill are you using?

Early on I experimented with different tool paths to try to clean up the look. I even tried machining the path around the holes a couple thousandths deeper. In the end, with all that has to be on the pedal, it just didn't make enough of a difference to be worthwhile. And then we started doing the Satin finish, which probably sells in a 9 to 1 ratio to the Machined finish, and we've just left it as is since.

Brian

pedalpusher
03-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Brian,

What's stock thickness for these?

The Machined and Satin finish pedals are machined from 1/8", which is the thinnest material to be considered billet. The Grid, Block and Cleats are machined from 3/16".

Brian

sd8683
03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow that's extremely cool! Remind's me of my favorite show... "How its made"......... Hmmmmmmmm..... Control arm's come to mind:cool4:

oldekid
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I need to crank up the volume, run it again, and call my wife. She'll think I'm running the vacuum. :beer:

fastblackmerc
09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Neat video Brian!