PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Install

Murader03
09-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Guys! Installed my DR Sway bar today. Easy job, took longer getting the car on the jack stands than doing the work. Anyway, I noticed that when the upper bushings and washers were installed, that the bushings don't fit as the old Ford ones did. They butt up against each other due to the lip on each one. Is this okay? The frame mount they go thru just isn't thick enough to take up the lip space from each bushing. Did I do something wrong?

TIA

RF Overlord
09-30-2003, 04:36 PM
The Addco instructions say you're supposed to tighten the end links until you can just barely rotate the centre spacer sleeve by hand...it's because the bushings are polyurethane and are much stiffer than the stock ones, so you don't crank down on them as hard. I did that and don't recall there being any other issues. When I was recently lucky enough to have the car on a lift, I looked everything over carefully and didn't see anything unusual...can you post a picture?

BUCKWHEAT
09-30-2003, 05:31 PM
When I installed mine, there was no problem. Be sure the bar isn't upside down. That might distort the upper bushing mount, but I think it would have been obvious. I centered the bar, tightened the two main bushings, then snugged the ends in accordance with the instructions. The bushings (upper & lower) all looked "right" when I was done. Don't know what else might have happened. Good luck.

Logan
09-30-2003, 05:44 PM
There isn't any way the bar would go on upside down... When installed, there should be just the slight bit of compression on the poly bushings. On my car, that was with about 1/2" of stud sticking up out of the top of the nut on the upper mount.

Murader03
09-30-2003, 07:05 PM
It just didn't look right to me, but I guess it is. The lower bushings were fine as they won't bind on each other as the bar thickness won't allow this to happen. One the upper end, the two bushings will in fact jam against each other as the frame mounting hole is only about the thickness of one of the bushing lips. So, when you put both of them in, they actually bind on each other instead of the frame piece. The two lips on the bushings combine to be thicker than the frame mounting hole, and thus don't actually compress onto the frame. If I get a chance to get back under the car, I'll try and get a picture of the upper mount. Other than this issue, the instrall was a snap.

Marauderman
09-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Put mine own last night--no problem as described by others here--real good mod for the buck...Tom

Petrograde
09-30-2003, 07:14 PM
I can't wait for mine to show up! any day now, but when it gets here I'm going straight to the Powder Coaters and getting done in Ford Blue, along with my valve covers and alt. bracket. you yhink the pulleys would be too much?

Tom

TAF
09-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Petrograde
you yhink the pulleys would be too much?

Tom

yep...:D You ARE a "monster"!

RF Overlord
10-01-2003, 04:15 AM
I think powder-coating the alternator bracket will void your warranty...all the other items should be okay...

Petrograde
10-01-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
I think powder-coating the alternator bracket will void your warranty...

RF, are you serious? why would powder coating the bracket void the warrenty?

Tom

Macon Marauder
10-01-2003, 04:52 AM
I doubt he's serious...

TripleG
10-01-2003, 05:47 AM
Were would the sway bar help? Is it a upgrade to one that is there or is it an additonal piece of equipment? ANy help is always appreciated.

george

Logan
10-01-2003, 06:05 AM
It's an upgrade to the original equipment.

Constable
10-02-2003, 04:23 PM
YEA!!! mine just showed up... I'm on my way over to my buddy's shop to put it on now, see ya!!

Racerx88
10-03-2003, 06:20 AM
I was the first to get in on this and my sway bar is still not here yet! I can't wait! Maybe it'll get here today so I can put it on tomorrow.

2003_MM_FYRE49
10-03-2003, 09:15 AM
I put this sway bar on in Aug. I had about 4000 miles on my car at the time. I can tell you that you won't regret this purchace. The new bar made a noticable world of difference from the "git go". I put it to task a couple of weeks ago when I was in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. I was able to take the 30 MPH turns through the mountains at 60 MPH without sqeeling the tires. Have fun with your new toys.

Tim :fire: 49

studio460
10-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Wow! That's a rather IMPRESSIVE testimonial, 2003_MM_FYRE49! I should receive mine next week sometime--CAN'T WAIT to get it on! Hope I'm not too retarded to do the install myself . . .

Did you do the springs yet, too?

Murader03
10-04-2003, 10:21 AM
This is really an easy do-it-yourself mod. That is assuming you either use ramps or jack stands placed under the axle. "Do not let the axle hang!" The hardest part about the entire swap was getting the upper nut off the original end links. The rest is easy. My only problem was getting the upper bushings to seat properly and I still don't think they are right. The bushing lips combined between the two seems to allow for a larger gap than the frame piece they fit through. Otherwise, I took a sweeping right hand downhill off ramp from a local highway that is posted as 35MPH. I've run it before the mod at about 55-60 and felt a little uneasy. I took it yesterday, after the mod at 70 and felt like I could have raised it a little higher. The back end really stays on the ground now!

darebren
10-05-2003, 07:00 AM
I tgot mine on in about 45 minutes (hardest part was unscerewing the old mounting hardware from up inside the top. I did not jack the car up, just shimmed myself under there. all in all, a pretty easy job, used marine grease too.

first drive impressions... wow, you can really tell a difference. car is flat, rear wheels get behind you quicker it seems around turns, power to the ground feeling. My old sway bar was really, no bigger around than my pinky finger, it must have been a mismatched part

TripleTransAm
10-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by darebren
My old sway bar was really, no bigger around than my pinky finger, it must have been a mismatched part

I can't speak for Ford's reasoning behind this, but I know GM dials in some very conservative camber values in their cars to promote understeer versus oversteer. Your average driver will maintain control in an understeer situation (plow) more than in an oversteer situation... I'm sure they're still smarting over the whole Nader / Corvair stability thing from the 60s.

Since the MM already has a healthy dose of negative camber, I suppose they might have decided to go skimpy on the rear sway bar... didn't I read some reports about the bigger Dennis sway bar increasing the tendency to oversteer?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong with this train of thought...

Constable
10-06-2003, 09:45 AM
My only problem was getting the upper bushings to seat properly and I still don't think they are right. The bushing lips combined between the two seems to allow for a larger gap than the frame piece they fit through.

I too had this problem. The lips on the two bushings that are at the top (frame side) of the endlinks --- the lips combine to be thicker than the frame.

I know the instructions stress that you should be able to rotate the spacer sleeve by hand when you're done. However, if I left it that loose, those two lips would allow for too much play on the frame, causing a loud "clunk" sound when cornering (due to the bushings pushing and pulling on the frame).

I got back under there and tightened everything down until the bushings bulged *slightly* and had a good grip around the frame. Now everything seems to be operating as it should. I just can't rotate the spacer sleeve by hand, that's all.

gonzo50
10-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Yeah! Just received my MMX driveshaft and DR swaybar, now to find a place competent enough to install them. I'm not going to a dealer for the install, I'll go to a speedshop first that does only that type of work. :D

RF Overlord
10-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Carlos:

Both of those pieces can be installed in your driveway on ramps, with simple hand tools...the driveshaft just needs a 12mm 12-point socket, and the sway bar needs a 10mm (or maybe an 8mm...I forget) socket for the bushings and something like a 9/16 for the end links...

Racerx88
10-06-2003, 12:12 PM
I see a lot of you guys have already gotten your sway bars and drive shafts, so, on average, how long is it taking for you to receive your stuff after ordering?
I ordered my sway bar from the MM Store on 9-25, my card was charged on 9-27, and I haven't seen anything yet. I really want that sway bar!

Petrograde
10-06-2003, 02:19 PM
Same here Dean, charged on the 27th ... no sway bar yet :(

BTW- anyone know the torques on the hardware?

Tom

RF Overlord
10-06-2003, 03:04 PM

Bushing bolts are 18 ft/lbs (and be sure to use a good grade of marine grease on the bushings)... end links are tightened until you can just barely rotate the center sleeve (tube) by hand (per Addco).

Racerx88
10-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Just PM'ed Logan, he says that Dennis had to have some of them dropped shipped from Addco, so they should be here soon.

Logan
10-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Guys, you'll get your sway bars. You think Addco had 30 - 03 Marauder swaybars just sittin' up on the shelves? ;)

Takes time to bend em and send em...

gonzo50
10-06-2003, 03:19 PM
OK, got the torque numbers for the swaybar, what is it for the driveshaft ?
Is there any loctite used on any of the installs ?
I guess you use the old brackets for the bushings on the swaybar because mine didn't come with those.
Do all swaybars for the Marauder come in description as "Ford Crown Victoria", mine did. :confused: Thanks.

Marauderman
10-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Bushing bolts are 18 ft/lbs (and be sure to use a good grade of marine grease on the bushings)...

WOW! I did not use any grease--just followed directions and don't recall any ref to grease---will that be a problem????

RF Overlord
10-06-2003, 03:52 PM
gonzo:

I read in the driveshaft group-buy thread (I think) that the torque on those is 83 ft/lbs...good question about Loctite, though...anybody? (the sway bar doesn't need it)

The kit SHOULD have come with new bushing brackets... the old ones won't fit...

and, yes, the box does say Crown Victoria on it...

Marauderman
10-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Hey - wait a minute= What if you did not use grease on install? Any problem here?

RF Overlord
10-06-2003, 04:20 PM
The new bushings supplied with the kit are polyurethane, so they will bind without grease. That will probably ruin them if you go long enough, and in the short term, they may start making clunking or snapping sounds when you turn, as they bind and release...

From Addco's site:

For proper tightness of end-links and maximum bushing life, the end-link nut should be tightened until you can no longer rotate the spacer by hand. Over-tightening end-links could result in bolt failure.

Synthetic brake caliper or a marine grade grease can be used on tight fitting rubber bushings. Urethane mid-section bushings must be lubed.

gonzo50
10-06-2003, 04:30 PM
The kit SHOULD have come with new bushing brackets... the old ones won't fit...

and, yes, the box does say Crown Victoria on it...
Also I noticed that the picture in the store gallery of the swaybar has the bushings in red, mine came in black. :confused:

Marauderman
10-06-2003, 04:45 PM
Same here! Was thinking--how neat! gonna get them in red --to match my inserts and lights--cool--But --no ---old black ones came instead------BOO HOO!!

RF Overlord
10-06-2003, 04:50 PM
The sway bar and the driveshaft are both gone from the store...I thought the group buy was extended to Wednesday... :confused:

Mine were also black...if they're very hard and somewhat shiny, they're urethane...black is probably better anyways; harder for the dealer to tell it's not stock...

Logan
10-06-2003, 04:59 PM
RF... You can call Dennis directly until Wednesday for the extended pricing.

I didn't have a problem re-using the factory sway brackets with the new bushings at all?

RF Overlord
10-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks, Logan...

In all honesty, I didn't even try to re-use the old ones, I just a$$umed since the new bar was a bigger diameter, they wouldn't fit... c'est la guerre...

studio460
10-06-2003, 06:36 PM
I GOT MY SWAYBAR TODAY!!!

gonzo50
10-07-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Logan
RF.....I didn't have a problem re-using the factory sway brackets with the new bushings at all?
IMO if you purchase a product that suppose to come with all the hardware as shown in a brochure, or catalog then thats what I expect when I open the package.

Now in my case I didn't receive the bushing brackets with my order, I would prefer to use new items as oppose to used ones.

I called ADCCO directly and they weren't sure if the kit suppose to have brackets, :confused: after being on hold for awhile I then called Reinhart Automotive and they said the brackets suppose to come with the kit, anyways they are calling ADCCO to have them ship me the brackets. :up: Thanks Dennis.

Constable
10-07-2003, 09:51 AM
My stock brackets work fine with the new bushings... keep in mind that this might be an updated version of the sway bar package. Maybe they decided to make it so we can re-use some of the factory hardware....

gonzo50
10-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by gonzo50
I called ADCCO directly and they weren't sure if the kit suppose to have brackets, :confused: after being on hold for awhile I then called Reinhart Automotive and they said the brackets suppose to come with the kit, anyways they are calling ADCCO to have them ship me the brackets. :up: Thanks Dennis.
Well, bottom line is "no brackets" Reinhart Automotive called me back and said that all other kits they opened up had no brackets also, just curious as to when they decided to not add the brackets when others have said they received theirs with brackets. :confused:

Oh well, I guess my kit is complete. :depress:

Petrograde
10-07-2003, 05:21 PM
no brackets here either, ... no biggie, I'm sure the stock ones will work just fine.

Tom

LincMercLover
10-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Just put mine in. No brackets and everything fits great. Probably had a transition at some point where they decided to include bigger bushings for the stock brackets instead of smaller bushings with new brackets.

jgc61sr2002
10-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Who received brackets with there sway bar?

LincMercLover
10-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Shall we post a poll?

Kelly
10-10-2003, 07:19 PM
My sway bar came unpainted! should it be painted before it is installed to protect it from rust?
It was part # 00K1-650-OU

Petrograde
10-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Kelly, ... they are all un-painted. prime & paint at your leisure. BTW, take a look at your stock sway bar, betcha it's not painted either.

Tom

RF Overlord
10-11-2003, 04:22 AM
My stock sway bar was painted black...the new one is anodised, so there's no need for painting unless it makes you feel better...

Kelly
10-11-2003, 05:52 AM
:) Thanks!

studio460
10-12-2003, 06:06 AM
Installation:

I installed my swaybar last night! I mounted the main axle brackets using the two new black poly bushings first (I had already preassembled the end-link bushings and spacers onto the swaybar). I used a liberal amount of Marine wheel bearing grease as suggested by RF. When trying to secure the end-links, I thought it a bit difficult to compress the bar so that at least one thread of bolt stuck through the top of the end-link, but I was finally able to do it using just hand pressure. I ended up with a bit more than a 1/4" of stud sticking through the top nut on the end links--I could still turn the spacer with a pair of channel lock pliers, applying light pressure on the spacer.

Went for a quick test drive, then tightened end-links another few turns. Then test drove again. The car does seem to show a marked improvement in cornering. Luckily, no squeaks, no clunks were heard.

Odd things I noticed:

The part where the stock swaybar mounts into the end-link sat perfectly perpendicular in the end links. The Addco swaybar seems off-kilter by about 10-degrees (the end-links still hang perpendicular in relation to the frame mount, however). I didn't notice the bushing binding issue mentioned earlier.

Cosmetics:

Before the install, I painted the swaybar with black epoxy spray paint. I left the end-link finishes as they were. I then painted my stock brackets with black epoxy spray paint too. I have the red end-link bushings (the two main axle bushings are black). Everything looks pretty.

P.S. No new brackets here either.

studio460
10-12-2003, 02:17 PM
By the way, I did this all on my back, stomach sucked in! It wasn't easy! I live in an apartment, so no where to store car ramps! Funny thing was, I couldn't find my open-end wrench to re-tighten end-links after the first test drive . . . guess where it was . . . (still hanging on the top nut of the end-link!)

Anyway, I'll check to see if the swaybar is still off-kilter today. It's impossible to install this upsidedown, right?

Kelly
10-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Mine is a little off-kilter as well, looks like the bar is about 1/4" off in length. maybe! The bar looks good and is a big difference in control,well worth the money.

Bugtussle
10-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Anyone know what the stock rear bar size is on the MM?

Glenn
10-12-2003, 10:07 PM
The stock RSB is 21 mm and the Addco replacement is about 26 mm. The RSB is a big improvement for this big sedan. I also painted my bar black because I just didn't want any mod to stand out.

By the way, how the h*** do you stop these annoying pop-up adds. I have downloaded every security patch Windows offers and they still keep popping-up - about one every 10-15 seconds.

Glenn

RF Overlord
10-13-2003, 04:21 AM
Glenn:

Security patches won't stop them as they aren't really a security threat, they're just wicked annoying. I use the new Google Toolbar (http://toolbar.google.com/); it has a pop-up blocker that works great (2377 pop-ups blocked so far!) and it's simple to use...the only thing to watch out for is if you click on a hyperlink that opens in a new window, the Toolbar thinks it's a pop-up and blocks it. You get around that by holding down the "Ctrl" key when you click...it's all in the instructions...

studio460
10-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Checked my swaybar install today in the daylight--still off-kilter by about 15-degrees (it hasn't increased, I just underestimated the angle). Works fine, though. No clunks, no squeaks (thanks, RF). I'm taking turns on my usual commute with virtually no tire squeal now, and the entry to the turn is noticably flatter. Tomorrow I'll take my camera to work and try to take some pictures of the end-links. My thanks to Dennis, Logan, and Addco for making this all happen!