PDA

View Full Version : Rim cleaning tip

blackonblack
03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi all just wanted to share something that I tried on my rims. Because I run my car all year round in Massachusetts witch means plenty of salt and sand my rims were looking hazy and milky, I don’t have too much road rash or heavy scratches luckily. I priced out having them repolished locally but was quoted at least $200 per rim. While in the auto parts store buying car wash soap I saw the Black Magic Bullet Wheel Polishing Tool witch gave me an idea since our rims are clear coated maybe I could treat them like clear coated paint. I bought the tool and also turtle wax Premium Rubbing Compound and Meguiar’s number 9 swirl remover 2.0. I started by obviously making sure that the rim was clean then applied with a sock inside out, the rubbing compound on half the rim. With the polishing tool I worked it till most of the compound was blended off, and then wiped off excess residue with a micro fiber cloth. I finished the rim and repeated the steps with the number 9 swirl remover. And wow what a difference can really tell that the rim is much more vibrant and brighter than before. Sorry I do not have any before and after pictures because it’s raining outside and every time I take one the flash makes it look horrible and no flash looks blurry. Any way just thought I would share, worth a try.

Drewstang
03-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I will have to try this. Thanks for the heads up.

namllitsdad
03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
While in the auto parts store buying car wash soap I saw the Black Magic Bullet Wheel Polishing Tool witch gave me an idea since our rims are clear coated maybe I could treat them like clear coated paint. .

What is the Tool? I could not locate it on line....

Pics of the Rims would be nice!

blackonblack
03-29-2009, 07:28 PM
What is the Tool? I could not locate it on line....

http://www.semadigital.com/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=catalog&template=detail.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=4799&site=np2008

Pics of the Rims would be nice!

I'll try during daylight for pics

CKMustangCobra
03-30-2009, 06:46 AM
I wax my wheels when I wax the car.

justbob
03-30-2009, 07:16 AM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4290394.html?series=62

I bought mine at Autozone. $25.00

mgmsleeper
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
anyone has results pics yet?

blackonblack
04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Here are some photos of the rims, sorry I had to wait for the weather to improve and rewash the car.

ctrlraven
04-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I treat my wheels just like I do the paint. Good wheel scrub with a boar's hair wheel brush with Turtle wax ICE car wash soap, clay bar, cleaner wax and then wax them. Also makes it a lot easier to clean if you take the wheels off.

bigmerc2003
04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
how do you clean and keep clean the inside of the rim? I have a hard time with mine no matter what I do.:help:

I have gone as far as wet sanding and buffing and clean coating them but they still look dull and dirty, sucks when the outside shines and the inside sucks

BirchMarauder
04-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I used the "Mother's CONE" and some 3M rubbing compound and my rims look freaking brand new again. all the glaze is gone. I tried to take some pictures but the glimmer of the sun from the rim shattered the lens on my camera.:D

Embassy
04-13-2009, 05:13 AM

Ditto. A few light coats of a sealant/protectant like Klasse's AIO keeps the wheels shiney, clean, and resistant to brake dust and debris.

Take care when using something so abrasive as rubbing compound. I'd personally start with some very mild swirl removers.

Also, you'd be amazed at what a clay bar will do the Marauder wheels.

BAD MERC
04-13-2009, 05:32 AM
When I clean the inside of mine I actually use a bug-scrubber and some mineral spirits. Then soap and water. I have never polished my wheels, my car is down right now getting Metco's and 4:10's - sounds like a great time to do the wheels again.

ckadiddle
04-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Once you get them restored, you can use Turtle Wax Ice to gloss them up.