PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fluid Change ( Valve Body)

Marylandrauder
03-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I have read that dropping the trans pan will get out 5 quarts of transmission fluid.

I also read on here that if you loosen the valve body bolts and let the trans drain for an hour you can get another 5 quarts of transmission fluid out, is this correct.

How much would you loosen the valve body bolts and what would you torque them back too.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

justbob
03-30-2009, 03:13 PM
9 Quarts with regular pan total.

You only need to lower it an 1/8 of an inch or so.

Follow the install instructions in this document for tightening sequence at 90 in.pds.
http://www.crownvic.net/tech/4R70Wnotes.pdf

Marylandrauder
03-30-2009, 03:45 PM
I guess I was off by one quart, am I right in that there are 4 bolts that I need to loosen, does it matter which ones I loosen 1st, and does it matter which ones I tighten down.

justbob
03-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Twenty five bolts, 8 & 10 mm.
Just read the document, the only part that concerns you is the removal and install of the valve body however.

Marylandrauder
03-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Twenty five bolts, 8 & 10 mm.
Just read the document, the only part that concerns you is the removal and install of the valve body however.

I reread it, I now understand what I need too do.

stangracr
04-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Why not just take it to a ford dealer and have it flushed? Works great without the mess. Plus those bolts should be torqued to specs.

ed

Marauderjack
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
AND...when you loosen the valve body it is advisable to use new gaskets when putting it back up!!!;)

Marylandrauder
04-01-2009, 07:17 PM
AND...when you loosen the valve body it is advisable to use new gaskets when putting it back up!!!;)

Zack, did not say this, are you sure.

Zack
04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Why not just take it to a ford dealer and have it flushed? Works great without the mess. Plus those bolts should be torqued to specs.

ed

Good advice from both, but absolutely not necessary.
Flame away :flamer:

Marylandrauder
04-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I read an old post where Zack did this with loosening the valve body bolts, obviously I would be doing this when the engine and trans are cold, I do not see how loosening these bolts just a little bit would hurt the gasket.

When you loosen the valve body bolts does some of the fluid drain out of the torque converter.

If I get 10 quarts of fluid out is there a proper way to add the fluid before starting the car back up, or if I drain out a certain number of quarts, just replace that amount.

Is there any problem with the torque converter being dry or is this a non issue since it will quickly fill up.

Zack
04-01-2009, 07:51 PM
you are gonna talk yourself out of doing anything if you keep asking questions!
Let is drain out, then put 6-8 quarts back in to start and fill it from there.

Marylandrauder
04-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks Zack, no more questions.

DOOM
04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
get er done.

Marylandrauder
04-02-2009, 01:36 PM
get er done.

I plan on doing this Friday night, and hopefully I will be driving the car on Saturday or Sunday, just want to let the fluid drain overnite.

JimmyXR7
04-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Is there any problem with the torque converter being dry or is this a non issue since it will quickly fill up.

When a rebuilt trans is installed it is dry.

Purchase a trans funnel which is about 2 feet long and easy to pour into. Put the first 4 quarts in and have the rest ready. Have your assistant start the engine and start pouring the rest in. Have the assistant shift the trans through the gear selector as he has his foot on the brake. Save the last 1 or 2 quarts to fill to the proper level so you will not overfill the transmission.

Jim

justbob
04-05-2009, 08:56 AM
I put in nine, started and ran through all the gears, and was good to go. This is NOT a hard job. Not a clean one either.

BTW good o'l bar soap does wonders for trany fluid in your hair.

imorb1994
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
When a rebuilt trans is installed it is dry.

When a rebuilt trans is installed properly the torque converter is prefiled. And pan filled atleast 4+ quarts. Dont know how that can be called dry filled.

Charlie Costell
04-05-2009, 05:32 PM
I perform T-Tech trans service at my shop. No need to change the filter if you do it every 20-24k miles. I run 15 qts of fluid through the trans. No mess, and it is $60.00 plus whatever fluid you want to use. I am sure there are several people using this method in many cities and states.

cvpiftw
04-05-2009, 07:30 PM
T techs scare the **** outta me. **** stays in those things IMO.