PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Tune vs Pretune.(SCT)

guccijayda
04-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Well this has been a decision I have yet to make. I was interested in tuning my car, but not sure which route to take. I know that a dyno tune is better then a pretune for my car performance wise, but is the price difference worth it? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen some members with just a dynotune and minimal other mods that hit 13's with and without 4:10's.

I live in Maryland and I called Excessive Motorsports in Mannassas, Va. They quoted me $465 for a dynotune as long as I supply them a unlocked sct. But if I buy the sct(xcal3) from them, they will charge me around $770 total. Thats alot of money.People in My area say nothing but good things about this speed shop as I was referred to them by many members on this site

Now if I want to go with a pretune, I could choose lidios, DR, or Zachs for less then $400 total.

OR

Dynotune from Excessive:$665-770

How much of a difference are we talking about here as far as hp/tq gains go? Please consider that this is a great shop that will do a great tune. Do you think the increased performance gains of the dynotune vs the pretune is worth it price wise? THANKS!

Zack
04-03-2009, 03:18 PM
If you have minimal bolt ons, an actual dyno tune is not going to give you much more that a canned tune.
Generally, the bolt ons make the power, not the actual tune!

guccijayda
04-03-2009, 03:46 PM
If you have minimal bolt ons, an actual dyno tune is not going to give you much more that a canned tune.
Generally, the bolt ons make the power, not the actual tune!

Thanks on the info bud! Well, all i have is a JLT intake and flowmaster 40's. I plan on getting the php spacer and the steeda UDP. I guess it would be better if I get those bolt ons first and then get the tune.

ctrlraven
04-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Pretune is good up until you get headers then a dyno tune will be needed to make sure your air/fuel ratio is where it needs to be. Everything else besides a force induction kit will be just fine with a pretune.

guccijayda
04-03-2009, 08:44 PM
good info.Yeah I'm only planning to do minor bolt ons, no headers for a long time.