PDA

View Full Version : How are you getting rid of minor rim scuffs?

justbob
04-12-2009, 08:04 PM
I spent 1/2 an hour on only one spoke today trying to get rid of years of scuffs from car wash's and such and had no luck:(. It actually looks a little worse! I tried two different rubbing compounds, one being quite more aggressive than the other, chased by scratch x, followed by eagle1 wax. I also tried black magic polish in the mix. I have a big and little mothers power ball and the new black magic bullet, also a small 3" buffer pad with foam and cloths for the drill and all the time in the world to get this done right but could use some guidance.

What's your solution and steps/tools used?

Blk Mamba
04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm interested myself, I'll be listening.

Georges93LX
04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't really know the answer but I'll take a guess. If the scratch is small and light you may be able to get by with a fine rubbing compound. If the scratch is deep I would strip the clearcoat and use an aggressive aluminum polishing compound and then clearcoat the entire wheel again.

Blackened300a
04-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Since the rims are clearcoated like paint, then a light wet sand and polish may do the trick for the deep scratches. I used Meguires swirl remover 2.0 on the rim followed by a show glaze. This made the rims look like chrome! I just dont know how long i will last.

justbob
04-13-2009, 06:38 AM
I did see Blackonblacks rim cleaning tips but i was looking for more ideas as this just made them cleaner not mirror like on mine.

BigCars4Ever
04-13-2009, 09:47 AM
I close one eye and squint.