PDA

View Full Version : 5R55N Transmission

DTRMiguel
04-13-2009, 06:37 AM
I like the thought of the Tiptronic style transmission being able upshift/downshift whenever i want to.I would love to do a swap like this Im just curious if anyone has tried this swap before? Its the transmission from the Lincoln LS.

ImpalaSlayer
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
if its from the ls i cant imagine it holding up to a 4500lb car with much more power

justbob
04-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I have learned that the 5r55s (mustang) tranny is great! Untill s/c:( Staying well within its limits it is a very smooth trans and its allways in the right gear. This was gonna be my little experiment, however it's not so much H.P. numbers but torque is a huge killer on these. They are not holding up well at all and apparently the parts used are not really upgradeable because of design.

Then you add a few hundred more pounds of weight, this can not be good for a weak from factory trans.

It would probably hold up for me because there isn't much else i desire doing to my car, but the risks of eminate failure being preached to me from all directions has finally soaked in. I normally go out of my way to prove others wrong, but i think this time i'm gonna listen up. I think.

FordNut
04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I believe it would also require a standalone controller since the Marauder PCM doesn't have the I/O signals to operate it.

DTRMiguel
04-13-2009, 11:58 AM
So basically this is a :censor: up idea?

FordNut
04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
To me, it would be an expensive and time consuming way to put a weaker tranny in a Marauder.
To some, it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

justbob
04-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I believe it would also require a standalone controller since the Marauder PCM doesn't have the I/O signals to operate it.
Correct, this can be achieved with an Aviator pcm and tranny harness:up:

DTRMiguel
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
To some, it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Not I. Is there another option what i am looking for? :help: