PDA

View Full Version : starting trouble after 1 week of sct tune

th48308
04-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Sup guys, i bought a sct xcal3 from reinhart automotive and it came with 2 preloaded tunes....everything ran well for 1 week, i added a PHP cai and it ran super well for 3 days...yesterday morning it ran fine on the way to work, then i went to start it at the end of the day and it wouldnt start, its not giving me any trouble codes eaither..cleaned the mass air still a problem...does anyone know wat the heck is goin on?

Blackmobile
04-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Sounds like something you need to talk to Dennis about. :dunno:

Dobs
04-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I doubt the Xcal3 had something to do with your trouble.

BAD MERC
04-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Remove the tune and put it back to stock if you have any doubts.

SC Cheesehead
04-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Remove the tune and put it back to stock if you have any doubts.

+1

This should help you isolate the problem. If it still doesn't start after reloading the stock tune you'll need to look elsewhere.

justbob
04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Always start with the last thing you did. This will solve many problems in life.

Good connection to the MAF?

BODYMAN
04-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Had a Superchips hand held tuner for one of my Diesel and for some reason it kept triping my pats system they(superchips) did not know why so they just sent me a new tuner and all good? Do excatly what the other guys said put to stock and see what it is doing! if starts! then I would talk with Dennis see what he says.

rayjay
04-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Had a Superchips hand held tuner for one of my Diesel and for some reason it kept triping my pats system they(superchips) did not know why so they just sent me a new tuner and all good? Do excatly what the other guys said put to stock and see what it is doing! if starts! then I would talk with Dennis see what he says.

+1, sounds like the PATS. Were you asked to pull the fuel pump fuse before install of the tune?

ctrlraven
04-18-2009, 01:01 PM
+1, sounds like the PATS. Were you asked to pull the fuel pump fuse before install of the tune?
I've talked to Zack and some other major Tuners, they said we don't have to pull the fan or fuel pump fuse, it was for the 2005-up Mustangs that really needed to do it.

th48308
04-19-2009, 09:09 AM
thanks fellas, yea i spent about an hour total on the phone with mr.reinhart and we pretty much figured out it wasnt the tune...but man thats weird its sitting at the dealership right now waiting for warrenty work...lets hope they arent real detectives in there

Blackened300a
04-19-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks fellas, yea i spent about an hour total on the phone with mr.reinhart and we pretty much figured out it wasnt the tune...but man thats weird its sitting at the dealership right now waiting for warrenty work...lets hope they arent real detectives in there

Did you put it back to stock before you took it to the dealer? I was told my flashing O/D light wasnt my DR tune but several sensors in my transmission may have went bad. I put it back to stock and all was well. I then had a dyno tune done elsewhere and all has been well for over 3 years.

th48308
04-19-2009, 01:37 PM
yea i took it back to stock before i went to the dealer, i also took out the PHP cai and reinstalled the factory airbox...so the only aftermarket upgrade now is the sound system...which i hope they dont give me grief for

Pat
04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Just a clarification, does the motor crank but start fail to run? Does turning the key result in any action?

DEFYANT
04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I think I figured out the problem.

Sup guys, i bought a sct xcal3 from reinhart automotive

You should always use a capital letter " I " when referring to yourself. :D

Zack
04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
^^^^ I LOL'ed

th48308
04-19-2009, 04:00 PM
if you figured it out please share...but yo it does crank and it would run for about 1 second but not consistently....i could also get it to run for a while by unplugging the MAF....but that only worked a few times...it seems to get progressively worse, as i went to try and turn it over this morning before the tow truck came it wouldnt fire at all

Blackened300a
04-19-2009, 04:21 PM
if you figured it out please share...but yo it does crank and it would run for about 1 second but not consistently....i could also get it to run for a while by unplugging the MAF....but that only worked a few times...it seems to get progressively worse, as i went to try and turn it over this morning before the tow truck came it wouldnt fire at all

All these attempts were with the stock tune installed?

justbob
04-19-2009, 04:21 PM
You did return it to stock right?

Pat
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Now that the car is at the dealer, I would like to see if I can tag the problem before the dealer reports. If I do then I win.

The IAT is bad, the throttle body is stuck or EGR orifice is clogged. The MAF is bad.
No fuel to the engine because of bad fuel pump or clogged filter.

Just an esoteric game.

Be sure and let us know, th48308.

Regards,

Pops
04-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Did you push the fuel inertia button in the trunk. It sounds like no fuel.

justbob
04-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I had to clean my IAC because of not wanting to start without pinching the gas. It would immediately flood itself out if you didn't help it start. But once started it ran fine. Let us know.

th48308
04-19-2009, 05:57 PM
back to stock..sitting at the dealer...will post as soon as i know whats up....thanks for the replies my dudes....good to know you all are willing to help

O's Fan Rich
04-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Sounds like when I forgot to snap the MAF plug on tight.....

Blackened300a
04-19-2009, 06:46 PM
My crown vic has the PATS system and when I had a regular key made, it would crank and start then stall right out in a few seconds. You may have a PATS issue.
Good luck at the dealer.

rayjay
04-20-2009, 06:04 AM
My crown vic has the PATS system and when I had a regular key made, it would crank and start then stall right out in a few seconds. You may have a PATS issue.
Good luck at the dealer.

Yea, I was thinking PATs too, but it should not run at all if thats it. I wonder if he ever reset the computer?

BODYMAN
04-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Yea, I was thinking PATs too, but it should not run at all if thats it. I wonder if he ever reset the computer?

yeh, I was Thinking PATS to but like you said it should not start at all I think if starts for s second we can rule that out as pats cuts the spark out of the mix or is the fuel?

th48308
04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
man...do u think it could be the key transponder? i didnt even check that

Blackened300a
04-20-2009, 12:36 PM
man...do u think it could be the key transponder? i didnt even check that

The FOB doesnt do anything with the PATS but have you tried your spare key?

th48308
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
nah not yet...i have to go grab them and go up to the dealership, their not getting anywhere eaither

Marauderjack
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Sounds like a bad key......:help:

BAD MERC
04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Just FYI - the SecuriLock system has a diagnostic LED on top of the dash with the ambient light sensor. For normal running the LED will come on and stay lit while cranking. If there's a key/antenna fault it will flash rapidly when the key is turned on.

BODYMAN
04-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Just FYI - the SecuriLock system has a diagnostic LED on top of the dash with the ambient light sensor. For normal running the LED will come on and stay lit while cranking. If there's a key/antenna fault it will flash rapidly when the key is turned on.

I was going to point this out to. Reading all this and if I understand correctly dealer not getting anywhere either probably means no codes stored hopefully no problem just bad key that would be nice

th48308
04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
yea they said they're going to replace the transponder...

BODYMAN
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
So are you saying they think it is the transponder or just a shot? or do they know? keep us posted!

BLACKMARAUDER04
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a possible fuel pump.

BODYMAN
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds like a possible fuel pump.

wouldnt that send a code? :dunno: if Iam understanding him correctly no code's?

th48308
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
they replaced the ANTI THEFT TRANSCEIVER....and they said it wouldnt start at 1st...they tried again and they said its been working fine ever since....just spoke to mr.reinhart and he said it was most likely just an electrical error....but they want to keep the car for one more night....darn it

rayjay
04-22-2009, 06:17 AM
That makes sense as it was not reading the key codes consistently, so sometimes it would start. I believe this is also a 1st. I do not remember anyone having a similiar problem and it being the transponder.

CBT
04-22-2009, 07:14 AM
They want to keep it one more night so they can rip up the roads with it.

th48308
04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
well that wasnt it....they said they're diagnosing equipment is not able to read my ECM...so they;re sending it to the mercury dealer..it was at carmax, is it possible that I screwed it up by a user error when loading my tune? like i said...it worked fine for a week and a half

justbob
04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I've only had the issue of unreadable with a chip which i see you don't have.

BODYMAN
04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
well that wasnt it....they said they're diagnosing equipment is not able to read my ECM...so they;re sending it to the mercury dealer..it was at carmax, is it possible that I screwed it up by a user error when loading my tune? like i said...it worked fine for a week and a half

I dont think so if it was ok for a week it sounds like something else went wrong just happened to be shortly after the tune installed

babbage
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
they replaced the ANTI THEFT TRANSCEIVER....and they said it wouldnt start at 1st...they tried again and they said its been working fine ever since....just spoke to mr.reinhart and he said it was most likely just an electrical error....but they want to keep the car for one more night....darn it

I get nervous about the Ford techs pounding on it and taking it to get lunch etc. Did you check the Odometer before you left? -So there isn't like 50 miles more on it? I don't think it's necessary for them to drive it on the street do you?

th48308
04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
blown diode from the distribution block...anyone ever heard of that one?

th48308
04-23-2009, 01:10 PM
this whole thing has got me scared of the flash tuner dudes....

th48308
04-23-2009, 01:53 PM
my main question is should i expect more trouble from this flash tuner?

Marauderjack
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I really don't think they are related.....just coincidental BAD LUCK!!:shake:

SC Cheesehead
04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
my main question is should i expect more trouble from this flash tuner?

I really don't think they are related.....just coincidental BAD LUCK!!:shake:

+1

There are hundreds of us who have installed modified tunes via hand-held tuners without problems; so like Jack said, coincidental, but unrelated.

Ms. Denmark
04-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Have had mine going on a month now. No problems. Love it.:) Couldn't go back to a stock tune after seeing the difference.

th48308
04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
well im no wuss...so im puttin' it back on...mad props to my man D to the E to the NNIS REINHART...he helped me out through the whole mess

justbob
04-24-2009, 06:30 AM
I wouldn't think twice about it.

babbage
04-24-2009, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't think twice about it.

+1 - it was a fluke.

th48308
04-24-2009, 06:42 AM
and thank you all for your imput...once i get my money up again its kooks long tubes x-pipe high flow cats and mufflers

Zack
04-24-2009, 07:21 AM

Have your tuner disable the PATS system in the tune to rule the key/transponder out.

Dennis Reinhart
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Sup guys, i bought a sct xcal3 from reinhart automotive and it came with 2 preloaded tunes....everything ran well for 1 week, i added a PHP cai and it ran super well for 3 days...yesterday morning it ran fine on the way to work, then i went to start it at the end of the day and it wouldnt start, its not giving me any trouble codes eaither..cleaned the mass air still a problem...does anyone know wat the heck is goin on?

In case any one wondered, it was not the tune they found a burnt diode in the wire bundle, the car ran perfect up till this happened.

SC Cheesehead
04-24-2009, 10:52 AM
In case any one wondered, it was not the tune they found a burnt diode in the wire bundle, the car ran perfect for three weeks up till this happened.

Ahhhh, mystery solved. Thanks for the update, Dennis.

Dennis Reinhart
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I am going to call the dealer to find out exactly what it was, so we all can be aware of it.

SILVERSURFER03
04-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I feel the same rewInd to go forward... I think It wIll help start over .. then call for help

SILVERSURFER03
04-24-2009, 11:07 AM
ooooops I mIssed the last page... wow a dIode thats cool so Its all good now GREAT

Dennis Reinhart
04-24-2009, 02:11 PM
this whole thing has got me scared of the flash tuner dudes....

The tuner had nothing to do with this, there was also a TSB for chaffed wires, at the back of the head, I don't believe there is one member here that has ever had a issue such as this flashing there car, now if you have low battery voltage you can loose pats, and if you turn the key off while loading a file it can cause EEC issues. This was a totally separate non related issue.

burt ragio
04-24-2009, 06:03 PM
What does PATS stand for ?

Bradley G
04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Put away that serpent,. Er, I mean, prevent against theft system

Dennis Reinhart
04-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Pasive Anti Theft System

GM uses VATS Vehicle Anti Theft System

zrwhat
10-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I have been dealing with this issue for over 2 years. I loaded my tune and shortly after that my service port stopped working. Then the car stopped starting. I have been thru batteries, new starter, etc. I am thinking that I may have a blown diode as well.

The car starts sometimes but many times I get zero when I turn the key. It has been sitting for the last 4 months. I decided I would start working on it again and found that my fuse under the hood that controls the power steering assist, speedo and air suspension was blown. I replaced it and within 30 sec. it was blown again. I replaced the air suspension pump approx. a year ago, could it be locked up causing the fuse to blow or possibly the power steering assist?

RacerX
10-05-2009, 10:24 AM
You have a short somewhere to blow fuses like that. Check along all wiring bundles for chafing. Flashing will not cause problems unless you have a power issue or turn the key off in the middle of flashing! As DR said!

Blackened300a
10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
You have a short somewhere to blow fuses like that. Check along all wiring bundles for chafing. Flashing will not cause problems unless you have a power issue or turn the key off in the middle of flashing! As DR said!

+1. There is a harness that runs behind the engine. Chances are it rubbed through and is causing a dead short.

The tune wouldn't have any effect on this.

zrwhat
10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Where exactly is the harness located, I think I read it is Drivers side? Anyone have pictures? Thanks!

justbob
10-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Main harness, right behind the drivers side head. Can't miss it.

zrwhat
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Where exactly does the harness rub? I looked at it this evening and it is very tough to see. Couldn't see any obvious wear.

I did unplug both my Air Suspension Compressor and what appears to be the Power Steering Assist. I wanted to see if I could keep a fuse from blowing with these two unplugged and sure enough no blown fuse. So I plugged back in my suspension compressor and it fired up and didn't blow the fuse. I must have a problem with the steering assist, it does look fairly rusty. Is this common?