PDA

View Full Version : The Facts About Tire Dressings

TheDealer
10-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Liquid Silicone Oil Dressings – These penetrating-type silicones form a flexible protective shield on rubber. Liquid silicone seals small openings with a film to prevent penetration of moisture and dirt. Most silicone dressings leave a never-dry gloss film. There are many myths regarding silicone, specifically the negative long-term effects of silicone on rubber and vinyl. The fact is, silicone is an inert material. The benefit of silicone is its ability to easily penetrate the tire’s surface and not evaporate. Some silicone-based dressings contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. Petroleum distillates are harmful to rubber and vinyl, and will cause rubber and vinyl to crack.

MMM2003
10-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the insight. Can you recommend (or name) a few brand names available over the counter?

TIA !

TheDealer
10-03-2003, 10:26 AM
I use Fomula 2001.

ChuckB
10-03-2003, 11:06 AM
i'll throw my .02's in.

i'm not a fan of the dressings. they tend to migrate off throwing droplets onto the paint. if you use a cover they tranfer to the cover and this in turn smudges the the paint when you take the cover on or off.

The very best solution i've found to having black shiny tires is simply using simple green and a stiff bristled brush.

UncleLar
10-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Did anyone else see the program last week on the History Channel (?) where they took a beater 70 Buick in to the so called King of the Detailers,or something on that order in California to have it detailed? Needless to say the Buick was beyond help but the guy went on to give some tips on how he details cars. I cringed when he recommended using MOTOR OIL as a tire dressing claiming after a few applications they would stay permanently shiny black,to top it he recommended using LAQUER THINNER to clean whitewalls and raised white letters.:uzi:

TheDealer
10-03-2003, 12:09 PM
LOL, what an expert!!!!!

yorks
10-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by TheDealer
I use Fomula 2001.
Me too, stuff's great!
It seems as though it is more "water based", ie, it doesn't fling off the tires onto the paint. Plus you can use it when the tires are wet. You don't get the silicon shine, but you get a nice clean, black look. Made by Turtle Wax.

RF Overlord
10-03-2003, 12:23 PM
I use Mother's "Preserves"...it cleans the dirt and leaves the tire looking like new, i.e. BLACK, but not shiny...it also doesn't migrate onto the wheels, and it's not slimy...I don't see it on their web-site anymore, so I don't know what I'll use when this bottle is gone...

TheDealer
10-03-2003, 12:30 PM
I never spray the dressing on the tires. I spray it on a rag and wipe it on. This way you don't get it all over the wheels and the sides of the car. By wiping it on with a rags, you're only lightly coating the tires, so there isn't enough to fling off when you drive. Never spray it on the rag near the car, or you will end up with a mist of tire dressing on the car. I got to car show almost every week. I wallk away from all the car and then spray it on the rag. Some people have no common sense and spray it on the tires. The next thing you know it's all over everyones cars.

drobin
10-03-2003, 01:28 PM
I use a product called "Tireless Shine" by ZEP, comes in a aerosol can which I spray on a ordinary contoured tire sponge and presto, the best looking tires in the world.... When finished, I place tire sponge in a zip lock bag and ready to next time... This way product last a real long time....That's one of the reason I won sponsor's choice in Ennis..... Just Kidding!!!!!! It was the new paint job!!!!!!!

Donald

"drobin"

03MERCMARAUDER
10-03-2003, 01:53 PM
i use a gel by a company calle dadams polishes, it works great, i use those eagle one tire applicators to put it on, it leaves a nice deep shine on the tires and best of all it doesnt fling, it last for a few days also.

TAF
10-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by drobin
That's the reason I won sponsor's choice in Ennis.....

Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss...is "the Daddy"!

That's the reason I was "The Ladies Choice" at Marauderville :lol:

drobin
10-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Augh, come on Todd, you know it was the red treatment you gave under the hood..... Women, like anything Red......

Donald

"drobin"

jgc61sr2002
10-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by UncleLar
Did anyone else see the program last week on the History Channel (?) where they took a beater 70 Buick in to the so called King of the Detailers,or something on that order in California to have it detailed? Needless to say the Buick was beyond help but the guy went on to give some tips on how he details cars. I cringed when he recommended using MOTOR OIL as a tire dressing claiming after a few applications they would stay permanently shiny black,to top it he recommended using LAQUER THINNER to clean whitewalls and raised white letters.:uzi: I have been using laquer thinner on the whitewall tires of my collector cars for years. Whitewall tires tend to turn yellowish after extended periods of storage. Laquer thinner restores the whiteness. Then use westleys tire white and rinse with water. Never had any problems with the tires. Works great IMHO.

Long Live #3
10-03-2003, 03:10 PM
How about Black Magic?

Bigdogjim
10-03-2003, 03:40 PM
I use what ever the guy next to me is useing!!

Agent M79
10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
I am using Zaino, but not every wash as it's not been necessary. Have not seen any fling. Tire is not glossy but is clean with a satiny like quality.

jgc61sr2002
10-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Long Live #3
How about Black Magic? I like Black Magic. It's the best IMHO.:D