PDA

View Full Version : 14.5682 @ 97.61 Today

babbage
04-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Woot!

I think I did pretty good for only having a CAI +Tune.

I weigh 260 pounds too!

First time with the MM at the drags. Lots of people liked the looks of my car (go figure)

I beat a 5.0 Mustang with mods. There was a TON of 'clag' on the track so my '60 wasn't that great. I didn't let any air out of the rear tires. I was holding the brake and revving up a bit, no wheelspin so I could have pre-loaded a lot more I guess.

I got in only 2 runs. Ouch my forehead got sunburned.:burnout:
Sunny and 64! What a nice day.

DTRMiguel
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Congrats practice makes perfect i was running 14.5-14.8 now with practice i run 14.2 keep it up:beer:

babbage
04-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Congrats practice makes perfect i was running 14.5-14.8 now with practice i run 14.2 keep it up:beer:

cool thanks! Perhaps I shoulda got the JLT :D:rolleyes:

Tell me how do you launch to get a 2.1 60' ?

Pre-load - or just mash the gas?
Also how many pounds do you weigh? ;)

Blackened300a
04-19-2009, 05:33 PM

Mash the gas!

DTRMiguel
04-19-2009, 05:41 PM

JLT FTMFW :D
I preload it to 2grand everytime i will spin either way and i weigh a whopping 285lbs lol i gotta lose weight :mad2:

DTRMiguel
04-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Mash the gas!

Liar :rolleyes:

Blackened300a
04-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Liar :rolleyes:

Try it. Preloading made the car feel sluggish off the line. Flashing the convertor made the car jump off the line.

DTRMiguel
04-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Try it. Preloading made the car feel sluggish off the line. Flashing the convertor made the car jump off the line.

Ok i will try anything once yeah that came out wrong... Flashing the converter???????????? what this does mean:confused::help:

Blk Mamba
04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
I think he is referring to dynamic shock, mechanically fooling the torque converter.

Blackened300a
04-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok i will try anything once yeah that came out wrong... Flashing the converter???????????? what this does mean:confused::help:

Flashing the convertor is when you slam the gas and for a split second the engine will spool up faster then the trans. Its like dumping the clutch in a manual.
Preloading is when you just hold your foot on the brake and bring the revs up to the point before the tires break loose.

Try flashing, It works even better with a higher stall convertor.

pantheroc
04-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Wow, I learn something new every day. Thx.

Flashing the convertor is when you slam the gas and for a split second the engine will spool up faster then the trans. Its like dumping the clutch in a manual.
Preloading is when you just hold your foot on the brake and bring the revs up to the point before the tires break loose.

Try flashing, It works even better with a higher stall convertor.

ImpalaSlayer
04-19-2009, 07:43 PM
i cant remember which i do lol

a_d_a_m
04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
This thread is educational as hell!

O/D off for your passes, right?

justbob
04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Congrats on your first time out! When i was stock my tires spun every time i took off no matter what i did, i even have a video of my clutches not working and i spun the right rear for an 1/8 mile! I didn't feel or here a thing either! I finally noticed alot of smoke in the rear view mirror:eek: Now i will only go with my MT's, i preload it to 2000 and put it all the way down on the last yellow, it is a thrill i couldn't begin to explain.:D

Blackened300a
04-20-2009, 03:35 AM
O/D off for your passes, right?

Always!

I also do my burnouts in 1st. It bogs down when it shifts into 2nd during a burnout.

babbage
04-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Congrats on your first time out! When i was stock my tires spun every time i took off no matter what i did, i even have a video of my clutches not working and i spun the right rear for an 1/8 mile! I didn't feel or here a thing either! I finally noticed alot of smoke in the rear view mirror:eek: Now i will only go with my MT's, i preload it to 2000 and put it all the way down on the last yellow, it is a thrill i couldn't begin to explain.:D

Hey Thanks, it is a thrill. Talk about adrenaline. I was wicked nervous on the way there. I may have dented the floorboard underneath the gas pedal, on that third yellow.. :D

DTRMiguel
04-20-2009, 05:27 AM
My problem is i cant just floor it. I spin and run on street BFG's

Mest30
04-20-2009, 09:16 AM
When should flashing the converter take place?

babbage
04-20-2009, 10:06 AM

flashing is just really using the built in stall. when you pre-load you kinda remove the stall from the converter - but the upside is your revs are up already.

How much stall does your new converter have Mest? What are the specs??

BTW -- AMSOIL ATF -- FTW!

Blackened300a
04-20-2009, 12:24 PM

On the last yellow of the tree.;)

offroadkarter
04-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Always!

I also do my burnouts in 1st. It bogs down when it shifts into 2nd during a burnout.

Wonder why? :rolleyes::D

s_Nn3k-Xpn4

In before you make fun of my attempt! :P

Blackened300a
04-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Wonder why? :rolleyes::D

s_Nn3k-Xpn4

In before you make fun of my attempt! :P

Oh and your FAIL burnout? Or lack of :D

Oh and BTW, who the hell has that annoying laugh???

Oh and another side note! That was my 13.6 run and I smoked that mustang with his big 13.9. Could you have done that?:P

RKUp4TT9hH8

Mest30
04-21-2009, 06:09 AM
On the last yellow of the tree.;)

I'm getting kind of confused here. From what I gather, there are 3 launching techniques that can be used. Mashing the gas, which is obvious. On the last yellow, take foot off brake and floor the gas pedal. Then there is preloading the TC. While holding the brake, rev the engine up to a certain RPM (use different RPMs every time out and find out what works best for your vehicle). Then there is flashing the TC. It has been stated that flashing the TC involves flooring the gas pedal once while still holding the brakes. It has also been stated that this should be done on the last yellow. So if this is done on the last yellow, I'm assuming you'd want to let off the brake at the same time. So how is this method any different than technique 1, mashing the gas?

And babbage, it's a 3200 stall PI. Hope to test it out soon once it gets dry.

Blackened300a
04-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Then there is flashing the TC. It has been stated that flashing the TC involves flooring the gas pedal once while still holding the brakes. It has also been stated that this should be done on the last yellow. So if this is done on the last yellow, I'm assuming you'd want to let off the brake at the same time. So how is this method any different than technique 1, mashing the gas?.

On the last yellow just mash the gas with no brake. Flashing the convertor is just mashing the gas. You made it more confusing.

babbage
04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
On the last yellow just mash the gas with no brake. Flashing the convertor is just mashing the gas. You made it more confusing.

Mashing (v.) - Violently stabbing the gas pedal with ones foot in such a way that the gas pedal is bottomed out or "floored" in the shortest amount of time possible.
:lol:

Mest30
04-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Ok, I get it. The method known as "mashing the gas" is the same as flashing the converter. Thanks.

Now, with my 3200 stall converter, should I try preloading and if so, at what RPM should I try? I tried 1500 once with no converter and stock 5 year old tires. I fish tailed and had to brake to regain control. Needless to say, my time that run sucked! I have now updated to Nitto 420s, but havent been to the track since they've been on.

Blackened300a
04-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Ok, I get it. The method known as "mashing the gas" is the same as flashing the converter. Thanks.

Now, with my 3200 stall converter, should I try preloading and if so, at what RPM should I try? I tried 1500 once with no converter and stock 5 year old tires. I fish tailed and had to brake to regain control. Needless to say, my time that run sucked! I have now updated to Nitto 420s, but havent been to the track since they've been on.

I have nitto 420s and they hook great at the track for a NA car. Just stomp the pedal off idle, thats how you flash, any type of rev is preloading.

03calitejas
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Heading out to a test and tune in Moorhead in an hour or two. Ran consistent 14.5-14.6 first time racing mine a few weeks back... preloading w/ headlight in and side mirrors out. Also had 91 octane on the 93 octane tune.
Found a place in town w 92 Octane so Im hoping that helps a bit. I'm going to try to mix it up with some preload and mashing the gas runs and will also do the headlight in and out and see if I can match the .2 sec difference posted here. Wishing there was anouther MM or two up here to go play with....

captain
06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Back when cars were made from American iron...we used to "drop them" put it in neutral, wind her up, and drop it... into drive.
Some one please try this and report back.
Is there a fine at the track for leaving pieces or parts behind?

Commodore Crap
06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
hey babbage, where are you in NY? and what track did you go to??
-ryan

johnnyrauder
06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
your up state ny what track?

bigjon
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Back when cars were made from American iron...we used to "drop them" put it in neutral, wind her up, and drop it... into drive.

i would not recommend doing this, lol. :lol:

babbage goes to esta

rayjay
06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
your up state ny what track?

ESTA in Cicero off ST RT 31. There is a test&tune Sunday at 10:00am. Babbage will be there. I'm a "maybe"

babbage
06-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Welp I was there! So was Ray. Great day. I could only manage to squeeze out a 14.6! I thought for sure I'd be faster with 3.73's and a spacer. It was a lot hotter today than when I went in April.

I think I need to get a dyno tune next for sure.

Blackened300a
06-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I thought for sure I'd be faster with 3.73's and a spacer. It was a lot hotter today than when I went in April.

Your not going to see any difference in 3.73s at the track and the spacer worked best for me when I had the car tuned.

rayjay
06-14-2009, 09:57 PM
I ran better Sunday than I did at MVV, but I need to get my chip recalibrated for the 4.10 gears. I'm using a tune purchased from another Member here and its not as aggressive as my chips dyno tune. We had a good time. Too bad they run their test&tunes so infrequently. :(

Blackened300a
06-15-2009, 08:30 AM
I ran better Sunday than I did at MVV, but I need to get my chip recalibrated for the 4.10 gears. I'm using a tune purchased from another Member here and its not as aggressive as my chips dyno tune. We had a good time. Too bad they run their test&tunes so infrequently. :(

So what you run Ray??

babbage
06-15-2009, 08:39 AM
I think I'm gonna go 60mm Accufab + EMP Pump + Dyno tune for my next mods.

The marauders didn't disappoint yesterday! I beat (2) different Ricers and a Chevelle, Ray lost one off the line but ran him down in the end!

I beat my buddy in his chevelle (350) the first time, but he ran (2) 14.2 slips after that - killing my times.

It was fun! Thanks for coming out Ray!! I think we'll have a bigger turn out in October.

Zack
06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I think I'm gonna go 60mm Accufab + EMP Pump + Dyno tune for my next mods.

The marauders didn't disappoint yesterday! I beat (2) different Ricers and a Chevelle, Ray lost one off the line but ran him down in the end!

I beat my buddy in his chevelle (350) the first time, but he ran (2) 14.2 slips after that - killing my times.

It was fun! Thanks for coming out Ray!! I think we'll have a bigger turn out in October.

Dont waste your money on the above parts.
Buy a set of Headers, it will yield the best performance.

03calitejas
06-15-2009, 09:16 AM
With a car thats already dyno tuned, will putting on headers monkey up the tune? I have the stock exhaust and when dyno tuned, HPP found another 40HP in the midrange which really amazed me and totally changed the personality of the car. How much HP gain would be expected on an NA car from headers? Can you also run the rest of the stock exhaust then or is the cost of the headers just the beginning?

The problem here is that the dyno tuner I worked with was down in Texas and I'm now up in the middle of nowhere ND. I found that there's a dyno shop about 3 hours south of here so in time it may not be an issue. With limited funds to play with I know I need the slicks or I'm going to run out of rubber on the Nittos...I've also been told that going with the elecric water pump can bump another 25HP...

Blackened300a
06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I've also been told that going with the elecric water pump can bump another 25HP...

I wouldnt believe that and Im not a fan of the electric waterpump at all. The accufab gave me +1 RWHP peak and +5 RWHP accross the range. That was proven on a dyno. It completes my upper intake polished look but thats really about it.
I think headers have proven to give almost 40RWHP on a N/A car. They are my next mod right after my Naz intake finally arrives. :confused:

rayjay
06-15-2009, 12:31 PM
So what you run Ray??

Well, not great :(, but a consistent 14.866 three times. I believe that with my chip reprogramed for the 4.10s I'll do much better. The 9100 tuner I bought with the 4.10 tune on it is great for everyday driving, 20 mpg around town, but nowhere near as much HP and tranny kick.

bigjon
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
i am glad you guys had fun. i can't wait to meet up with you in october.

babbage
06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
i am glad you guys had fun. i can't wait to meet up with you in october.

We gotta get BigBadJoe to come too. Ugg I want a torque converter and long tubes. :D

rayjay
06-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Looks like its 09/27 IIRC from their website. If I go straight from work I can still catch the Bills game. :D I'll get my chip sent down to Dillsburg before then.

babbage
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Looks like its 09/27 IIRC from their website. If I go straight from work I can still catch the Bills game. :D I'll get my chip sent down to Dillsburg before then.

Sweet! I'm going to try and get some Dyno time before then too.

9/27 it is. BigJon: Can you make it?

Canadasvt
06-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Ah, memories of when I was 14 taking my mother's '74 4 door Maverick with the 302 two barrel. 'Dropped it' at least 10 times that day until I ended up in a snowy ditch.

1970Falcon
07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Nice to see that these cars will run good times. We finally pulled ours out of the garage after 4 1/2 years of sitting. Now that the warranty is gone, I would like to do some 'things' to it so it will run. Took it to woodburn Or, track on saturday and was a little disappointed with the results, but needed to establish a baseline. Ran a 15.69, 15.99, 15.72, 16.11 at 90 mph. I would have expected a little more consistant times since it has all that computer funny stuff. Has 5,524 miles on it, maybe it will improve over time. I need to start reading all of the threads and get an idea what to do first, want to keep it a driver, but it would be fun to have 13 sec. time slips. Sat there at the track and watched a bunch of the new mopars running 12's! They look and sound so stock, why can't my Merc run that with only a few million hours of tweekin' and billions of dollars.............ack!

Glenn
07-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Do the following:

K&N CAI - no other: 6-8 HP
UDPs - 8-10 HP
EWP - 8-10 HP
A good SCT tune 18 HP

That's about 285 RWHP that should put you into the high 13s if you install Metco U&L control arms and use MT Street ET DRs (not radials). That's your answer and you will do it.

Glenn :burnout:

FormulaMarauder
07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I need to start reading all of the threads and get an idea what to do first, want to keep it a driver, but it would be fun to have 13 sec. time slips.

I'll help you in the sense that you won't have to do all that reading.
My car naturally aspirated did a 13.6@98mph first time at the track with bald tires. The car was as tame, if not tamer (is that a word?) than it was stock. Should have come from the factory this way.
Here was the recipe.

JLT intake
Kook's Headers, X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers.
FMS 4.10 gears
SCT 91 octane tune.
Those mods alone will get you in the high 13's.
Add some UD pulleys, some sticky shoes, and a little weight reduction, and you will be closer to mid 13's. Good luck.

babbage
07-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Nice to see that these cars will run good times. We finally pulled ours out of the garage after 4 1/2 years of sitting. Now that the warranty is gone, I would like to do some 'things' to it so it will run. Took it to woodburn Or, track on saturday and was a little disappointed with the results, but needed to establish a baseline. Ran a 15.69, 15.99, 15.72, 16.11 at 90 mph. I would have expected a little more consistant times since it has all that computer funny stuff. Has 5,524 miles on it, maybe it will improve over time. I need to start reading all of the threads and get an idea what to do first, want to keep it a driver, but it would be fun to have 13 sec. time slips. Sat there at the track and watched a bunch of the new mopars running 12's! They look and sound so stock, why can't my Merc run that with only a few million hours of tweekin' and billions of dollars.............ack!

I ran that 14.5 with only a tune 93 Octane - get one from (http://www.blueovalchips.com) and a K&N CAI. I also changed the transfluild to AMSOIL, AMSOIL 0w-20 oil, new plugs and fuel filter etc.

I realize you only have 5,000 miles on it but putting in good synthetic fluids and changing plugs and filters is worth a lot too if current fluids, filters and plugs are not in optimal shape. I'd recommend running some seafoam in your gastank too. I'm surprised your fuel pump wasn't gumed up after sitting for 4 years.

Long tube headers will help a lot. I think the ones from Stainless Works are better.

1970Falcon
07-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks a bunch guys for the replies. I am kinda old school here with the need and desire to learn. With apologies to all, I am slightly an idiot with what the UDP, EWP stands for, (Probably obvious). I lived in the
carbureted world for too long. There is a 91, 93 octane tune? Is that your basic laptop/software plug in to the Marauder brain? My 70 1/2 Falcon runs 12:80's and to watch a 4 door sedan with a small cube engine beat up that car is so cool.....gotta love technology. Is 4:10's the way to go, or can I play with the 3:55's and get decent times? If you are willing to give a little advice now and then and get this car in the 13's, I would be forever grateful. You would be teaching me a lot!:bows:

babbage
07-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks a bunch guys for the replies. I am kinda old school here with the need and desire to learn. With apologies to all, I am slightly an idiot with what the UDP, EWP stands for, (Probably obvious). I lived in the
carbureted world for too long. There is a 91, 93 octane tune? Is that your basic laptop/software plug in to the Marauder brain? My 70 1/2 Falcon runs 12:80's and to watch a 4 door sedan with a small cube engine beat up that car is so cool.....gotta love technology. Is 4:10's the way to go, or can I play with the 3:55's and get decent times? If you are willing to give a little advice now and then and get this car in the 13's, I would be forever grateful. You would be teaching me a lot!:bows:

EWP = Elecritc water pump. Not recommeded for a daily driver. There is a better maechanical water pump by EMP/Stewart that will gain you about 6 HP and keep the system colder.

UDP = Underdrive pulleys - March Performance or Steeda.

Re tune: You get a tuner (SCT Device) and a dealer programmer will modify how your car runs. Plug it into the ODBII port (drivers side under dash) upload the program - and wha-la car runs a lot differently.

Take a look at these sites - they are vendors who sell go fast programs and parts for Marauders as well as "tunes" (software programming for your cars brain)

http://www.blueovalchips.com/
http://www.reinhartautomotive.com/
http://www.bc-automotive.com/

Call them up talk to them - buy some parts. You can leave the 3.55's in but you'll definately need long tube headers to reach 13's

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php?cPath=481_484_360

DTRMiguel
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM
I ran that 14.5 with only a tune 93 Octane

I ran .3 faster with the SAME mods :P JLT only how about that glen!:flamer:

babbage
07-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I ran .3 faster with the SAME mods :P JLT only how about that glen!:flamer:

In February at 12 Degrees F? :cool:
Post the slip - I want to see it.

1970Falcon
07-22-2009, 09:16 PM
I will check out the sites, really appreciate the information. Just curious, I hear lots about the Kooks headers, is that the set to get?

ts-pa
07-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm considering the option of meeting up with you guys at ESTA on 9/27. Thanks Eric for the PM's.

I wonder if I could get the SW headers modified to fit my car?
Can anyone recommend a good shop for this task within four hours of Philadelphia?

babbage
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I will check out the sites, really appreciate the information. Just curious, I hear lots about the Kooks headers, is that the set to get?

From what I know about them the Stainless works are superior.
http://www.stainlessworks.net

A lot better quality - a lot easier to install plus they have a system MAUCAT (part number) that will bolt up to stock exhaust. If you go Kooks after the install you need to have pipes custom fabbed by a good shop.

babbage
07-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm considering the option of meeting up with you guys at ESTA on 9/27. Thanks Eric for the PM's.

I wonder if I could get the SW headers modified to fit my car?
Can anyone recommend a good shop for this task within four hours of Philadelphia?

Unfortunately the frame on a 2000 would be right in the way. You'd have to get shorties (don't you have that now?) I'd give Reinhart a call and see what he has to say about fitment.

That's cool that you are considering coming on 9/27, I'm gonna need the SW setup if I'm going to keep up with you!

DTRMiguel
07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
In February at 12 Degrees F? :cool:
Post the slip - I want to see it.

I cant seem to find the 14.202 but i will look for it. Its gotta be in my room :mad2: but here is 14.295 it was actually april i dunno the temp but it wasnt to cold.

babbage
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I cant seem to find the 14.202 but i will look for it. Its gotta be in my room :mad2: but here is 14.295 it was actually april i dunno the temp but it wasnt to cold.

Nice! I'm hoping to best that this September. I think yours is the fastest MM with only a CAI and a tune.

DTRMiguel
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Nice! I'm hoping to best that this September. I think yours is the fastest MM with only a CAI and a tune.

Thanks alot man i like to think so:beer:

ts-pa
07-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately the frame on a 2000 would be right in the way. You'd have to get shorties (don't you have that now?) I'd give Reinhart a call and see what he has to say about fitment.

That's cool that you are considering coming on 9/27, I'm gonna need the SW setup if I'm going to keep up with you!

IIRC, shorties are not worth the effort over my current setup.
I have DR's modified Cobra and a moddified Mustang Bassanni X-pipe from him on the car now. I'm happy with this setup so far. The idea of about 40hp gain just by going to SW headers is very appealing! That is why I thought that the SW headers could be moddified a little to fit my car. I have no idea the extent required, just wishful thinking out loud ;).

You might beat me as I might be a little slower this year. I have harder rubber tires...
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1781996#Post1781996

Would be fun regardless :banana2:

rayjay
07-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi Tom! That would be great if you come to ESTA. Looking forward to seeing you since we can't seem to make it to Carlisle :(

Paul T. Casey
07-24-2009, 06:54 AM

It is safe to do with a 212K mile Marauder. Leaves some impressive road striping too.

Paul T. Casey
07-24-2009, 07:03 AM
[QUOTE=babbage;785033].

Long tube headers will help a lot. QUOTE]

Best NA performance mod for me. Both companies are good, I have the Kooks, have put 170K ish miles on the kit (headers, hi-floe cats, X pipe, and mufflers) and they're better than new. The other important thing to do is always re-tune after modding. This optimizes your particular mod. It gets pricey, so you may want to consider doing more than 1 change at a time.