PDA

View Full Version : The Problem With My Reinhart Equipped Marauder...

martyo
10-03-2003, 11:52 PM
....is that it just keeps getting faster and faster.

After seeing Dennis' post on a sub-14 second N/A car earlier this week, my right foot kept twitching. I couldn't think about work. I couldn't sleep. All I could do was think about getting my ET down below the 14 second mark.

So, today I am at work and Constable's post that he was heading to Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey kept haunting me. The phone rings and my afternoon meeting cancels. That's my cue. I'll tell my staff I have a stomach ache ;) and I am not taking anymore calls for the day. Shoot out the last emergency fax for the day and I am on the train on the way home to pick up my car (recently returned from its successful Texas trip).

Unfortunately, the traffic Gods are not good to me and what should have been a one and a half hour drive to Englishtown turns into a two and a half hour trek. Now, I really am not feeling
well!

All is not lost though and I make it to Tech Inspection with enough time to make time trials and a "Gambler's" bracket race. Cool, n ow I am getting happy. It's time to see if I can accomplish what I set out to do: make a sub 14 second pass. But talk in the staging lanes is that traction is not great -- not good news for my stock tires, but I am in and I am going to run.

Here's where it gets interesting. First pass for the night:

E/T: 13.854
Trap Speed: 98.46 mph

Well, I made my goal. I am happy. Very happy.

Second pass for the night:

E/T: 13.836
Trap Speed: 98.64 mph

I am even happier.

No more time trials. So I figure it just can't get better than this. It's time for me to dial in for the bracket run. I choose to dial in a 13.80. How could I break out?? Right?????

Well......here is my third run:

E/T: 13.735
Trap Speed: 98.85 mph

Not bad, eh??

These times were much better than my consistent 14.1s and 14.2s in Texas. I am happy.

All I can say now is: "Thanks Dennis, you truly are the man!!!"

RCSignals
10-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Damn Marty.

talk about fast lawyers :)

Jeff
10-04-2003, 02:44 AM
I like it. :D

MM03MOK
10-04-2003, 03:16 AM
Way to go, Kiddo!!! I finally fell asleep in front of the computer waiting for the MOngoose race results last night!

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/f/scatter.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/g0/claps.gif

SergntMac
10-04-2003, 04:55 AM
WAY TO GO MARTY O!

13.7...The fastest N/A Marauder on the earth!

Oh my...

Logan
10-04-2003, 04:58 AM
You guys are really gonna make me go get my butt back out to the track aren't ya, just so's I can lay down that 13.6 N/A run eh? ;)

Awesome runs marty!! :D

TAF
10-04-2003, 05:27 AM
What was I THINKING ttrying to run against you at Marauderville??!!

Thanks for making my 14.6 look REAL insignificant...

Mikeenh
10-04-2003, 06:03 AM
Marty,
I think you should check with "Cruzer" to see what the hell he put in your gas tank before it got shipped home. I WANT SOME !!
:burnout: :burnout:

JohnnyB
10-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Great times.... you're right there with the 2003 5 speed Mach 1

LincMercLover
10-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Damn... Musta been that northernly cold air up there! Sweet runs! Good job buddy! :up:

Slowpoke
10-04-2003, 08:19 AM
I predict that by February, Marty has installed some type of blower. It's inevitable. He won't be satified until he gets down to 12 seconds. Now that the season is done for boating for him, all his efforts will turn to his car.

jgc61sr2002
10-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Marty - The numbers are fantastic. Great job. Remember the mods aren't everything, its takes good reaction time and good driver. Congrats.:up:

TripleTransAm
10-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by martyo
E/T: 13.735
Trap Speed: 98.85 mph

Freaking hell... that's amazing.

I keep wondering what must have gone through the spectator stands:

"Oh, there's that black thing that Mercury missed the mark with. You know, the one that couldn't keep up with an Accord? Yeah, the one that was a little sof... OH MY GOD, he's in the 13s!!!!!"

Congratulations!

amerikan
10-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Martyo, wow!. Did you take your car to the track just with the 4.10... chip...stat..and plugs? what was it running? anways good runs man.. good runs.

JET
10-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Marty way to go.

Not to brag but I predicted it first on Tuesday night that Marty would turn a 13.7 quarter and I glad I was right.

Great job representing

gonzo50
10-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Nice numbers MartyO, with all of your mods, have you had time to get any Dyno runs in, what are your rwhp & rwtq numbers looking like ? Thats what I want to do with my Marauder, make it the fastest "N/A" and making a minimum of atleast 300 rwhp, if anyone can get you there, it;s Dennis. :bows:

RCSignals
10-04-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Slowpoke
I predict that by February, Marty has installed some type of blower. It's inevitable. He won't be satified until he gets down to 12 seconds. Now that the season is done for boating for him, all his efforts will turn to his car.

He just might do that NA, I don't think he has all the mods quite yet :)

martyo
10-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
He just might do that NA, I don't think he has all the mods quite yet :)

It's all in Dennis' hands.

I am waiting to see the numbers on the p&p'd upper and lower intake.

Dennis? Dennis??

MM03MOK
10-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Dennis? Dennis?? He'll get back to you after a weekend of bratwurst and hefe weizen.

jspradii
10-04-2003, 06:00 PM
.Martyo!

I didn't think I'd be the only one to run mid 13's for very long. Now I'll have to get off my butt and go back out to shake out a couple more 100th's at least! Way to go!!!!

Jim
Ennis: 13.73 E/T; Trap: 101.29

martyo
10-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Here I am on my way to my fastest run:

TAF
10-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Is that a red camero your smokin? Is that Cole?:D

looking97233
10-04-2003, 07:04 PM
A little nitromethane in the fuel tank goes a long way. Might get you down to 13.5ish? Just a thought of something to try.

cruzer
10-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey, Marty--what kind of monster have I created--I had to open my mouth and encourage you to come to TX---Man, I am REALLY PROUD OF MY MAN !!!!!!!!ENJOY, Maury

Bigdogjim
10-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Great job Marty!!!

See you in Hershey!

(guess we'll have to find a track)

JET
10-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Hey Marty,

They say "a picture is worth a thousand words".

However in this case I don't think that applies.

drobin
10-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Marty, outstanding numbers you've produced. Must feel Good!!!!!
I needs gears and you have proved it, if I want to stay NA...

Donald

"drobin"

martyo
10-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by drobin
Marty, outstanding numbers you've produced. Must feel Good!!!!!
I needs gears and you have proved it, if I want to stay NA...

Donald

"drobin"

I would be curious to see how I would do with 4.30's. Anyone care to donate a set and some $$$ for the install?

SergntMac
10-05-2003, 08:27 AM
I would be curious to see how I would do with 4.30's. Anyone care to donate a set and some $$$ for the install?

I don't know if your kidding around here, marty, or, thinking out loud. Either way, your money is better spent on a set of Nittos and that polished intake from Dennis. IMHO, stay away from the juice for now, you're doing much better building your HP with hardware. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just that I feel you don't need to consider NOS right now, everything is ticking and clicking just right.

I want to ask a question, but not make it an argument. Doesn't juice take the "natural" of out naturally aspirated? IMHO, it does.

Again, nice work Marty, you worked hard for this, enjoy it.

martyo
10-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by SergntMac
I don't know if your kidding around here, marty, or, thinking out loud. Either way, your money is better spent on a set of Nittos and that polished intake from Dennis. IMHO, stay away from the juice for now, you're doing much better building your HP with hardware. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just that I feel you don't need to consider NOS right now, everything is ticking and clicking just right.

I want to ask a question, but not make it an argument. Doesn't juice take the "natural" of out naturally aspirated? IMHO, it does.

Again, nice work Marty, you worked hard for this, enjoy it.

Mac: I was kidding about the gears, although I am curious about whether they would improve my times. The Nittos are likely to move me toward the affect of 4.30's anyway in terms of the true ratio at the wheels. Based on my observations at the track on Friday night, the Nittos have a strong possibility of ending up on my Birthday List (It's just around the corner, so the members here should start their shopping soon!). There is a Detroit/Ricer showdown the first weekend in November at E-Town. There is a possibility that I will end up there if anyone is interested in attending with me.

I am waiting impatiently on the numbers from Dennis regarding the p&p'd upper and lower intake to see whether that will become a part of my package.

I agree regarding the nitrous. I believe that it takes the car out of the naturally aspirated category, although I know there were a number of guys running it on Friday night with some impressive results.

The idea for me is to be able to "run what I brung." Friday I drove about 90 miles or so, made a quick tire pressure change, threw my girlfriend out of the car and hit the strip, made my runs, grabbed up my girlfriend and drove the 90 miles or so home. How cool is that?? Now, I just need to convince myself that the Nittos do not violate my personal objectives in doing what I am doing. Then again, I am a lawyer. I can probably convince anyone (including myself) of anything....Alternatively, someone can lend me their slicks.....

Mad1
10-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
Damn Marty.

talk about fast lawyers :)

WARNING: Stereotypcial lawyer crack coming ...

With numbers like those you shouldn't have any problems chasing down ambulances! Unless they start using NOS to make deliveries.

:stupid: :lol:

TooManyFords
10-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Martyo.. I'm really glad I popped for the 4.30's. I need to get to the track to confirm my improvements.

However, I did get one of those Passport G-Timers from Dennis while in Marauderville. Also while there I had Dennis flash my car for the goodies and set it up for the 4.30's before I left.

(driving home trying to remember that the speedo was way off was really fun when the cops were around, but that's >another< story!)

Anyway, before installing the gears, I did my "best guess" at the settings for the G-Timer and the Marauder. My first pass for a computed 1/4 mile was 15.35 @ 87.86.

After installing the gears, I got a 14.62 @ 95.16

Now, granted, these are estimates of real times but as long as I leave the current settings in the unit it will give me -relative- improvements with the mods I make.

I will say this, I now get a second gear scratch every time even while leaving the car in Drive! No manual shifting needed! If I'm going slower than 20mph and stomp it, it hits first with a good scratch and off we go!!

My next mods include the plugs and stat, then the Kooks headers which should be here this week according to Nick. Each time I'll do a new run to see the improvements.

TMF

martyo
10-05-2003, 08:15 PM
TMF: Just so you know, I ran my car across the scale while at the track. With three quarters of a tank of fuel, spare tire installed, and no trunk organizer, I got a total weight of 4440 (your results may vary). I know this is one of the elements that must be put into the G-Tech.

Zack
10-05-2003, 08:24 PM
I havent congratulated you yet Marty, so let this post be it.
Way to go!!

TooManyFords
10-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Other MM stats the GTimer needed...

How about drag coefficient? Or, rolling resistance of the tires?

TMF

martyo
10-05-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by TooManyFords
Other MM stats the GTimer needed...

How about drag coefficient? Or, rolling resistance of the tires?

TMF

After some very careful calculation, I have deduced that the coeeficiecient of drag (Cd) is 0.385.

Actually, this info is from Mercury's web site. ;)

gaga
10-06-2003, 01:32 PM
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

.................... just kiddin...

way to go marty, these must have been some DEAD hooks.... what is your 60 foot time? I do know of a certain black 98 GT which wouldn't mind lining up with you... :D :D

and if you manage to beat him, I'll be forced to take my garage queen out and let that lil 'ol 4.6 feel the wrath of the LS1...

martyo
10-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by gaga
way to go marty, these must have been some DEAD hooks.... what is your 60 foot time? I do know of a certain black 98 GT which wouldn't mind lining up with you... :D :D

and if you manage to beat him, I'll be forced to take my garage queen out and let that lil 'ol 4.6 feel the wrath of the LS1...

Do I know you?

RCSignals
10-06-2003, 04:12 PM
marty, probably the Impala SS guy you met there.

He's just teasing you

martyo
10-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Duncan:

I know who it is. It's just one of the locals who thinks he drives a fast Chevy..... Ha!!!!

We'll see, if he ever brings that thing out to play.

gaga
10-07-2003, 05:45 AM
yeah marty... its me Mikee, I'm always hangin out w/ Chris and Jaimee...

I still can't get over the 13.7... at e-town also!!!

Next time we head down to Atco I'll drop you a line..... the "atco" mod is worth at least 3 tenths in the 1/4....

martyo
10-07-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by gaga
Next time we head down to Atco I'll drop you a line..... the "atco" mod is worth at least 3 tenths in the 1/4....

I may be in Atco next weekend and/or E-Town on November 2 - Jamie may come to E-Town; you should too so I can spank your SS!

gaga
10-07-2003, 08:26 AM
I may be in Atco next weekend and/or E-Town on November 2 - Jamie may come to E-Town; you should too so I can spank your SS!

sounds good... only problem is the three of us trying to launch on street tires is only an exercise in futility... I say we line up three wide on 684... from say a 45 mph roll.... take it up to like 110... everybody knows ls1's have no top end power... :cool:

do you care to make interesting ??? :D :D :D :D :D