PDA

View Full Version : PI Torque Converter install - OK to drive before flashing tune?

pez
04-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Hello all,
It's been quite some time since I last posted on here! I have a PI 2800 (I think - it could be 3000) stall TC ordered from Dennis over 2 years ago, and I've finally decided to have it installed while I'm home in Ottawa visiting. Trouble is, I have to drive the car about 1200 KM this week, to New Brunswick, and that's where my XCalibrator 2 is..... Will there be any problem driving it a fairly long distance with the new TC without a proper tune? I'm guessing no, as it'll be locked up on the highway anyway... Any odd behaviour to expect? Codes that might be thrown? Anything else out of the ordinary?

Also, the old question on fluids...... In the past I've used Ford and Castrol Mercon V, and also Amsoil ATF in 4R70W's, with no issues.... Current consensus around here? Ford Mercon V is always good, but the new TC will likely be putting out a little more heat than stock.... Motor is stock, just with a tune, and 4.10's out back...

Cheers,
Colin

Zack
04-25-2009, 03:39 PM
The tune in the car will be fine, as well as using Mercon 5.
Welcome back!

ctrlraven
04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Like Zack said the car will be fine, you might notice it lock and unlock easier or at different mph/throttle pressure but it won't hurt anything just might be annoying a little.

Dennis Reinhart
04-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Hello all,
It's been quite some time since I last posted on here! I have a PI 2800 (I think - it could be 3000) stall TC ordered from Dennis over 2 years ago, and I've finally decided to have it installed while I'm home in Ottawa visiting. Trouble is, I have to drive the car about 1200 KM this week, to New Brunswick, and that's where my XCalibrator 2 is..... Will there be any problem driving it a fairly long distance with the new TC without a proper tune? I'm guessing no, as it'll be locked up on the highway anyway... Any odd behaviour to expect? Codes that might be thrown? Anything else out of the ordinary?

Also, the old question on fluids...... In the past I've used Ford and Castrol Mercon V, and also Amsoil ATF in 4R70W's, with no issues.... Current consensus around here? Ford Mercon V is always good, but the new TC will likely be putting out a little more heat than stock.... Motor is stock, just with a tune, and 4.10's out back...

Cheers,
Colin

Amsol is very good, I run oil as well as trans, and diferential.