PDA

View Full Version : Considering purchase...

a_d_a_m
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I am considering a JLT CAI. Of course, it will depend on my financial situation but assuming that I have the funds to swing it after Carlisle, I have a few questions. These are based on the things I am reading on this site and others....

1. I am hearing things about the fitment of the CAI for these cars - both JLT and K&N. What specifically is the issue with the fitment (other than "heat shield", I'm wondering what about the heat shield is the problem), and what is the work-around for it? Does anyone have pictures of any modifications they had to do to make the CAI fit?

2. I am running a Zack tune, with no other mods. Is there any chance that this is going to trigger a CEL and MAF-related problems? I have a friend who installed an intake on his car (not a JLT) and it threw a CEL. Kinda paranoid about something like that happening. My car is not a P.O.S., and will not throw a light unless something is actually wrong.

3. Assuming I am able to keep my foot out of the gas on normal driving, will my MPG's go down, up, or stay the same?

4. Is 10HP good for much at the strip? A hundredth or so? Never had my car on the strip and just curious about it.

Lastly...
5. Anyone have a video so I can hear what this bad boy sounds like???

SC Cheesehead
05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Do yo have any other mods? If this is the first one you're considering, you may want to opt for a tune first.

I'm running a PHP CAI on my car, and haven't had any problems with fit, performance, throwing codes, etc.

Not certain you're going to see a significant performance increase, but the installation will definitely change the sound.

ImpalaSlayer
05-05-2009, 04:52 PM
i agree get a tune first! more bang for the buck! i may have a k&n forsale around that time if you wana buy a used one.

a_d_a_m
05-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Do yo have any other mods? If this is the first one you're considering, you may want to opt for a tune first.

i agree get a tune first! more bang for the buck!

See question #2.
:lol:

i agree get a tune first! more bang for the buck! i may have a k&n forsale around that time if you wana buy a used one.
Would prefer to support a vendor on this site, but if the price is right...ya never know.

ImpalaSlayer
05-05-2009, 04:53 PM
See question #2.
:lol:

DOH! sorry

a_d_a_m
05-05-2009, 04:55 PM
HAHA! It's alright.

SC Cheesehead
05-05-2009, 04:56 PM
DOH! sorry

+1, missed that the first time around, sorry! :o

Anyway, the rest of my response remains the same, nice sound, no problems, probably not a significant gain in performance, but still a good mod.

a_d_a_m
05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
OK. I would like to hear the difference, still waiting to see if anyone can come up with a CAI in-car video...

2,4shofast
05-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I would love to make a in car video but the exhaust is too loud to hear the CAI, I think for the money the JLT is unmatched.

Tucker
05-06-2009, 06:46 AM
12-15 RWHP is a significant gain in HP for $165. That's about $11/ per HP.

The powers there, but it's been gained in a 4000+ LB car. Hard to "feel" it, but the dyno proves it's there.

Glad your happy

fastblackmerc
05-06-2009, 06:50 AM
The JLT is the best mod for the money. Regardless of the HP gain, your car will sound f__kin awesome!