PDA

View Full Version : torque converters

burt ragio
05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I have the disire to smoke the tires. The only way it will happen with greater eeze is with a different converter. I'am thinking of a 3500 stall speed PI or one by BC. My concern is heat build up. I will also add a trans cooler.This is my every day transportation. Since much driving is done under 2500 RPMS & under 50 mph Do most people get a tune to lock the converter it in at 50 mph to prevent heat build up as well as for performance. Or get a tune to lock the converter at a certain RPM ?

Blown3.8
05-05-2009, 05:51 PM
You can get a tune to lock it in second gear or any gear rpm you'd like that will keep the heat down:2thumbs:

ImpalaSlayer
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
if its your DD you may not want a convertor. the car feels slower unless your WOT. it will also take more throttle to get the car to get going. witht hat being said, i love mine and it sounds very cool with the exhaust!

burt ragio
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Sounds like I need to continue to save for the Trilogy.

ImpalaSlayer
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
well if thats your ultimate plan i wouldnt bother with the TC anyway.

stangracr
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a 3500 pi in mine and its a daily driver. I love it. Runs great all the time. Using a zack tune.

ed

Dennis Reinhart
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
I have the disire to smoke the tires. The only way it will happen with greater eeze is with a different converter. I'am thinking of a 3500 stall speed PI or one by BC. My concern is heat build up. I will also add a trans cooler.This is my every day transportation. Since much driving is done under 2500 RPMS & under 50 mph Do most people get a tune to lock the converter it in at 50 mph to prevent heat build up as well as for performance. Or get a tune to lock the converter at a certain RPM ?

I do, I lock it up after the 1/2 and every on e has there opinions of brands Darrin makes a good converter and I like PI as well

Pat
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Respectfully differ with ImpalaSlayer, I've had my PI 3500 for several years now, along with an oil cooler, and my acceleration at part throttle is MUCH improved than with the 4:10's alone. Mine is also a daily driver, 74K on the meter.

At normal(?) pressure on the go pedal from a stop lite, I'm at 50 MPH and the rest of the traffic is but a memory. No high rev's, no tire squeal, no loud exhaust rap, just color me gone.

I have a DR tune.

Regards,

ImpalaSlayer
05-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Respectfully differ with ImpalaSlayer, I've had my PI 3500 for several years now, along with an oil cooler, and my acceleration at part throttle is MUCH improved than with the 4:10's alone. Mine is also a daily driver, 74K on the meter.

At normal(?) pressure on the go pedal from a stop lite, I'm at 50 MPH and the rest of the traffic is but a memory. No high rev's, no tire squeal, no loud exhaust rap, just color me gone.

I have a DR tune.

Regards,

hmm maybe its in my head. or my tune, it seems like it takes a while to get it to go. i also dont truly know what brand of TC i have. ive been told its a PI rebuilt by circle D

ctrlraven
05-06-2009, 06:00 AM
I have a 3500 pi in mine and its a daily driver. I love it. Runs great all the time. Using a zack tune.

ed
I've had a 3500 for over two years, daily drive my car 24-25k miles a year, city and highway driving. Yes upgrading the converter can make the vehicle feel slightly sluggish off the line but if you get 4.10 gears along with it that will fix the issue.

As with a lot of things there are some trade offs but the performance is well worth it. 3500 stall, 4.10 gears and a tune by Zack is your prescription for tire smoking.

fastblackmerc
05-06-2009, 06:45 AM

Contact these guys http://www.converter.com/ they'll you the straight poop.

burt ragio
05-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Dennis I have your tune I purchased from you when I 1st bought my car. It made my sled come alive a huge differance. Lter installed 4:10 gears. I would asume with a 3500 stall speed converter The tune on lock up would be different from the tune I now have ?

burt ragio
05-06-2009, 07:10 AM
ctrlraven what have you found those trade offs have been ?

Svashtar
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
if its your DD you may not want a convertor. the car feels slower unless your WOT. it will also take more throttle to get the car to get going. witht hat being said, i love mine and it sounds very cool with the exhaust!

I read every thread I could find on this forum and posted the question a half-dozen times and this is the first time I've read this information. Finally. Thank you.

I've had 4:10's from the get go. After my trans rebuild and PI3000 my daily driver felt like I had added an anchor to it. Took me a while to figure this out, so thanks for confirming. At WOT there's no doubt it's faster, but going off a stop light at "normal" speeds it feels like a slug sometimes. After my $322 ticket a couple of months ago for pushing it a bit on the freeway, I don't put it to the wall as much anymore.

FYI, I have a standard DR N/A tune and was told I didn't need to change it at all when I added the PI and Level II, so I hope that still holds.

DOOM
05-21-2009, 12:32 AM

If you go this route i wouldn't be worried about a converter. :burn: :burnout:

Local Boy
05-21-2009, 01:12 AM
If you just bump up the idle...you can eliminate that time it takes for the converter to spoll up...Hence, no "lag" off idle...

It worked for me...

ALOHA