PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if I need a Transmission Flush?

wilsoj6
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
How can I tell if I need a transmission flush? When I check the tranny fluid it does seem as if there is too much fluid in there and my car stalls at low cruising speed ( 3-5 mph). They recommended one at jiffy lube when I got my last oil change but i was told that if I get a tranny flush and I don't really need it that I can damage my tranny so...how do I know?:o

Black_Noise
05-07-2009, 02:14 PM
OMG stop going to jiffy lube RIGHT NOW.

they will sell you anything they can and probably F something up in the process.

You will damage nothing by doing a flush, they dont know anything about cars!
You only NEED a trans flush if your T fluid is dis-colored or smells burnt.

Otherwise you could just drop the pan and change the filter and top of fluid level.

STOP GOING TO JIFFY LUBE!!

TiTo35
05-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Stop going to Jiffy Lube FTMFW!!!! :banana:

W4LTD
05-07-2009, 02:22 PM
STOP GOING TO JIFFY LUBE!!

Big +1 -- The horror stories are so plentiful...we could start a forum!

Hotrauder
05-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Ford dealers in this area are doing oil changes for $14.95 to $19.95. taking your Marauder to Jiffy Lube is like giving a burglar your house keys. Building a relationship with your Ford Dealer service writer and YOUR mechanic (find out who is best and ask for him introduce yourself, tell him your concern with your Marauder and ask if he will take responsibility for all of your service and if so does he mind if you watch) is priceless. It works for me. It can work for you. If you can't make that deal go to another dealer. You will find you have a friend who cares for your car as you do, appreciates your trust and is grateful for the work. Ask about Ford Owners Advantage. I don't have an extended warrentee but my experience lately makes me think it would have been a good idea.

musclemerc
05-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Why would anyone take their car to Jiffy Lube? Even more why would you listen to their advice? But to answer your question, if the fluid is browning or turning black or has a burned smell change the fluid. Most of us do it on a schedule I personally change mine once a year some do it more than that. Please stay away from Jiffy Lube. ;) Your stall issue at low speeds sounds like MAF, air filter, fuel filter, or injectors

O's Fan Rich
05-08-2009, 06:02 AM
My tranny has been flushed by Ford 3 times ( or was it 4???) in 78,000 miles. Pan was dropped once and filter/screen changed and fluid topped off.

I do it as a preventative measure.

Oh..... stop going to Jiffy Lube......+1000100

ctrlraven
05-08-2009, 06:27 AM
I've had mine flushed twice and every 15k miles I drain the fluid and add 5 qts back in.

wilsoj6
05-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Ok... for some strange reason I'm starting to think I shouldn't have gone to jiffy lube. I just went for an oil change however, from the feedback on this post I don't think I will be going back. Thanks for the info

musclemerc
05-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey i noticed your in Miami, if Pines Blvd and I-75 is'nt too far there's a L/M Dealership that has a great svc. department start there if not goto World Ford in MIA ;)

JimmyXR7
05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
How can I tell if I need a transmission flush?

MMs are driven harder than taxis. Flush your trans at 15 to 30K miles depending on how you drive. At double the miles drop the trans pan and have it cleaned. See my other posts with photos of the trans pan condition. Repeat with flush and then pan drop depending on what is in your trans pan. Make sure you look at the inside of your trans pan yourself. I took photos.
Jim
PS also see the posts on the differential gear oil changes.

Glockafella
05-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Stop going to Jiffy Lube FTMFW!!!! :banana:

I had a lowrider S-10 they roasted a tranny on...asked them to change the tranny fluid, they drained it and never filled itback up...100 miles later i had to buy a rebuilt tranny...I was pissed. They had no integrity about it, claiming , "If we hadnt fillied it back up it wouldnt have made it 100 miles"...screw them!:flamer:

Glockafella
05-12-2009, 11:16 PM
My tranny fluid is a bright translucent orange.

justbob
05-12-2009, 11:25 PM
My fluid didn't get changed till I hit 45,000 miles and it was still fine. However at 47,000 (last year) I s/c her and now my fluid is OVER changed! I've dropped my pan twice now in only 10,000 miles. The last time I took the valve body down to do the jmod and she took 9 quarts to fill back up. I probably have the cleanest fluid in the midwest LOL.

Fluids are cheap, I tend to do oil at 1,500-2,000, tranny pan drop 10,000, rear end 15,000, coolant every year, and brake fluid yearly also.

Glockafella
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Fluid change is the #1 thing you can do to make your car last longer!!!

cv2000pi
05-15-2009, 08:38 PM
In the Kansas City ,Jiffy Lube stands for Just Lucky if there are not any problems after their service especailly at the 103rd & State Line Center. It not unusual to see
oil dry all the way down to Gates.

Glockafella
06-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Man thats sad...

RF Overlord
06-03-2009, 01:56 PM
How can I tell if I need a transmission flush? When I check the tranny fluid it does seem as if there is too much fluid in there How are you checking the fluid? It should be done with the transmission at operating temperature, vehicle level, transmission in park, engine idling. If your fluid is anywhere in the crosshatched region on the dipstick, it's fine.

As far as how you can tell if you need a flush, we need more info:

How many miles on the car?
Has it ever been changed before?
Do you tow an Airstream through the mountains in July carrying 4 morbidly obese passengers with a week's worth of luggage each?

TiTo35
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I had a lowrider S-10 they roasted a tranny on...asked them to change the tranny fluid, they drained it and never filled itback up...100 miles later i had to buy a rebuilt tranny...I was pissed. They had no integrity about it, claiming , "If we hadnt fillied it back up it wouldnt have made it 100 miles"...screw them!:flamer:

I am surprised there hasnt been a lawsuit against them!:argue:

bigbillybbs
06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS jiffy lube Can bend over and ---- my ----!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEY S U C K :shake:

Bluerauder
06-04-2009, 03:57 AM
Ok... for some strange reason I'm starting to think I shouldn't have gone to Jiffy Lube.

Ding, ding, ding, ding ...... we have a winner here.

CBT
06-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Why you all bashing on Jippy Lube? It's a great place to work if you have a 4th grade education, can at least get 2 letters of the word OIL correct on your application, and are currently on a work release program. P.S., if you are a registered sex offender, you can work there, cause not many 12 year olds bring thier cars in for A/C checks so you don't have to worry about distractions.

Joe Walsh
06-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Why you all bashing on Jippy Lube? It's a great place to work if you have a 4th grade education, can at least get 2 letters of the word OIL correct on your application, and are currently on a work release program. P.S., if you are a registered sex offender, you can work there, cause not many 12 year olds bring thier cars in for A/C checks so you don't have to worry about distractions.

Yeah,
But those color coded dispensing nozzles can get pretty confusing....

BTW: A buddy of mine worked at a reputable auto repair shop that was near a JiffyLube.
He would get customers coming in for various problems shortly after going to JiffyLube for an oil change and 'fluid top-off'.
He's found oil in the brake reservoir and anti freeze in the washer fluid reservoir.

FrankJAG
06-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Had a friend of mine loose an engine because they didn't tighten up the plug :-/
Never used them, never will.

Marauderjack
06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
A friend of my daughter's went in with a Ford Fiesta...I think and they put 85W90 gear oil in the engine which ruined it in quick order!!:eek:

It took 6 months to get them to pay but they finally did!!:beer:

I wouldn't take a dog sled to JL!!:shake: