PDA

View Full Version : Best launch technique?

bigjon
05-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I have searched and read many threads about this, but many of the responses seem to conflict each other. Also, it seems like all of the posts seem to happen within a thread of a different topic. So I thought I would ask this question outright.

The reason I am asking this question here is that I have a Circle D 10" 3400 stall TC. I know many of you here have a smaller TC, so I wanted your opinions.

So, flash or pre-load the TC and to what RPM? Have any of you tried the different techniques back to back? Vids are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

justbob
05-09-2009, 09:48 AM
The first time out with a converter that big i'd start somewhere around 2,400 rpm's and go from there. You do have DR's right?

bigjon
05-10-2009, 07:19 AM
so, pre-load to 2400 rpm's? is this what you do with your 11.25" tc? or is this rpm the unanimous decision on others with a smaller tc than stock?

justbob
05-10-2009, 09:00 AM
No, most stock guys seem to pre-load up to 2000 give or take, thats seems to work best for me also (stock tc). However I would start a little higher on yours. Its all trial and error, how well the track is prepped, what tires are working for you, way too many variables. It seems with mine 1800 and lower and 2300 and higher its a dog and struggles real hard to get going. But at 2-2100 with dr's its a bat outa hell. Just start at around low 2's and see how she feels.

babbage
05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I have searched and read many threads about this, but many of the responses seem to conflict each other. Also, it seems like all of the posts seem to happen within a thread of a different topic. So I thought I would ask this question outright.

The reason I am asking this question here is that I have a Circle D 10" 3400 stall TC. I know many of you here have a smaller TC, so I wanted your opinions.

So, flash or pre-load the TC and to what RPM? Have any of you tried the different techniques back to back? Vids are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there! When are you going to the drags? People here say to flash the converter - no preload - just mash and flash then dash. (with out any wheelspin is the trick) There is an open test and tune on June 14th.

Can you make it? I invited Big Bad Joe too - not sure if he'll show.

Blackened300a
05-15-2009, 02:23 PM
People here say to flash the converter - no preload - just mash and flash then dash. (with out any wheelspin is the trick).

+1
Flash is the way to go.

ctrlraven
05-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I just pre-load mine. Yes I know lights are on, just put on the drag radials and adjusted the Revs Per Mile to test them out before Zack sent me my drag radial race tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-thPZ3wzA
Sp-thPZ3wzA

If I can get Doom's DVcam to download videos correctly I'm going to take another video using the drag radial tune this time.

DOOM
05-15-2009, 02:38 PM
+1
Flash is the way to go.

What do you mean by "FLASH"?

Joe Walsh
05-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Oh well...here comes more controversy.

I preload my converter (Art Carr 2800 rpm*) to @ 2,500 rpm.
I've gotten my best 60 foot times by doing this. (1.795 secs.)
I have tried the mash it, flash it and go technique...but I've run slower times doing it that way.
I never spun the P255/16 BFG DRs at 2,500 rpm so I need to experiment some more.
In fact, my next trip to the track I will continue to raise my preload rpm until I blow off the tires.

* It stalls higher than 2800 rpm due to my engine's torque output.

babbage
05-16-2009, 07:09 AM
I just pre-load mine. Yes I know lights are on, just put on the drag radials and adjusted the Revs Per Mile to test them out before Zack sent me my drag radial race tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-thPZ3wzA
Sp-thPZ3wzA

If I can get Doom's DVcam to download videos correctly I'm going to take another video using the drag radial tune this time.

Nice run that must be one heck of a hill you are going down!:lol:

j/k

What do you have for mods? I can see a small flat spot or bog around 55 MPH - I'm sure mines much more noticeable. I think a nice CircleD converter will fix that.

ImpalaSlayer
05-16-2009, 09:15 AM
well after 8 passes last night ive come to this:

first pass raise the rpm slightly off idle = 14.1 same thing for the next 2 passes

4th pass, let the car cool down for an hour, same out launch same outcome

5th pass come right back around load the convertor up as high as it would go with out spinning (3500 stall) wich was about 2600-2700 spun the 255s off the line got out of it then back into it for a 14.2 finish

6th run, got staged 3rd amber i "flashed" it, the car boged down and ran a 14.3

last 2 runs i did the same as the first 3 and got 2 more 14.1s out of it

Pops
05-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Dave your first runs is how I do it. Was there any improvement with the performance of the car?

ImpalaSlayer
05-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Dave your first runs is how I do it. Was there any improvement with the performance of the car?

the track was GREAT. but it was 99% humidity and like mids 70s so conditions wernt ideal. fastest i went b4 that was a 14.0 in mid 50s with low humidity.

i hadent really planed on getting good numbers i just wanted to go have some fun. i raced 2 mustangs and came very close each time! almost beat a new 05+ gt but he won by .002 or something like that, it was the most fun ive had at the track yet!

Vortech347
05-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Launch as high as the car will hook. :) What works for other people, most likely will not work for you. Case by case, track by track. Practice Practice Practice.

ctrlraven
05-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Nice run that must be one heck of a hill you are going down!:lol:

j/k

What do you have for mods? I can see a small flat spot or bog around 55 MPH - I'm sure mines much more noticeable. I think a nice CircleD converter will fix that.
That was actually going up hill. JLT, intake spacer, upgraded fuel system, PI 3500 stall, semi-cat back exhaust. The bog is there because the tune I was using has 2003 trans information and I have a 2004. If I stay less than half throttle the bog/lag doesn't shop up.

bigjon
05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
well after 8 passes last night ive come to this:

first pass raise the rpm slightly off idle = 14.1 same thing for the next 2 passes

4th pass, let the car cool down for an hour, same out launch same outcome

5th pass come right back around load the convertor up as high as it would go with out spinning (3500 stall) wich was about 2600-2700 spun the 255s off the line got out of it then back into it for a 14.2 finish

6th run, got staged 3rd amber i "flashed" it, the car boged down and ran a 14.3

last 2 runs i did the same as the first 3 and got 2 more 14.1s out of it

some great info here. thank you!

bigjon
05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey there! When are you going to the drags? People here say to flash the converter - no preload - just mash and flash then dash. (with out any wheelspin is the trick) There is an open test and tune on June 14th.

Can you make it? I invited Big Bad Joe too - not sure if he'll show.

i have to work that weekend. if i am able to change something, i will let you know!:beer:

th48308
06-01-2009, 06:30 AM
i spun my way to a 14.9 yesterday at 75-80, im a track racing newbie it surely isnt easy not to spin...i have only a tune and intake now...if i get 4:10s ill prolly just spin more with my current tires....wat can i expect from a torque converter?

Blackened300a
06-01-2009, 09:01 AM
i spun my way to a 14.9 yesterday at 75-80, im a track racing newbie it surely isnt easy not to spin...i have only a tune and intake now...if i get 4:10s ill prolly just spin more with my current tires....wat can i expect from a torque converter?

Lots and lots more spinning. Try setting your tire pressure to 25psi.

rayjay
06-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Lots and lots more spinning. Try setting your tire pressure to 25psi.

and stay out of the water box.

03calitejas
06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
First time with the MM at a track weekend before last and first time drag racing since I was like 20 or so. Had a fun Ford weekend at the local 1/4 mile track just across the border in Minnesota...got in 8 runs. Preloaded everytime (brake torquing?) to about 2000 rpm. Felt pretty good when it launched but afterwards I was talking with one of the Cobra guys there and he mentioned it looked like it was bogging a bit after the launch and suggested I just mash it on the last yellow and see what happens. They shut down the track before I could give that a try. I had what I thought were ery consistent times all between 14.5 and 14.7. Best speed thru the traps was 98MPH which was faster than I thought I'd get running 14.5. The Nittos didnt spin at all but since they had water down on both lanes (and no steenkin room to drive around it) I had to smoke them a bit to get the ick off of them. Will go back again in a week or two and try the mash it and go technique

bigjon
06-01-2009, 10:16 PM
i never race on the street, but i wanted to make a 0-60 run. it felt sooo good, i kept going to 80. i actually got a little sideways launching. sorry for the poor quality. i timed it in moviemaker to about 13.6 0-80 with a bad launch. not too shabby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=168EEzuhWQU

bigjon
06-01-2009, 10:18 PM
oh, and here is a vid of me driving my car around for a little while so people can see what it is like driving a daily driver with a high stall tc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xr2SJAcxOY&NR=1

xopher
06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
What do you mean by "FLASH"?
+1. Please explain. I always assumed flashing was synonymous with loading up to 2000 rpms. Please explain the difference.

bigjon
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
flashing is mashing the gas.