PDA

View Full Version : Transmission compatibility between other Ford models

Got Diesel?
05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Tranny went on the Marauder today, and I just don't have the money to spend on a new or or a rebuilt unit. An friend has a 97 Mark VIII 4r70w, are they a compatible unit? I called Ford and all they could tell me is the part numbers are different? What make them different? Are we talking case, valve bodys, tail shaft....

Any help or suggestion is appreciated as I just don't have 2k to spend on a trans right now.

FYI sounds like a rear bearing is letting loose so I get a high pitch wine in OD also some noise in first gear (from what I understand these two are related). Reverse is also having a issue when I backed it in to the garage it sounded like it was racheting and the car hesitated to move.

ctrlraven
05-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Why get a new or reman unit when you can have your own rebuilt for a lot cheaper?

Sorry to hear about that though.

Got Diesel?
05-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Why get a new or reman unit when you can have your own rebuilt for a lot cheaper?

Sorry to hear about that though.

Well, playing worst case scenario (and talking to a Ford tech) the bearing let loose and got into the planetary and the reverse sprag so the hard parts along would be close to 1k. I can have a Ford reman unit at my cost with out shipping for $1450 so with shipping could be as much as $150. = $1600.00

That and on a rebuilt unit from say the local repair shop doesn't have close to the warranty or serviceability that the Ford unit has (3yr, 100k)

Right now I'm just trying to get it back on the road long enough to have a Ford unit 4r70w installed.

ctrlraven
05-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah Ford reman warranty is pretty hard to beat. I would think a Mach 1 auto trans would be the closet to ours.

FordNut
05-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Marauder and CVPI have a longer tailshaft housing than the others. I suspect if it's a 4r70w it would work, just swap the tailshaft housing.

ctrlraven
05-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Do you have an 03 or 04?

Got Diesel?
05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Do you have an 03 or 04?

03'

On the tail shaft issue, its not a matter of just swapping a housing is it, doesn't one of the main shafts run thru that housing? So the the length of the shaft would be the deciding factor?

I got this from another site:

"It will not work, Valve body and spedo previsions are different."