PDA

View Full Version : Tuner newbie. ????'s

Matt In Detroit
06-03-2009, 11:39 AM
So I recieved an Xcal2 tuner with the Marauder I bought. It has a custom tune from some place in Wisconsin. Car runs great, no complaints. Id just like to know more about how it works. My questions.

- Since the tune is in the car im assuming the stock tune is in the tuner? its locked on my cars vin now?

- Can I add other tunes to try from other people? If so how? Maybe there is more than 1 tune on it? how do i check that.

- Any way this can be used to "tune" my E150 and clean up the shifting? or is it dedicated to the Marauder by vin?

Since im new to the whole "tune" thing, Im just wondering what else i can do with this thing other than it being in a box in the garage.

ckadiddle
06-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Likely that it is holding your stock tune while you are driving a custom tune. Yes, likely it is vin locked to your Marauder. You can also probably use it to read and reset trouble codes on any OBDII compliant Ford product. Keep it somewhere safe, if you ever have wierd drivability issues, you can switch back to stock tune and see if the issue goes away.

Disclaimer - I am a tuner user, and I only have experience with Reinhart tunes on the xcal2. Some of the other folks here are MUCH more knowledgeable than I am, and do their own custom tuning. Perhaps they will speak up and give you some more details.

Matt In Detroit
06-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks. Yes im quite sure the stock tune is in the device and the "custom" tune is in the car. Ive been doing a lot of reading on SCT's site and online to learn about this thing.

The custom tune in the car (from C&M Automotive in Wisc.) is ok but I feel the shifting isnt that great. I keep hearing about tunes others here are running and how spot on the shifting is and all. Id like to get some other tunes to try them, is that possible? do you guys share tunes? I see where people have like 3 tunes on their tuner, looks like mine only had one. How do i get others to try.