PDA

View Full Version : Car lot sticker, black boxin', tip maintenace, etc

Jeremy
06-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Well.. I plan on finally getting around to giving my MM a good detailing tomorrow afternoon... It's so dirty now I'm almost ashamed to drive it around.. especially after seeing Embassy's ride.. haha

Anywho.. the lot that had it put a HUGE frikin ugly _METAL_ decal on the trunk.. I've been wanting to remove it but I've been afraid I'd mess up the clear.. (that's how my luck goes...)

What do you guys recommend? Heat gun/flat blade? adhesive remover too?

Also.. gonna hit it with the Black Box wax and all of my trim with "back to black"..

Also.. my tips are NASTY.. and I mean.. NASTY.. what's the recommendation for some hardcore cleaning? Also, polishing afterwards?

I've got a feelin I'm going to be drinking a lot of beer tomorrow... haha

Embassy
06-06-2009, 09:41 AM

A heat gun could help.

Also, you can use a rag and saturate the badge with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/aerospace/node_GSZRQR5VJ6be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSNNJ6NQDKge/gvel_GSYCNP8Q3Ggl/theme_us_aerospace_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html) That should loosen it up.

I've used this stuff to remove old tar and adhesive residue from badges.

Just make sure you wash the area afterwards and apply some sort of polish/protectant.

My local NAPA carries it.

Take pics of your results.

Jeremy
06-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Well.. I used a buddy of mine's shop.. he painted 25 yrs so it was setup with plenty of light (which helped)...

7.5 hrs for the outside.. no interior yet.. or engine bay.. and he didnt have a heat gun.. sooo.. the badge is still there..

The tips still require some love.. wd-40 did a good job of taking off tar/crap.. then waxed..

I know a guy who's a Corvette nut.. he offered to polish the tips with whatever wierd stuff he's using.. (they look good!)

The black box did good.. my good ole Ford paint is showing it's colors though.. and whoever reshot the front bumper before I got the car.

Luckily.. a local body shop is wanting me to do a bunch of work.. so I'm smelling a trade-out hopefully...

Forgot the camera.. so I used the cell phone cam.. it sucks.. but I'll try to take some shots tomorrow.. I'm gonna go over it with the detailer again and see if I can't fix that foggy drivers side headlight..

anywho.. I'm wore out.. I'm gonna shower and go drink more beer

n3fvg
06-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Well.. I plan on finally getting around to giving my MM a good detailing tomorrow afternoon... It's so dirty now I'm almost ashamed to drive it around.. especially after seeing Embassy's ride.. haha

Anywho.. the lot that had it put a HUGE frikin ugly _METAL_ decal on the trunk.. I've been wanting to remove it but I've been afraid I'd mess up the clear.. (that's how my luck goes...)

Also.. gonna hit it with the Black Box wax and all of my trim with "back to black"..

Also.. my tips are NASTY.. and I mean.. NASTY.. what's the recommendation for some hardcore cleaning? Also, polishing afterwards?

I've got a feelin I'm going to be drinking a lot of beer tomorrow... haha

I use a plastic body putty spatula to work behind the decal and eventually it slips behind the whole decal.
For cleaning tips, I always use: http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/product.asp?itemid=1007&cat=5006
Recommended by Magnaflow for their tips and works great on all stainless and chrome tips. USE AS DIRECTED!

justbob
06-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Fishing line also works good for emblem removal.

Richy04
06-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Ditto on the fishing line, just make sure you have someone there to catch it if its a flava flav size emblem.

Bug and tar remover will clean the tips,Never dull wadding polish, wd-40 is good too. As mentioned..