PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar confusion

valleyman
10-09-2003, 10:06 PM
:confused: A little help please from those who have already installed their sway bars from the group buy. My sway bar kit from Addco did not include any new brackets for the midsection bushings and Addco has not responded to my e-mail asking if they forgot to put new brackets in the box or if I just re-use the OEM ones that are already on the car. Before I take off the stock bar, has anyone installed the new sway bar using the old brackets (i.e., will the old ones fit over the new beefier polyurethane bushings) or do I have to get new brackets from Addco? Many thanks

Glenn
10-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Use your OEM brackets. The bar is not difficult to install. I assume you got the hard and not rubber bushings. The bar makes a big difference in handling. You will really like it.

Glenn

Logan
10-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Like Glenn said, re-use the stock clamps.

valleyman
10-10-2003, 07:58 AM
10-4, Glenn and Logan. Thank you for quick response. I will also no doubt be inquiring of others on how to install the driveshaft.

SouLRioT
10-10-2003, 01:43 PM
for the drive shaft go here http://www.mercurymarauder.net/modules.php?s=&name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=2 should answer most of your questions

drobin
10-10-2003, 02:03 PM
If your gonna use the stock OEM clamps, make sure the bushings supplied has the pertruding dimple that mates into the clamp and lubricate as instructed......

valleyman
10-10-2003, 04:16 PM
For the driveshaft install, on a car with under 10K miles, is it OK to reuse the bolts on the driveshaft-to-rear flange connection? Yes, no, maybe, who cares? The shop manual recommends using new bolts. Also, since this is a balanced driveshaft, am I correct in assuming that there is no need to pay attention to the index paint marks on the axle flange as there is no heavy or light side to this driveshaft? And drobin, I do have the protruding dimples, thank you (sounds like I need a dermatologist, or plastic surgeon, doesn't it). Thanks all.

RF Overlord
10-10-2003, 04:28 PM
valley:

I spoke with a tech at DynoTech and he didn't say anything about using new bolts; he also said there was no need to index this shaft...Dennis's man (I'm terrible with names...James, maybe?) said the same thing...

gonzo50
10-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by SouLRioT
for the drive shaft go here http://www.mercurymarauder.net/modules.php?s=&name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=2 should answer most of your questions
Hey Logan, on your installation you say that air impact tools are reguired to do it yourself at home, can it still be accomplished with some elbow grease (regular hand tools) ? Thanks.

Petrograde
10-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by gonzo50
Hey Logan, on your installation you say that air impact tools are reguired to do it yourself at home, can it still be accomplished with some elbow grease (regular hand tools) ? Thanks.

Remember to torque to the proper value! It may seem trivial to some, .. and admittedly in some cases it is. IMHO the U-joint bolt torque is important!

I've been wrenching on helicopters for 10 years, and I can tell you from first hand experience what can go wrong when you don't torque hardware properly! ... OK,OK. our Marauders aren't Apaches or Blackhawks; Marauders won't fall out of the sky if fail to torque something. But, I'll tell ya what. I take my MM just as seriously as a Blackhawk, and I know alot of you guys do too!

If you don't have any of your own torque wrenches, you can:

a) buy one. Craftsman has a very affordable line of torque wrenches.

b) rent one. there are many places you can rent them, usually the same place you can rent a cherry picker from.

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to PM me or reply to this thread. I'll help ya any way I can!

Tom

PS- if you buy one ... don't forget to ave it calibrated before you use it, ... also,.. you have to calibrate it every 6 months, .. or if you drop it!! :(

Petrograde
10-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Oh Yeah,...

Air tools,... this is how I do it. Snug it down with the air wrench or ratchet. Then use the torque wrench to apply the value. Be aware you might have to back off the torque a little, so you can feel it tighten, .. then click. Folks, don't be scared by this. It's really easy! as some here will tell you.

Also, there is something called "torque rods" you can use on on air tools. They are usually quite expensive though, and I wouldn't recommend them for anything more than lug nuts! Which are 95 Ft. lbs. BTW.

Some of you mechanics out there might think I'm being anal,.. OK, maybe I am. What I'm talking about is aviation standards, the top of the line maintenance techniques. so to speck. If you want more proof, just ask Cruzer,IK04, or Bob Mathis,... and probably a few more here.

That little bit of extra effort can make your MM last alot longer!

Tom

PS- if there is any interest, I'll post a "torque wrench tutorial"

jgc61sr2002
10-11-2003, 04:12 AM
petrograde - Excellent advice. Thanks:up: