PDA

View Full Version : headlight out= .1 sec quicker yesterday

03calitejas
06-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Got in 15 runs on Friday at a test n tune in Moorhead Mn and had a freaking blast !!!! ...second time at the track w the MM. OK, so I tried the headlight out vs headlight in (also side view mirrors back)and it did seem to shave about a tenth off my average times but I'm still way early on the learning curve at the track.

I also tried going around the water box twice and spun the Nitto's both times. When I preloaded to 2K without the burnout I got seriously sideways off the line- won't do that again...

Mashing gas Vs Preloading...the preloading gives about a .2 sec advantage for me at the 60ft

Best 60ft times for me come after a serious burn out and preloading to about 2K. I am wasting those tires quickly and need to invest in the MT slicks that JustBob has posted about(I have a spare set of MM rims). My best time to date is a 14.441 at 96.19MPH. Last run of the day I went thru the traps at 98.83 but only ET's at 14.551- go figure

Clocked 3 runs under the 14.5 barrier I was stuck at last time so I am pretty pumped now about getting the underdrive pulleys in and seeing what that does to the ET's.

babbage
06-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Got in 15 runs on Friday at a test n tune in Moorhead Mn and had a freaking blast !!!! ...second time at the track w the MM. OK, so I tried the headlight out vs headlight in (also side view mirrors back)and it did seem to shave about a tenth off my average times but I'm still way early on the learning curve at the track.

I also tried going around the water box twice and spun the Nitto's both times. When I preloaded to 2K without the burnout I got seriously sideways off the line- won't do that again...

Mashing gas Vs Preloading...the preloading gives about a .2 sec advantage for me at the 60ft

Best 60ft times for me come after a serious burn out and preloading to about 2K. I am wasting those tires quickly and need to invest in the MT slicks that JustBob has posted about(I have a spare set of MM rims). My best time to date is a 14.441 at 96.19MPH. Last run of the day I went thru the traps at 98.83 but only ET's at 14.551- go figure

Clocked 3 runs under the 14.5 barrier I was stuck at last time so I am pretty pumped now about getting the underdrive pulleys in and seeing what that does to the ET's.

Nice runs. How fast is it to remove the light? also how hot and muggy?

DOOM
06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Keep up the good work! :up:

03calitejas
06-13-2009, 08:53 PM
the headlight removal is about a 5 minute job....remove the plastic cover that spans across the very front of the engine bay (3 plastic thumbscrew thingies), carefully detach the connector that is for the headlight wiring which is ahead of the bulkhead (the wire harness that runs into the headlight assy). remove the 3 phillips screws that hold the assy in. You need to push down on a small tab to move the assy forward out of the bay and push down a little bit on the bumper to get it clear. I've done it twice now (the last time at the track I was ready to go but the rains came 15 minutes before they were ready with the track) and it's a bit tricky but getting easier each time.

RE the hot and muggy...this is Fargo...it was about 70 so I think thats considered pretty hot here but fairly humid yesterday- had a little sprinkle which delayed the racing for about 30 minutes...

03calitejas
06-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Doom....thanks for the encouragement...I'm no Hemi Hunter yet but maybe in time...I saw the Carlisle pics- Man it looks like you folks had a blast and those pics of all the MM's lined up in every color...freaking awesome!

imorb1994
06-13-2009, 09:00 PM
look at post #2 in the thread below, makes it alot easier to remove the headlights
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51972&highlight=headlight+mod

03calitejas
06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
way way cool mod...cutting those slots will make it a 4 minute job now! Thanks for the help
:beer:

justbob
06-14-2009, 08:59 AM
I shave .2 everytime I take it out, but that is S/C.

ImpalaSlayer
06-14-2009, 10:09 AM
the one time i tried i sware it was going to brake!

sd8683
06-14-2009, 10:15 AM
the one time i tried i sware it was going to brake!

What was gonna break?

Paul T. Casey
06-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Last run of the day I went thru the traps at 98.83 but only ET's at 14.551- go figure

Probably spun the tires a little off the line. This increases the time you spend in the "power band", and gets you into it quicker. The problem, as you noticed, is it slows your et's. Other thing could be in your staging. If you're pretty shallow, you have a little more room for bigger mph numbers.

ImpalaSlayer
06-14-2009, 11:41 AM
What was gonna break?

the headlight

03calitejas
06-15-2009, 08:33 AM
The spinning of the tires on the line makes sense as I knew it was the last run and probably goosed the throttle too much before letting off the brake. There seems to be a sweet spot there with just a little tire spin that gets the best ET's.

On the headlight thing I thought I was going to break something too until I noticed the black retaining tab on the backside holding the assy into the front of the member. After that was released the assy moved forward a bit and I could see how to noodge it out.

JustBob's comment on the .2 sec diff he sees with the S/C makes perfect sense too as the air demands would be that much higher.