PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Wax Ice Clay kit

freakstatus
06-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Has anyone tried this product? Thoughts?

Blk Mamba
06-17-2009, 03:26 PM
I have, works, but it's a lot of work.

ImpalaSlayer
06-17-2009, 03:26 PM
i used the maguires one and it worked great. if it works as good as ice id assume itd work fine

chader
06-18-2009, 05:48 AM
not crazy about it. I think I will try a real "clay bar" kit/

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Be careful because the more aggressive clays (that work faster) are more harsh on your paint. If you really have to scrub with a clay bar on a black car, you WILL scratch it. If you go over your car with professional polishes regularly, you will probably have to re polish after aggressive claying. If your car has normal scratches and swirls everywhere like mine did before detailing it, it won't be as noticeable if you add minor scratches by rubbing hard on bonded contaminants with a clay bar.

ctrlraven
06-18-2009, 07:14 AM
I have and used it. It's a lot of work but it was well worth it. You have a liquid clay compound you use first THEN use their real clay bar. I was happy with the results.

freakstatus
06-18-2009, 08:47 AM
I have and used it. It's a lot of work but it was well worth it. You have a liquid clay compound you use first THEN use their real clay bar. I was happy with the results.

Thats what I liked about it, the liquid compound as opposed to just water and clay. I bought the kit and am just waiting for a good day to use it. I have a tree outside my house that loves to spew sap all over my hood. I think I'll throw a blanket over the hood when its parked out there.

ctrlraven
06-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah it's a 2-step process and the liquid clay bar has different compounds in it. Honestly compared to when I have clay barred my car before it took a lot of the top-mid level crap off before even used the clay bar, I think I only had to fold the clay bar 3 times for the whole car and when I use the Mequires I can end up using a whole bar for the car just for one time.

For bugs and tar I recommend this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RYVTK6WML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It works great for tree sap and bugs even stuff that is a few days old and has baked in the sun.

Black Dynamite
06-18-2009, 10:49 AM
I have used it. Works fine. Make sure you dry it with a towel to remove all of the crapola.

n3fvg
06-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Has anyone tried this product? Thoughts?

I am a long time Maguire's fan, always recommended by my auto body people over the years. Had some bad results with "Turdel" Wax products as a young motor head and never went back

Marylandrauder
06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I have had good results using Mother's brand-best $17 I spent!:)

Richy04
06-20-2009, 08:05 AM
I always stayed away from all Turtle wax stuff except for the wash, but the new products are really good. I did use the clay bar from Maguires, I dont think I would use anything else.

Vortech347
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't think it works that great..... I've used it on White, Mineral grey, black (other MM) and this SB. 90' paint and up. Using a real clay bar is far better.

ctrlraven
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't think it works that great..... I've used it on White, Mineral grey, black (other MM) and this SB. 90' paint and up. Using a real clay bar is far better.
Did you actually use the kit that INCLUDES a real clay bar? The kit is a 2-step kit.

Ice Liquid Clay:
A unique 3 layer cleaner that, when combined, will deep clean and remove embedded dirt and contaminants.

TOP LAYER - This layer contains specialty cleaners that are designed to remove stains left behind by bugs, tree sap and airborne particles.

MIDDLE LAYER - This is the car wash concentrate that will clean surface dirt and act as a lubricant to help prevent scratches.

BOTTOM LAYER - This is the hard working layer. It contains the specialty clay compounds that will cut through the tough dirt, contaminants, water marks, level swirl marks and light scratches, leaving your car with a thoroughly clean surface, ready for the ICE Clay Bar.

http://www.turtlewax.com/img/products/pop_2_1_1_4_1.jpg

I daily drive mine through everything and it worked pretty darn good.

GordonB
06-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I only have experience with 2 clay products:
1. Mother's clay kit that has a detailer and claybar followed by Meguiar's NXT liquid wax.
2. Griot's Garage Clay followed by Griot's Polish #3 or #4 on an orbital polisher (also Griot's) followed by Meguiar's NXT liquid wax.

I highly recommend Item #2 above. CAM folks can attest to the finish on BOTH my MMs as well as the 2nd & 3rd places I tool at the Safford FLM car show 2 weeks ago.

GordonB

LOWBUCKMM
06-24-2009, 03:22 PM
i have used the mothers clay bar kit on my marauder and i loved the way it looked when i was done. took a long time to do it but well worth it.