PDA

View Full Version : Initial review of the Kooks complete kit.

TooManyFords
10-12-2003, 08:38 AM
This is my initial review of the kit from Kooks prior to installation. As I continue through this project, I will add to this thread and post more documentation. The actual install date is set for the 18th, so don't ask for more info until then.

With all new kits, there is a learning curve. If you are not a competent garage mechanic with lots of tools, a lift and a tranny jack, I probably would not recommend this. Also, I'm sure it is just an oversite that will be corrected, but there are no instructions included with the kit. Again, this increases the difficulty factor for your average "I can change my oil with ramps" kind of person.

In no particular order...

Problem: It has been mentioned by Nick of Kooks that there will be "some studs" that have to be replaced. Logan mentioned this as well but there are no specifics. IMHO, if I have to go and procure additional hardware, this should be included in the kit so I don't find this out 5 hours into the install and I'm all dirty.

Solution: Include a parts list with the shipped kit. It should tell me what is in the box so I can see if packing missed anything. It should list all the tools required to do the swap. And finally, it should list all parts and do-dads that I need to purchase elsewhere before I begin. If I need a couple new studs for the exhaust manifold, either include them or tell me specifically what I need.

Problem: Looking at the "kit" on my garage floor all laid out, there is a descrepancy between the right side header and the high-flow cat. Logan's pictures show this as needing a small 10-20 degree bent pipe to align the system parallel to the ground. Out of the box, this kit will not even get you to the cats without custome parts. The exit angle of the collectors is differente from left to right and the

Solution: These short extensions seem to be a minimal priced component seeing the degree of workmanship that went into the X-pipe. It is very well done and shows the attention to detail it deserves. These short pipes between the collector and the cats should have been included to make it a "no brainer".

Problem: There are two collector clamps included in the kit that are bolted together with three bolts. These are presumably used to bolt the missing short pipes to the collectors. (remember, no parts list or instructions). Ok, I can figure that out, but there are only 3 bolts and not 6 in there. I have to go buy three more bolts to complete both sides.

Solution: Again, this looks like a simple oversite and should have been packaged in a bag with the two collector flange clamps and the 6 bolts, nuts and lock washers.

Now, I'm not doing this to promote any flame wars. I am trying to be unbiased and honest in what I see as flaws in a very good product. Any responsible manufacturer will accept this type of feedback to improve their products. I consider myself a competent week-end mechanic with all the tools etc. I've been wrenching on Fords for 25 years and have had dozens of musclecars. I give this kit a 4 out of 5 in difficulty based on what I have received.

Cheers!

More on this thread as I dig in.

Constable
10-12-2003, 08:57 AM
Hmm... I purchased the headers and the x-pipe only. I did not buy the x-pipe kit. I figured that my exhaust shop would be bending and fabricating everything anyways, so why not let them do the whole thing the way they want to do it.

Here's a big tip: I, too, was a little shaken by the fact that studs would need to be removed and replacd for the install. I contacted ARP fasteners to inquire about alternative products. They weren't all too much help.

While reading this month's MM&FF mag, I stumbled across an ad for "Stage8 Locking Fasteners". I contacted them on Friday. A tech rep advised me that they sell a kit (part #8906) that swaps the stock studs out for locking bolts. He recommended the kit for anyone installing mid-length or long tube headers on a 4.6 mod motor. I ordered a set for $55.00... it should arrive within the next few days. I'd rather go this way instead of only changing a handful of the studs.

martyo
10-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Constable
While reading this month's MM&FF mag, I stumbled across an ad for "Stage8 Locking Fasteners". I contacted them on Friday. A tech rep advised me that they sell a kit (part #8906) that swaps the stock studs out for locking bolts. He recommended the kit for anyone installing mid-length or long tube headers on a 4.6 mod motor. I ordered a set for $55.00... it should arrive within the next few days. I'd rather go this way instead of only changing a handful of the studs.

Ryan is right. Although I went with the Shorty package offered by Dennis, I was contemplating using a stud kit (Dennis' set up has all of the necessary hardware, but I thought a stud kit would be better). ARP was not able to help me, in large part because I did not have all of the measurements that ARP needed to size something up. Summit also could not help. Ryan's find of Stage8 seems to be good. Do let us know how you make out with their stud kit Ryan.

Odd how Ryan needs a stud kit....At E-Town he seemed to have no issues on that department. ;)

jgc61sr2002
10-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Ryan - That was a wise move ordering the fastener kit. Better have too many parts than not enough.:up:

Logan
10-12-2003, 10:37 AM
TooManyFords, all valid and good points... I found myself noddin' "Yep.." for every point you make. :)

I should've mentioned the differing collector angle, you're right, we bent up a "mating" piping that we welded the flanges Kook's sent to. Then welded the cat up to the mating pipe.

Inclusion of a stud kit would be a big plus or at least the option or availability of one would be.

Kook's is assuming that this is going to be shop installed, as it probably should be. It's definately not something I'd want to do at home with no lift...

Dennis Reinhart
10-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by martyo
Ryan is right. Although I went with the Shorty package offered by Dennis, I was contemplating using a stud kit (Dennis' set up has all of the necessary hardware, but I thought a stud kit would be better). ARP was not able to help me, in large part because I did not have all of the measurements that ARP needed to size something up. Summit also could not help. Ryan's find of Stage8 seems to be good. Do let us know how you make out with their stud kit Ryan.

Odd how Ryan needs a stud kit....At E-Town he seemed to have no issues on that department. ;)

My Kit now has a factory stud kit

Marauder8
03-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Will the shorty headers bolt to the stock cats?

FordNut
03-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Will the shorty headers bolt to the stock cats?
No, the shorties require the aftermarket x-pipe and cats.

Zack
03-26-2004, 04:45 PM
I give this kit a 4 out of 5 in difficulty based on

I just installed my Kooks on my garage floor in 7 hours including taking the old exhaust off.
I used a 13mm wrench, thats it.
No extensions, universal joints or new sware words.
I moved the A/C compressor, modified 1 stud, removed the drivers side motor mount to get the dipstick tube back in and jacked the motor up 2 inches. I didnt touch the transmission.
Anyone who replaces the manifold gaskets or installs locking header bolts is wasting their time.
As far as Im concerned, this was easy.

Logan
03-26-2004, 04:54 PM
I just wanna know what your power numbers are now Zack...So much for kickin' your butt at Indy buddy... You went and borrowed the same secret weapon I use... Hmph... :up: