PDA

View Full Version : Intake Detailing

Bulten Rauder
06-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not happy with my intake and alternator's aluminum finish. It appears to be corroded although I don't drive the car in the winter. There's a kind of "fur" with freckles all over them that I'd love to get cleaned off. Do I need to remove them or can they be cleaned while installed? What does the best/easiest job of getting them looking beauty again?

Thanks!

Joe Walsh
06-30-2009, 06:55 PM
I would be careful when cleaning the alternator's aluminum housing.
You don't want any of the crud falling into the armature assembly.

I took off my upper intake, and pulled the 'guts' out of my alternator case, then had both of them powerdercoated silver.
They stay a nice bright silver and are so much easier to clean than raw aluminum.

Glockafella
06-30-2009, 08:05 PM
scoring pad, they are green...work on it slowly with a lot of hand pressure. I use liquid dishwashing soap. Scrub it every week for a couple months. I know I know...but slowly it will look much better. I used mequirs mag and aluminium wheel polish after getting it cleaned up real good...Its a nightmare to clean.

Bulten Rauder
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I like the idea of having them polished or powdercoated...how tough is it to remove the intake (will I need any new gaskets etc.?) and how tough is it to strip the alternator?

Thanks,

Dave

Paul T. Casey
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Intake is a pretty simple remove/install. It's been a while, but I think I re-used the same gaskets. A dremel tool, a few polishing wheels, and some jewelers rouge will do an awesome job, and last forever. While you have it off, give some thought to port matching and polishing the business end of the intake.

Blackened300a
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I like the idea of having them polished or powdercoated...how tough is it to remove the intake (will I need any new gaskets etc.?) and how tough is it to strip the alternator?

Thanks,

Dave

The intake is pretty easy to remove and you can re-use the gaskets. There are books out there that show how to strip down a alternator. I wouldnt mess with unless you know what your looking at. There is a chrome one available for our cars for about $500.

Bulten Rauder
07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Intake is a pretty simple remove/install. It's been a while, but I think I re-used the same gaskets. A dremel tool, a few polishing wheels, and some jewelers rouge will do an awesome job, and last forever. While you have it off, give some thought to port matching and polishing the business end of the intake.

Very cool. How does one achieve this "port matching and polishing"? Is this something I could do myself?

Thanks!

Bulten Rauder
07-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I would be careful when cleaning the alternator's aluminum housing.
You don't want any of the crud falling into the armature assembly.

Would it be possible to carefully remove the alternator and just clean it carefully with a toothbrush and some aluminum polish? I could blow it out with air also...

Dave

ImpalaSlayer
07-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Very cool. How does one achieve this "port matching and polishing"? Is this something I could do myself?

Thanks!

got a demel? with a dremel and some patients it can be done

Bulten Rauder
07-01-2009, 04:48 PM

I have a Dremel. What would I be doing? ...besides polishing the insides to a perfect, gleaming shine! WTH is this "matching" business?

Paul T. Casey
07-01-2009, 04:56 PM

I never had any luck getting hospital inmates doing anything for me. ;)
I use patience to polish anything.

Paul T. Casey
07-01-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a Dremel. What would I be doing? ...besides polishing the insides to a perfect, gleaming shine! WTH is this "matching" business?

Yes, polish the inside to a perfect gleaming shine is part of it. The "matching business" is making the opening of the holes on your intake the same size and shape as the holes in the engine. Get some Blue Dyekem and paint the outside of where the intake attaches to the engine (the holes where your air/fuel mixture enter your heads). Press the intake down on the Dyekem, while it is wet, remove it, and you should be able to see where the "holes" are your heads outlined on the intake. Carefully polish away any obstructions to flow between the components. Only work on the lower intake, unless you have a certian way of keeping dust and debris from going into your engine. There probably won't be much to remove, but it is a little gain in flow for the engine.

Bulten Rauder
07-01-2009, 05:13 PM
That's awesome info. Is there any advantage to doing something like this to the TB?

Paul T. Casey
07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
That's awesome info. Is there any advantage to doing something like this to the TB?

I don't know. I have yet to do any TB mods. After you do the outside for appearance, shoot a thhin coat of Clear Coat on the outside. It'll help keep it shiney (like your wheels). If you have an understanding wife/mother/significant other, get some factory type clear coat, and bake it on in your oven at home.

Blackened300a
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Accufab makes a twin bore throttlebody thats already polished for our cars.
It compliments the polished upper intake.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/DSCN1347.jpg

Bulten Rauder
07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
That's sweet. I think I'll try to polish my OEM one...what's that polished twinbore worth?

Blackened300a
07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
That's sweet. I think I'll try to polish my OEM one...what's that polished twinbore worth?

HP wise? 1 rwhp peak and 5 rwhp accross the range. They go for about $345 last time I checked.

ImpalaSlayer
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
mine was ceramic coated then polished

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_0492.jpg

Bulten Rauder
07-02-2009, 07:11 AM
mine was ceramic coated then polished

Wow, did you do that yourself? How tough is it to get off? It's ben said theintake is easy to get off but there sure seems to be quite alot of plumbing around there. I'm just a rookie driveway mechanic...

Embassy
07-03-2009, 08:00 AM
As others have said, I'd have it polished or powdercoated. I prefer powdercoated for ease of maintenance and cleaning.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/688457/original/img_5026-(large).jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/710041/fullsize/img_5466-(large).jpg

fastblackmerc
07-03-2009, 08:25 AM
As others have said, I'd have it polished or powdercoated. I prefer powdercoated for ease of maintenance and cleaning.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/688457/original/img_5026-(large).jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/710041/fullsize/img_5466-(large).jpg

Did you smooth it out before powdercoating it?

ImpalaSlayer
07-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Wow, did you do that yourself? How tough is it to get off? It's ben said theintake is easy to get off but there sure seems to be quite alot of plumbing around there. I'm just a rookie driveway mechanic...

nah a local shop did it. intake is a piece of cake to take off, how ever you do have to 2 lines off that have coolant in them so youll have to service to coolant system afterwards.

Embassy
07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I believe it was smoothed down a bit before applying the coating. The surface is not 100% smooth but is not nearly as rough as an uncoated intake.