PDA

View Full Version : Time to install custom valve body

DJCV
07-02-2009, 10:05 AM
How much time (hours) should it to take for a competent shop mechanic to remove an OEM valve body and install a new one?

RF Overlord
07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Working real slow and careful, because I've only done it a few times, I could do it on my back in my driveway in 2 hours. A competent tech with a lift could do it in half that, or less.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a good DIY project. I havent specifically done an MM but I have replaced valve bodies in some FWD and RWD cars and none of them were difficult.

DJCV
07-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Is it basically removing all the fasteners, remove the valve body, then replace with the new unit? Is it basically that simple?

RF Overlord
07-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah, pretty much. There are a couple of linkages and electrical connectors that must be disconnected, and you need new gaskets for the separator plate, but those are basically details.

Oh yeah...there are a few little check balls that must be placed in the right holes in the new VB...again details...they really don't make it any more difficult to DO, but if you don't do them, you'll have problems.

jfclancy
07-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Just speaking as the brother of a mechanic, most shops charge book time not how long it actually takes. If you were considering having it done.

Joe Clancy :beer::argue::beer:

DJCV
07-05-2009, 06:01 AM
I see.
What's the book time---how many hours?

jfclancy
07-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Sorry for the confusion, my brother is the mechanic....
the book is http://www.brandsplace.com/0384-chn142041.html
did try to call him but no luck so far. Be advised there is usually 3 times posted for each job so your answer depends on what they have to do to fix it I guess.
did you try getting an estimate from AAMco?

RF Overlord
07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
did you try getting an estimate from AAMco?:eek:

I think Jiffy Lube learned their business practices from AAMCO... :rolleyes: