PDA

View Full Version : Grillin & Chillin Meet Feedback Thread

Quasar3210
07-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok, Now that we have some time to wind down and have a 5 minute breather in between work. I wanted to start a thread for those that attended the Elkhorn meet to ask for feedback. What worked? What didn't? what should be done differently next year?

Obviously, I will check the calender closer, I won't accidently book the park on Fathers Day next time thats for sure.

justbob
07-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Potato sack race naked with sombreros?

J/K, I think it went just fine except eating at 3ish causing an eat and run for some of us. Other than that it went perfect, I got to see some good friends and meet some more.

Thanks for putting this on Tom.

UncleLar
07-05-2009, 02:52 AM
I agree about how late we ate,(funny how justbob and I agree about eating),starting grilling a lot earlier next time will really help.Otherwise the whole meet was great.
You guys really did a nice job organizing and cooking and all! :beer::up:
BTW,did the #1 cheerleader start dancing on the table tops after I left? :cheer: :lol:

Quasar3210
07-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Yeah, I'm not really even sure how it wound up being that late. The original plan was to eat by 1:00-2:00 at the very latest. But next year we are gonna shoot for 1200. I think time got away from us just trying to make sure everything was going ok.

I also will be better with signage next time. I was running around alot and really didn't get to meet everyone as they got there, ended up being that people did not know where the drinks etc were.

Next years will be better yet.

NOMARQUIS
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I thought everything was wonderful. Earlier time for food would be good. Maybe next year we could have a burn out contest, and make the local PD stay longer and compete. You guys did a great job. I look forward to next year.

Eric

cvpiftw
07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Same... was a good meet.... but i think we needed to have the food sooner.... and we need to do more running around :p . Cruise after the meet.

xopher
07-10-2009, 09:59 AM
+1 on all of the above.

The process of copying and pasting lists of names to RSVP and multiple threads at multiple sites was confusing. A service like http://www.eventbrite.com/ (example: http://wdc2009.eventbrite.com/) would allow everyone to register, and we could even require a few dollars be thrown in to offset the cost of food, park reservation, etc., which I highly suspect was not accomplished this time.

The only other thing is that I didn't know who was who and who owned what car. What might be helpful is a cheap 8.5x11 piece of paper printed out and stapled to cardboard to sit near each car which identifies the owner by face and at least MM.net name, and if people want to share real names they can as well. Some people already have display boards, but if it doesn't tie to your MM.net name or your face, I wont necessarily know who you are.

Quasar3210
07-10-2009, 10:31 AM
+1 on all of the above.

The process of copying and pasting lists of names to RSVP and multiple threads at multiple sites was confusing. A service like http://www.eventbrite.com/ (example: http://wdc2009.eventbrite.com/) would allow everyone to register, and we could even require a few dollars be thrown in to offset the cost of food, park reservation, etc., which I highly suspect was not accomplished this time.

The only other thing is that I didn't know who was who and who owned what car. What might be helpful is a cheap 8.5x11 piece of paper printed out and stapled to cardboard to sit near each car which identifies the owner by face and at least MM.net name, and if people want to share real names they can as well. Some people already have display boards, but if it doesn't tie to your MM.net name or your face, I wont necessarily know who you are.

All very good suggestions.

I will take the blame for the multiple threads. I was pretty new to MM.net and wasn't sure how much cross reading in the club forums there were so I posted in both. I never saw the events forum up on top until it was way to late. Also on CVN we are only allowed 4 hours to edit posts, I assumed it was the same way here, didn't notice until about two months into the planning that I could edit endlessly, next years post will be much more organized. I had purchased name tags to try and help everyone know who is who but those sat on my counter at home underneath my fricking camera all day. I do also like the car sign idea especially when there are 4 black marauders parked in a row. I certainly had trouble keeping who was who straight. :lol:

I have never heard of the site you mentioned, Chris but I will check into it, it very well may help us to plan better. We did ok with covering funds, but we also purchased food for about 15 maybe attendees that did not make it, so if everyone was there we would have been totally covered.

Also does anyone have any ideas on keeping better track of guest attendance? I most definitely want people to bring family and friends. but need to come up with a better way to count them so we can get a accurate food count.

UncleLar
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I hope everyone kicked in enough to cover the cost of food and drinks this year.
Did you at least break even for that stuff Quasar?
Might I suggest a $10 donation for the next one to cover food and soft drinks and if anybody wants barley pop (adult beverages) they bring their own or make arrangements with other like minded individuals before hand or at the meet to decide how they'll split the costs for whatever beer they decide on getting.
As for identifying cars and owners,name tags to wear sounds like a good idea and how about a sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 inside the car on the dash with the owners picture,screen name and up to the individual,their real name and any contact info they feel like letting everyone see?
BTW,I was the tall "distinguished looking" guy with the grey beard,camo Ford cap,black Windy City Marauders t shirt and the pretty Marauder.
(okay,before I get flamed too bad,the pretty DTR Marauder),lol.

Quasar3210
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
No, we did not break even. But thats ok, we had 10-15 cars that could not make it so we had lots of leftover food. If everyone would have made it we would have broken even for sure. I have signed up for eventbrite and will use that next year.

justbob
07-11-2009, 09:47 AM
That sucks about the ones that couldn't make it and you getting stiffed! I know I paid for a couple no-shows.

I think it is a GREAT idea about the eventbrite! Either you kick in or you screw off, I mean really where are you going go and hang out all day with good friends under a roof, with tables, and food thats even cooked for you for ten bucks? Kick in some extra and sleep good knowing you didn't screw someone that tried to organize a good event. Quit commiting to something and not showing unless its a REAL emergency, or your dead, this is how get togethers die out and people move on.

Quasar3210
07-11-2009, 03:06 PM
That sucks about the ones that couldn't make it and you getting stiffed! I know I paid for a couple no-shows.

I think it is a GREAT idea about the eventbrite! Either you kick in or you screw off, I mean really where are you going go and hang out all day with good friends under a roof, with tables, and food thats even cooked for you for ten bucks? Kick in some extra and sleep good knowing you didn't screw someone that tried to organize a good event. Quit commiting to something and not showing unless its a REAL emergency, or your dead, this is how get togethers die out and people move on.

Well, I can guarantee you guys two things... There WILL be a 2010 Meet in Elkhorn, and it will be even better than this year. I have registered for Eventbrite and will use it for next year. I know the Fathers day thing killed it for a couple attendees, even though it worked ok for most.

Bob, I appreciate the donation greatly and I have a hunch a few others may have thrown in extra also. If things go as I'd like them to next year. There will be no one paying more than others. It will be a flat fee, just gotta sit down and figure everything out.

UncleLar
07-11-2009, 03:19 PM
"Bob, I appreciate the donation greatly and I have a hunch a few others may have thrown in extra also. If things go as I'd like them to next year. There will be no one paying more than others. It will be a flat fee, just gotta sit down and figure everything out."
Did I kick in enough to help out Tom? I told you if you needed more to let me know,that still goes.

Quasar3210
07-11-2009, 03:24 PM
No, we are good Larry and I hope what I said above didn't sound as if I thought people did not pay enough because that was not my intention and apologize if it came out wrong. Had everyone who signed up, shown up we would have broken even guaranteed, and actually been over. We were only 70 bucks short and 10-15 cars never made it. So a huge thank you goes out to those who did attend.