PDA

View Full Version : Tranny trouble

tjl006
07-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Last night the tailshaft seal popped out from the tailshaft housing, the seal can move free foward and back on the slip yoke. The underside of the car was coated with tranny fluid. After making a full stop I would hit the gas the motor would rev but the car would not move until about 1500-2000 rpms. I have an aftermarket 4in aluminum driveshaft and a tailshaft with the forced lube mod. Why would the seal pop out? and how much damage did I do to m transmission? Thanks guys

Richy04
07-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I thought this was another type of tranny thread, I was gonna tell you to look for the adams apple... :-p

Anyway, the likelyhood of tranny damage is related to how long you ran it low or out of fluid. Hopefully a top off will restore the trans to normal operation. The seal may need simple replacement or maybe the drive shaft/yoke is a wee bit too long and mashing the seal.

FordNut
07-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Last night the tailshaft seal popped out from the tailshaft housing, the seal can move free foward and back on the slip yoke. The underside of the car was coated with tranny fluid. After making a full stop I would hit the gas the motor would rev but the car would not move until about 1500-2000 rpms. I have an aftermarket 4in aluminum driveshaft and a tailshaft with the forced lube mod. Why would the seal pop out? and how much damage did I do to m transmission? Thanks guys

What kind of driveshaft? Normally this happens on high speed runs or 4.10 gears with the stock driveshaft, but if the aftermarket shaft is not as precisely balanced as the Dynotech MMC Aluminum Metal Matrix shaft that could cause it. The trans will probably be ok when you put fluid back in it. The tailhousing may be shot.

RF Overlord
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
^^^what FordNut said^^^

This has happened to others who run 4.10s at high speed without a properly balanced D/S. I have not heard of it actually damaging the tailshaft other than the bushing and seal, so hopefully you'll be good.