PDA

View Full Version : Vortech V2 T-Trim Air2Air. INSTALLED and dynoed

FormulaMarauder
07-11-2009, 11:37 PM
First of all, I just realized that this forum does not have a "Power Adder" category. FAIL. I say a good 30% of members here have a power adder, and the topic will generate a ton of hits. No need to mush it with basic general chat.

Secondly, those of you that are about to say that I should have gone the route of Trilogy roots,-save it. :blah: I've dealt with roots blowers most my life, playing with Lightnings and MP90's, and MP112's on Grand Prixs. That being said, I also dealt with ATI Procharger D1SC and P1SC equipped cars such as my 11 second Firebird Formula. I have no preference, it just needs to be done RIGHT. I've driven Trilogy cars.The kits are different, and they all have their pros and cons.

As some of you may recall, I was, and still am, a big advocate for the NA 12's second Marauder. I pulled a 13.6 with bald tires, basic bolt ons, and bald friggin tires. With some further tuning and a few more complementary mods, I think it can be done. My quest for a power adder was always in the works, just not in any particular rush. I applaud those of you still trying so Glenn could shut the :censor: up. :D

Here I am one day looking for a spare set of rims to widen and I spot Blackmobiles classified ad. "Polished Vortech V2 T-Trim A2A" with all the bells and whistles....and then some. Price was RIGHT. I had to jump as there were PM's already shooting over to him. Email, phone call, check in the mail. Done.

I get the blower in three or four boxes, very well packaged and neatly organized. After two weeks of looking at it, I decide to take a breath and put the sucker on with a good friend of mine. Let me tell you something about this kit. A blind monkey can do it. Without sounding like a commercial, I'd say, "It's so easy, a caveman can do it." No cutting, no grinding, no welding, no drilling, NOTHING. A bolt on as easy as bolt ons can be. I've had harder times removing valve covers on my dads Excursion.

I did call Ed (Blackmobile) about 10 times in a few days with some relatively simple questions that after he answered them I felt like a complete ass. Common sense stuff that if I just did a little more looking, I would have figured it out myself. A big thank you for fielding those questions.

One thing that sort of erked me was that the directions were for a Mach1 or Cobra engine. Yeah I know, Mach1 engine. But I didnt need to remove a non existant shaker scoop or some other issues like brackets and spacers etc... This blower is for a Marauder? Send me instructions for a Marauder. No matter really, only thing I really needed it for was to see where to tap the pan. Didn't really look at it much after that. Big suggestion though to Reinhart and whomever else sells this kit.

This kit is super well designed. SUPER. Now that I have it on, I could probably take it off in three hours and put it back on in the same amount of time. What I really like about this A2A was that there were only THREE pipes for the blower track, and they fit PERFECTLY. No manipulating, no cutting or removing of bumper, liner, or supports. That intercooler fit so damn snug in there it's as if Mercury had it planned for it all along. I've seen many Centrifigul blowers being route with up to SEVEN air pipes. This naturally leads to crappy fitment issues, leakage, and coupler blow-out. Plus, it looks like complete ass.

Those of you who are scared of tapping the pan for a return line I say to you this. GET OVER IT. If John Force can have 4 returns on one pan pushing 8,000hp, I think your return is fine. Basically, tap, tap, tap. Widen, widen, widen. Screw, screw, screw. DONE. I have yet to hear a "horror" story of these going bad or some kind of devastation leading to it as a result of a failure.

In this kit, I got a GT500 fuel pump, provided by Blackmobile as an upgrade to the kit. No doubt I will see my needle going south as I drive. With the kit came a Kenny Bell Boost-A-Pump. No doubt need that. So after jacking the car up and changing the pump, (1/2 hour tops) I fill the coolant, change the oil, call the Vatican, then fire her up. Car fires right up and I hear that she is now whistling to me. :P I get her up to temp, put more coolant in, then shut her down. Had a nasty coolant leak by the aluminum risers provided with the kit, that's only because the stock O-rings were shot. No biggie, $1.17 and two O-rings later, all fixed up. Shut her off then have it towed to J and M Motorsports for a dyno tune. www.jandmmotorsports.com (http://www.jandmmotorsports.com)
They deal with tons of Mach's, Cobras, Shelbys, you name it. I trust my car with noone else. They eat and sleep modular Fords and will not give you the car back until they are happy with it.

I get a phone call Wednesday. "Hey that Generation I Kenny Belle Boost a Pump you have installed here is completely dead, you are fine at idle with the pump giving what it has, but under boost it drops to zero fuel pressure." Great, now I have to spend another $300 getting a new one overnighted to them. Fantastic. I call ED (Blackmobille) with the news that he sent me a dead boost a pump with anticipation he would make it right considering I just sent him over $4k, and I get "Well, it was fine when I sent it." A Boost a Pump doesnt die in the mail. I have no time to argue. I don't get an offer to make it right by buying a new one, a used one, pay to overnight one to J&M....NOTHING. You sell something to someone and it doesn't work, you replace it, fix it, or make it right..PERIOD.

To make things easier for them (and cheaper for me), I call up Dennis Reinhart and ask if he still has the tune saved from Ed's car, since this was his blower, and since he tuned it. I get a call five minutes later and he shoots the tune right over to J&M via email. This is HUGE. The boys at J&M got it and are very appreciative, although they did tweak it a bit. The tune had all the info they needed for a baseline, then they changed a few things to compliment my car like the 4.10's I have in there, and the race gas tune I requested. Apparently, Dennis and The J&M staff made at least 8 calls back and forth to each other to get it completely right, and that was fine by me.

Friday rolls by and I get another phone call. "Hey Paul, with the 9psi pulley on it we got 445rwhp on a very safe tune. We want to change the shift points on it and play with it a bit more. It will be ready Monday." :burnout:
Now, seeing that it is early Sunday morning as I type this, I get my car back tomorrow, so I have no report on the driveability. If it's anything like my past centifigul cars, then I will be delighted. I expect nothing less. I'll post my full report when I drain the gas from driving it all day. :D

So in a nutshell, here is my report at this time....

Vortech has great kits..period. Others here seem to be preferred, like I said, I don't care. I just want it to be done right. This is my car, that is your car. And yes, I've driven Trilogy equipped MM's from local members. My experience with J&M has always been positive. They are, and will continue to be my premier tuner and modders.

Dennis Reinhart gave me his personal cell number after our first conversation, and although didnt sell me the kit or make a penny from me bugging him endlessly, he dodged every question and query from me and the crew at J&M without batting an eye. I never dealt with him before, but he did impress me with customer service, that in my opinion, was fantastic.

Gimme a day or two to come back with my full report. Hope you enjoyed the above novel, I'll update this when I get the car back.

Regards.

Fourth Horseman
07-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Congrats! I agree with you on the clean design of the piping. Everybody who looks at my V3 air-air kit comments on how good it looks.

Glenn
07-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Nice write-up on your new SC install. More people should report their good service from Dennis Reinhart. He tries very hard to suppport our MMs, does a good job and is very knowledgeable.

So your SCed now and joined the "Big Dogs" - hopefully you can come to SSHS9 and run your MM. I'll be the olde man in a 4 door black sedan.

Glenn Ford :burnout:

ImpalaSlayer
07-12-2009, 08:29 AM
yeah he did wonders for me :rolleyes:

Kelly
07-12-2009, 09:04 AM
ya! Dennis has been great to deal with over the many years and calls. Kelly

babbage
07-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice write up. I'd like to see some pictures. I too think Reinhart is a great vendor who will go out of his way to help. (So will BlueOvalChips and BC-Automotive BTW)

Can't wait to hear first impressions of your setup (From a Guy who's driven a Trilogy setup)

It sounds like the install for a Vortec is a lot easier than the Trilogy!?

babbage
07-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Congrats! I agree with you on the clean design of the piping. Everybody who looks at my V3 air-air kit comments on how good it looks.

Ahem, pics please?

bob6364
07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I find it interesting that someone posting his newly boosted Marauder has to defend his decision in the very first paragraph....I say better living thru Boost.

greggash
07-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I guess they went with the 3.6 pulley

After the engine build you can use the 3.3 pulley for 12PSI

Forget your old time slips from the track, your car will now run 12.3 to 12.6 easy

Enjoy the new power, be carefull backing off the gas

Fourth Horseman
07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Ahem, pics please?

I don't want to hijack his thread by filling it up with a bunch of my pics, so I'll just post links to a few of mine:
http://www.fourthhorseman.net/horsemans_marauder/Images/40.jpg
http://www.fourthhorseman.net/horsemans_marauder/Images/41.jpg
http://www.fourthhorseman.net/horsemans_marauder/Images/42.jpg

hot-rauder
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
my V1 T trim is stil for sale for anyone who wants the power Paul got...

Great write up, I do agree with you, if a seller gives you a bad part, they should make good on it. Hope to see you at NED sometime...

magindat
07-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Excellent write up. I'm sorry to see Ed give up his blower. He loved it. We worked hard installing it! Those pipes ARE nice! Steve and Reinhart's shapes them.

He IS a good guy. His car was wrecked, not motor grenaded. It was on an Al Papito custom built forged motor. The STOCK motor grenaded.

Not to get in the middle, but I personally saw that blower and BAP working!

In any event, I'm glad the kit lives on and congrats with your new found horsepower!

:beer:

FormulaMarauder
07-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I find it interesting that someone posting his newly boosted Marauder has to defend his decision in the very first paragraph....I say better living thru Boost.

sad isn't it? I feel it was necessary or else I would endure the "you should have gotten a _______"

babbage
07-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't want to hijack his thread by filling it up with a bunch of my pics, so I'll just post links to a few of mine:
http://www.fourthhorseman.net/horsemans_marauder/Images/40.jpg
http://www.fourthhorseman.net/horsemans_marauder/Images/41.jpg
http://www.fourthhorseman.net/horsemans_marauder/Images/42.jpg

Yes that is nice and neat. Thanks for posting..

:bows: to your whole setup. Wilwood etc...

-Matt-
07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
:bows: to your whole setup. Wilwood etc...

X2 .... shes sweet!

offroadkarter
07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
sad isn't it? I feel it was necessary or else I would endure the "you should have gotten a _______"

You shoulda got a very long underscore instead of a vortech.....

:D

Peace2Peep
07-12-2009, 03:37 PM
That is one clean and purty engine compartment!

gmtech
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Nice write-up, definitely should have gotten a _ril__y:D. J/K have fun with the new power!!

Marauder131
07-12-2009, 06:51 PM

You beat me to it.

FormulaMarauder
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Since I'm bored, and I'm downlaoding a bunch of songs, I'll write up a quick install on this kit. I got about a dozen PM's from some members, so i'll share the process with you all.

Oil return needs a route due to the fact that the blower is fed by the same oil used by the engine. This requires the pan being tapped, not drilled. The instructions are pretty explicit in regards to location. Hit the pan about a dozen times with a punch, then larger pucnch. Then, widen it a bit to get the grease packed tap in there to cut some threads. Clean up the area a bit, Easy. Put the supplied brass fitting in and loosely place the elbow return line and hose in place. Next, the sending unit portion needs to be replaced with a supplied brass fitting to provide flow.

Next I took off the JLT and removed the upper intake, which as most of you know, is simple. EGR, couple of vacuum lines, TB cable bracket all off in about ten minutes. Upper intake manifold bolts come right up and so does the whole intake. Fuel injector rail pops right off, some with injectors, some without. A little coaxing with a flathead popped the remainders out. A pick pulled those pesky O-rings that stayed in place. Replaced the injectors with the new ones, reversed order, put it all back together. Next I pulled the cover valleys and replaced all the plugs with NGKTR6ix gapped at .034

Manifold and all bolts back on. Time to take out the fan. Fan removal is easy, unplug harness and a few clips and bolts, comes right out. I decide to drop in the air exhanger while I'm in the vicinity and bolt it right up to existing bolt holes. They provided billett brackets that are already bent and make install for this thing dummy proof. 10 minutes, tops. Replace the fan with existing bolt holes. The coolant reservoir and power steering reservoir needed to be relocated, so that's exactly what I did. The PS had enough slack to move it a few inches back to just by the strut tower where a bolt is protruding. Slide it in, top it with a locking nut, done. As far as the coolant reservoir went, I had to move it back towards center passenger side strut tower. Had to run and get an extra foot of hose, but all went on without a hitch.

Next I removed the crossover for the coolant line by the alternator and popped up the two vertical coolant feeds. I had to put in two supplied billett risers with new O-rings. The lower stock O-rings were shot, and I found this out by having it piss like a whore in church. Two O-rings later, all is good. The alternator needs to be raised about three inches or so, so income these four nifty supplied risers with longer bolts. One of the plastic pulleys on the pass side of the block needs to be replaced, nice and easy. Water pump pulley replaced, nice and easy. Next the blower itself goes on. Again, comes these clever brackets with elongated bolts that makes install a breeze. Routed the belt on, and all is good.

Next I threw on the cross over massive 4" power pipe and two pipes to the air exchanger. The supplied couplers made install super simple. The 4" pipe clamped onto the K&N which was now hiding under a black powdercoated metal enclosure which screws into the front, above the headlight assembly. The new MAF is in the elbow right by the throttle body, so I plugged in the Diablo MafIa into the existing harness, then routed it to the elbow.

Next I changed the fuel filter to a larger one that was supplied and bit my lip trying to convince myself to get under the car and change the fuel pump to the supplied GT500 unit. Surprisingly, if you jack the car high enough, the whole sending unit and all comes right out with a little convincing. Changed the pump and put it back together.

After a good stretch, I checked everything, all hoses and clamps, filled all fluids. And made sure I didnt forget any tools on the cowl, like I always do. First turn of the key, she fires up and is whistling at me. :D

There you have it, the complete install. I'm sure there were some odds and ends I didn't add, but you get the jist of it. Super simple and easy. Anyone with general automotive knowledge should have no problem installing this thing in a weekend. I'll have the car back on Monday from the tuner hopefully, then give my full driveability report.

Vortech347
07-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Thats the funniest f'n install post I've ever seen and completely agree with it. I've installed Vortech's on so many cars I can do it in my sleep, not to mention doing the pan is EASY.

Sounds like it'll run great.

After riding in Scotts (forthhorseman's) MM I can say the Vortech works great in a properly geared MM. That thing is damn fast.

DOOM
07-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Glad you got the blower.
I personally dont care which blower you go with (trilogy, vortec or procharger) as long as you're happy with the end result. :up:
Now get out there and kill some hemi's :gunfire:

babbage
07-13-2009, 05:15 AM
"piss like a whore in church" ?? :D

Theres an analogy I've not heard before. Nice writeup. Definitely makes it sound easy(er)

Now you have THE POWER!

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/shg_graphics/cartoon/SHG_HeManPower.gif

John F. Russo
07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Formula Marauder

I have a Kenny Brown with a Vortech.

From a dead start my boost goes up to 7 psig.

Yet if I go WOT at about 50 mph, the boost will be only be 3 psig. Why?

I have been told the psig would not change if I use an Eaton design type supercharger. Is this correct?

¬¬¬¬¬2003 Dark Blue Pearl 300B (Canadian) w/Light Flint (reversed traction control, mini spare, trunked 6 disc CD changer, clock-in-the-radio, heated front seats/mirrors, hood light), Born 12/10/02; converted new then used 2/28/03; 81,000 miles
ENGINE: Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion, Vortech supercharger (5 to 7 psig boost; 3.48 pulley), 400 RWHP/377 RWTQ, 8.8lbs/BHP; Dennis Reinhart Cobra engine cooling kit, NGKTR-6 (iridium) spark plugs TRANSMISSION: Stock transmission upgraded with Performance Automatic "Super Streeter" transmission version, stub shaft (defective metal) failed at 30k miles; upgraded internals (except for torque converter) to Reinhart's design; Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3, later upgraded to 3500 rpm stall speed); Ford Racing transmission aluminum pan SUSPENSION: Metco control arms (black powdered coated), coil from each front stock spring removed to produce the “same” effect as an Eibach spring DRIVETRAIN 4.10 gears, MMX Driveshaft, Ford Racing Stud and Girdle BRAKES:14 in. KVR brakes (two piston, slotted rotors), TIRES: Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18, rear widened rims with Hankook 295/45ZR18), ACCESSORIES: Wheel locks (Ford), godshead valve stem caps, KB Dead pedal, Badgeless front grille by “Zack”; Zaino waxing; RainX; 3M protective film, FordChip, Ground clearance: 5 in. MISCELLANEOUS 18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph, one tank of gas
______________________________ ___________________________
(Gone) 1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel

FormulaMarauder
07-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Formula Marauder

I have a Kenny Brown with a Vortech.

From a dead start my boost goes up to 7 psig.

Yet if I go WOT at about 50 mph, the boost will be only be 3 psig. Why?

I have been told the psig would not change if I use an Eaton design type supercharger. Is this correct?

Your boost should climb as your rpm do, and should be pegged at WOT. Any turbo or supercharger no matter what the brand operate in this fashion. You need to get yours checked out.

Raudermaster
07-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Congrats on the new found power. Funny, I got 445rwhp withOUT and I/C....and my tune was still safe.

FormulaMarauder
07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Congrats on the new found power. Funny, I got 445rwhp withOUT and I/C....and my tune was still safe.

I had them tune it down, the numbers were up to 524hp.

dohc324ci
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Nice write up. Let us know the numbers your putting down, as I am interested in this very same setup. Being that Vortech is the only on I can get the EO sticker for living in CA. Also, is this Reinhart's Kit?

FormulaMarauder
07-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Nice write up. Let us know the numbers your putting down, as I am interested in this very same setup. Being that Vortech is the only on I can get the EO sticker for living in CA. Also, is this Reinhart's Kit?

The horsepower has 445rwhp, not sure of the torque. I'll get the printout on Tuesday. Yes, it's Reinharts kit.

dohc324ci
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Are you running that with 91 or 93 octane fuel? Just curious becuase I can only get 91 out here in CA. How many hours did it take to do the whole install? I may get ambitious and do the install my self (maybe).

FormulaMarauder
07-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Start on Friday afternoon, take your time and get it right. You WILL have it done by Sunday evening. That is literally if you have one hand tied behind your back.

With any high performance car, especially blown, you want to use a high octane to prevent detonation, particularly under boost. I always put 93 and 94 octane in my car.

Blackmobile
07-13-2009, 11:28 PM
I get a phone call Wednesday. "Hey that Generation I Kenny Belle Boost a Pump you have installed here is completely dead, you are fine at idle with the pump giving what it has, but under boost it drops to zero fuel pressure." Great, now I have to spend another $300 getting a new one overnighted to them. Fantastic. I call ED (Blackmobille) with the news that he sent me a dead boost a pump with anticipation he would make it right considering I just sent him over $4k, and I get "Well, it was fine when I sent it." A Boost a Pump doesnt die in the mail. I have no time to argue. I don't get an offer to make it right by buying a new one, a used one, pay to overnight one to J&M....NOTHING. You sell something to someone and it doesn't work, you replace it, fix it, or make it right..PERIOD.

Just got home from a trip but I have to answer this before I hit the hey.
Paul, I'm glad you got the kit installed and I hope the HP that it provides fits your needs. But for the Boost-A-Pump, You called me and explained how the unit was dead, But you failed to mention that I replied, I could find a replacement for it if given some time, but you wanted one THAT day, and then informed me that you ordered a new one. I could have had one on it's way to you the next day, but after you ordered it what would be the point? This could have been straightened out in a PM or over the phone, but as far as I can see this is water under the bridge.
So enjoy your new power and go find some SRT8's or Vette's and give them a lesson on how to spell MARAUDER by viewing your rear bumper.

Ed

Dennis Reinhart
07-14-2009, 04:07 AM

Try and have a good day

ImpalaSlayer
07-14-2009, 01:35 PM
You did wonders for your self.

:drink: LOL!!! :rofl:

Glenn
07-14-2009, 01:49 PM
So IS - how is the new Natzy IT - you listed above in your post. I haven't heard much recently from anyone about it?

Glenn :burnout:

ImpalaSlayer
07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
So IS - how is the new Natzy IT - you listed above in your post. I haven't heard much recently from anyone about it?

better then the wrong/missing parts that were in my vortech kit. :laugh:

ImpalaSlayer
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
for the sake of the OP's thread i refuse to respond to anymore of this FAIL.

Glenn
07-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Easy now! http://www.modularfords.com/forums/images/smilies/blowup.gif Just curious how your Natzy IT was doing.

CBT
07-14-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/images/smilies/blowup.gif

That is the coolest smiley I have ever seen, lol!

Dennis Reinhart
07-15-2009, 03:53 AM
better then the wrong/missing parts that were in my vortech kit. :laugh:

Please give it a rest,

ImpalaSlayer
07-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Please give it a rest, how many S/C did you buy and then returned only to spend money on a Natzy Intake.

You bought PapaJohns and then returned it saying you didn't have any money only to spend large sums on other parts.

damn Dennis, this post is about as par for the course as it gets. if only you knew half the story.

Rocknthehawk
07-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Please give it a rest, how many S/C did you buy and then returned only to spend money on a Natzy Intake.

You bought PapaJohns and then returned it saying you didn't have any money only to spend large sums on other parts.

Uh....i remember hearing similar issues from Jarod.....

anyways, on topic, Formula, how's the car drive???

wanna race? :D

FormulaMarauder
07-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Can both of you plese edit your comments and cut the crap on my thread. Yeah, thanks.

ImpalaSlayer
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
i will appolgize just as i did in the pm i sent you. im sorry to foul up your thread.

back to topic:

how is the car drving with the blower?

Glenn
07-15-2009, 02:55 PM
for the sake of the OP's thread i refuse to respond to anymore of this FAIL.

Sorry FM, but I just could not resist.

IS is this what you meant by FAIL ----------------

Glenn

http://www.forwardedtome.com/images/ftm_fail.jpg

Marauderman
07-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry FM, but I just could not resist.

IS is this what you meant by FAIL ----------------

Glenn

http://www.forwardedtome.com/images/ftm_fail.jpg

In the words of that famous Announcer---Just Missed!!!!!!!!!

Raudermaster
07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I had them tune it down, the numbers were up to 524hp.

Ahh excellent, eh run it! If you blow the motor that's an excuse to get something better built and crank the boost up more. :D

Raudermaster
07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Uh....i remember hearing similar issues from Jarod.....

No comment!!!!! :duel::run:

FormulaMarauder
07-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Ahh excellent, eh run it! If you blow the motor that's an excuse to get something better built and crank the boost up more. :D

I'm already looking into a forged block so I can push the numbers past 600hp :D

hot-rauder
07-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm already looking into a forged block so I can push the numbers past 600hp :D

Now that I see your install, and with a V1 t trim sitting in the garage....

Are you free any weekend? :D

How much did you pay in extra costs for the install if you dont mind me asking.... PMs are welcome if you dont want to make it public.

Adam

Rocknthehawk
07-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Formula, if you can lend a hand in installing the mach1 t trim....I'll make you dinner, and make your they're stocked in your favorite brew.

FormulaMarauder
07-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Gess, all of a sudden I'm an expert. :D No problem, let me get myschedule straightened out, I'll be more than happy to help.

Raudermaster
07-19-2009, 12:16 AM
So, I'm not good enough to install it now? Before, you came running to me, now it's "F Jarod because someone else did it.":down:

bob6364
07-19-2009, 04:29 PM
So, I'm not good enough to install it now? Before, you came running to me, now it's "F Jarod because someone else did it.":down:

Its your avatar I think....:D

Raudermaster
07-19-2009, 05:54 PM
There is no other avatar on this planet that is better.

SMOKE
07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Shot today...no, he didn't get a chance to clean things up....that is still in the works!

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/CCC_ELM_FOMOCO_071909_003_600x 400_.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/CCC_ELM_FOMOCO_071909_004_600x 400_.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/CCC_ELM_FOMOCO_071909_005_600x 400_.jpg

Best,
Jonathan

FormulaMarauder
07-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks Jon! :beer:

Glenn
07-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Smoke:

Can you please take a close up shoot of your intercoller reservoir. How did you specifically mounted it on the inner fender well. What hose did you use to hook it to the intercooler?

Thanks,

Glenn:burnout:

FormulaMarauder
07-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Smoke:

Can you please take a close up shoot of your intercoller reservoir. How did you specifically mounted it on the inner fender well. What hose did you use to hook it to the intercooler?

Thanks,

Glenn:burnout:

Glenn,
That's my car, not Jon's. (Smoke) My unit is a Air to Air, what you are seeing is the relocated coolant overflow.

Fourth Horseman
07-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Did you rework your PCV system at all? It looks like you've still got it connected as stock, at least on the passenger side. I can't see the driver's side clearly.

petdoc
07-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Hey, don't mean to hijack this post, but after reading FormulaMarauders installation description and tips, I felt a need to offer some of my own...
First off, I learned I am not quite as smart as a blind monkey...:) I'm not a professional mechanic, and this was my first excursion into a modern engine. I am fairly capable with mechanical work on old mustangs, but have always been anxious about newer cars, other than oil changes and the like.
I did learn a few things along the way with my Vortech self-installation that maybe I could share in the hopes other guys don't make the same mistakes I did.
Mistake number one was saying "No" to Dennis Reinhart when he offered to install and tune the Vortech for a grand total of 500 bucks. I did not even buy the system from him. I purchased ImpalaSlayer's Vortech this past winter, about three weeks after purchase of my first Marauder. (2003, 44k miles, minor collision, great driver) and already wanted to go faster. I did little research but knew my budget was not going to allow for a 6000 dollar Trilogy, so I went with it.
The only part missing was the belt. ImpalaSlayer was a stand-up guy, came through with the purchase without a problem. All of the parts he sent worked perfectly. He had purchased the system from Reinhart, though I never really delved into the reasons for his disatisfaction. I contacted Dennis when I was visiting my sister. He gave me a spare belt, and the tensioner tool, and a stock tune for my car pending my SC installation. All I did was purchase a tuner and belt from him. To say he has since bent over backward to help would be an understatement. I purchased the kit about the time all the hulabaloo was going down on the site about DR, and was anxious about what I was getting myself into. But, he has treated me better than just fine, has been available for all sorts of phone calls, including some ridiculously simple ones; ("Uh, Dennis? This is Eric again. Can you tell me where the EGR is, and what it looks like?") I'll bet I called him 20-25 times to help me with the install, and he always came through without making me feel like an idiot, and never asked for a dime in compensation. Onto mistake #2...
Do not re-engineer any part of the system, no matter how smart you think you may be. It's okay if the new fan shroud doesn't look correct. You do not need to cut the pre-fab bracket to make it look the way you want it too. It will just cause more work for you later. Just put it in as described and go to the next step.
#3: Do not use power tools if you aren't careful. It can be akin to a monkey with a straight razor. Even a Crafstman cordless drill is powerful enough to break bolts. Yes folks, that's right. hooked my trusty drill up to one of the fuel injector rail studs, forgot to check if it was in the lefty-loosey position, and one pull of the trigger and about a 1/10th of a second later, I snapped that thing right off. Getting a broken steel stud out of a soft aluminum manifold is not easy, and will not speed things along for you. Additionally, power tools can very easily strip the threads of an aluminum hole with those steel bolts too.
#4 Follow the directions to the letter. Do not skip any steps. Interestingly, it is impossible to put the timing cover bolts in place once you have mounted the rest of the system and installed the belt. Make sure you have all of them placed, inlcuding the hex-head bolt before progressing to the next step.
#5 Go out and buy the two O-rings for the cross-over tube before you even start, unless of course you have a great parts supplier like FM does. Otherwise, you will not be able to drive your car for a while. That means if you start friday, order the parts from Napa friday afternoon, go to pick them up saturday morning to find they aren't the right size, then wait til the Mercury dealership opens on monday, who will not have them in stock and you'll need to wait until tuesday to get them. That's how it worked for me. Maybe others have had better luck.
#6 When installing the new air box, don't sit and look at it for an hour trying to figure out how it goes. Just remove the plastic shroud in front if the radiator and you'll be able to do it quickly once it is out of the way.
I was fortunate to have a V3 (self lubricating) and did not have to drill an oil bypass. I shudder to think about what problems could have ensued with that one! I will say I share FM's frustration that the instructions are not MM-specific. If you opt to install one of these yourself, make sure to look at the pictures of the "Novi Air to Air Install" thread. Though the descriptions weren't quite enough for me, there is a lot of detail in the pictures to help. There is also a great thread in the archives about installing the GT fuel pump.
Anyway, the stock tune upgrade Dennis gave me really sparked some life into my stock MM. But, it's nothing compared to adding this sc. It's like driving a different car. It still needs some fine tuning, Dennis emailed the Vortech tune, and even I was able to install it....:) I absolutely love this car-without a doubt one of the funnest I've owned.

ImpalaSlayer
07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
good to see you got it up and running Eric :up:

hot-rauder
08-01-2009, 09:50 PM

Not exactly. It's never been, "F Jarod..." It is simply that Paul has installed his T-Trim and tapped his oil pan and did the self install. I wanted some help with it, and he told me no problem. Jarod, I asked you to help at first, but after the last coversation of ours, I don't know if you would even want to help me. I'm sure you could have helped plenty, and I would have loved the help.

FormulaMarauder
08-02-2009, 02:10 AM
let me get my schedule together, i'll let you know asap.

hot-rauder
08-02-2009, 11:38 AM
let me get my schedule together, i'll let you know asap.

no problem... we have waited awhile to even do this. lol

ImpalaSlayer
08-02-2009, 01:11 PM
thought you were selling it Adam?

hot-rauder
08-02-2009, 06:32 PM
not enough interest.... even at 2700 shipped to the 48.

we really would like to have the money for the house, but if no one wants it, might as well install it.

ImpalaSlayer
08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
nice.........

Raudermaster
08-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Not exactly. It's never been, "F Jarod..." It is simply that Paul has installed his T-Trim and tapped his oil pan and did the self install. I wanted some help with it, and he told me no problem. Jarod, I asked you to help at first, but after the last coversation of ours, I don't know if you would even want to help me. I'm sure you could have helped plenty, and I would have loved the help.

I said before I didn't like just being the guy you'd call to get some quick info, it seemed like all you'd do would call/text me whenever you needed something, or to find something out. Never would it be to hang out or do something. And I said before I'd be happy to help you. I was just at my friends shop and we put two JT trims on a GT with a DOHC motor and a 5.0 fox.