PDA

View Full Version : stall not too big??

mgmsleeper
07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
from my knowledge in putting together recent cars ive owned ...(which were chevys) 400+ hp. ive seen a few of them get too big a stall then u get all noise and no movement. BUT a fellow MM driver told me that a MGM with 4:10s could run better on a 35k stall vs a 28-31. can anybody fill me in on pros n cons?

CBT
07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
from my knowledge in putting together recent cars ive owned ...(which were chevys) 400+ hp. ive seen a few of them get too big a stall then u get all noise and no movement. BUT a fellow MM driver told me that a MGM with 4:10s could run better on a 35k stall vs a 28-31. can anybody fill me in on pros n cons?

You need to ask the cons of running a 35 thousand rpm stall converter?!?

cassidy
07-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I put a 3000 stall in my Marauder. It was all noise (revving the engine) and no motion (acceleration/power/torque) and then I went to a lower stall torque converter. This is with 4.10 rear axles. The lower stall made little difference (like 2600 rpm).

I am still stumped. What did I do wrong? The original torque converter seemed to work fine and I thought I was gaining performance by switching TWICE.

It is a lot like revving the engine in neutral...the drivetrain feels like it is disconnected from the engine getting louder and louder until second gear and then there is some action.

Cassidy

Blackened300a
07-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I put a 3000 stall in my Marauder. It was all noise (revving the engine) and no motion (acceleration/power/torque) and then I went to a lower stall torque converter. This is with 4.10 rear axles. The lower stall made little difference (like 2600 rpm).

I am still stumped. What did I do wrong? The original torque converter seemed to work fine and I thought I was gaining performance by switching TWICE.

It is a lot like revving the engine in neutral...the drivetrain feels like it is disconnected from the engine getting louder and louder until second gear and then there is some action.

Cassidy

Something is wrong. With my 3K stall and 4.10s, I can take my foot off the brake and the car would roll forward with only a 750 (in drive) RPM idle. I also drive with light pressure and I never had the engine rev up and then catch. I think something was faulty in your convertor.

ctrlraven
07-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I've got a 3500 stall with 3.55 gears (for the moment, 4.10s waiting to be installed) and it's great. With 4.10 gears a 3000 or 3500 stall converter will work just fine as long as the tune has been adjusted for it.

cassidy
07-13-2009, 10:38 AM
The only time you get any power is into second gear...the whole of first gear is just a whiney noisy rpm climb...just noise and no pull.

With 4.30 gears and a 2700 stall converter...used to have a 3000 and changed it

O's Fan Rich
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Converter stall speed calculating gives me a headache.

ctrlraven
07-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Converter stall speed calculating gives me a headache.
Calculate, chug a beer, more calculating, more chugging beer.

james1986fox
07-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I've got a 3500 stall with 3.55 gears (for the moment, 4.10s waiting to be installed) and it's great. With 4.10 gears a 3000 or 3500 stall converter will work just fine as long as the tune has been adjusted for it.
I just purchased a PI 3100 stall tc and already have 4.10s am I definitely going to need another tune

mgmsleeper
07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
You need to ask the cons of running a 35 thousand rpm stall converter?!?

no i know the pros, jus was looking for other opinions.

mgmsleeper
07-13-2009, 06:17 PM
thanks i appreciate the info. i guess i'll be looking to get another tune to bring it all together.

ImpalaSlayer
07-13-2009, 06:25 PM
mine kinda feels liek that under partial throttle but when i stomp it from a standstill itll launch like a bat outa hell

Local Boy
07-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Bring your idle up, Brutha...

3,500 stall with a stock idle 550 (?)= hesitation...

A 750 rpm idle in D = No hesitation...

ALOHA

Darrin
07-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Bring your idle up, Brutha...

3,500 stall with a stock idle 550 (?)= hesitation...

A 750 rpm idle in D = No hesitation...

ALOHA

There is a distinct difference in that you don't have a PI torque converter. If you could feel how slushy some of those are it would blow your mind. Not all of them, but some of them and it's totally hit and miss.

You my friend chose wisely. None of the converters like you have ever have come with that total slush feel. There has never been a complaint about that.

It's all in what's inside.

Darrin

ctrlraven
07-14-2009, 08:02 AM
There is a distinct difference in that you don't have a PI torque converter. If you could feel how slushy some of those are it would blow your mind. Not all of them, but some of them and it's totally hit and miss.

You my friend chose wisely. None of the converters like you have ever have come with that total slush feel. There has never been a complaint about that.

It's all in what's inside.

Darrin
So you're saying PI converters are a wise buy?

Local Boy
07-14-2009, 08:14 AM
To be clear...

I got a 3,500 stall BC Auotmotive TC...and it ROCKS!

That's a wise buy!!!

Thanks Darin...

ALOHA

Commodore Crap
07-14-2009, 09:04 AM
mine kinda feels liek that under partial throttle but when i stomp it from a standstill itll launch like a bat outa hell

i have a 3500 PI. And i like it. even with tthe 3.55s in it, it wasn't bad. But when i got that tune, thats what woke it up.

i had an issue with the fluid levels when i first put it in. I was impatient becasue i had to order a case of tranny fluid and wait for it to come in. So i didn't preload the converter like you're supposed to. So, as i drove it around, it really felt suggish. Then, i checked the fluid and it was low. This went on for a few days, with minimal driving. I'd check it, run, check it, run, and so on. It was just a matter of the TQC sucking up all the fluid.
Now, it is fantastic.

but yes, it launches like a bat outta hell.

ctrlraven
07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
i have a 3500 PI. And i like it. even with tthe 3.55s in it, it wasn't bad. But when i got that tune, thats what woke it up.

i had an issue with the fluid levels when i first put it in. I was impatient becasue i had to order a case of tranny fluid and wait for it to come in. So i didn't preload the converter like you're supposed to. So, as i drove it around, it really felt suggish. Then, i checked the fluid and it was low. This went on for a few days, with minimal driving. I'd check it, run, check it, run, and so on. It was just a matter of the TQC sucking up all the fluid.
Now, it is fantastic.

but yes, it launches like a bat outta hell.
Yep, once I get my retune from Zack it was like a brand new car again. Can't wait till the 4.10s go in.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Did you guys get tunes that were different from other aftermarket tunes, that were changed for the 3500 TC, or was it an issue of people installing a 3500 Tc with STOCK tunes and then noticing a difference largely due to the aftermarket trans tune? Me confused.

Commodore Crap
07-15-2009, 10:16 AM
my tune is unchanged for the 3500. I talked to Z*** about it and he said that the tune does not need to be changed for it. by the way, i have a Lidio tune.

the 3500 works with the stock tune. it just works extremely better with a tune.