PDA

View Full Version : Eaton vs. Vortech type

John F. Russo
07-19-2009, 04:22 AM
I have a Kenny Brown with a Vortech.

From a dead start my boost is close to to 7 -8 psig.

Yet if I go WOT at about 50 mph, the boost will only be 3 psig. Why?

I have been told the psig would not change if I use an Eaton design type supercharger instead of a Vortech. Is this correct?

(I asked this same question as part of another thread. I received only one response which came from "Formula Marauder".

He said, "Your boost should climb as your rpm do, and should be pegged at WOT. Any turbo or supercharger no matter what the brand operate in this fashion. You need to get yours checked out."

His single response may be the only correct one. But here is a another question.

How do I determine the cause of this problem?

¬¬¬¬¬2003 Dark Blue Pearl 300B (Canadian) w/Light Flint (reversed traction control, mini spare, trunked 6 disc CD changer, clock-in-the-radio, heated front seats/mirrors, hood light), Born 12/10/02; converted new then used 2/28/03; 81,000 miles
ENGINE: Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion, Vortech supercharger (5 to 7 psig boost; 3.48 pulley), 400 RWHP/377 RWTQ, 8.8lbs/BHP; Dennis Reinhart Cobra engine cooling kit, NGKTR-6 (iridium) spark plugs TRANSMISSION: Stock transmission upgraded with Performance Automatic "Super Streeter" transmission version, stub shaft (defective metal) failed at 30k miles; upgraded internals (except for torque converter) to Reinhart's design; Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3, later upgraded to 3500 rpm stall speed); Ford Racing transmission aluminum pan SUSPENSION: Metco control arms (black powdered coated), coil from each front stock spring removed to produce the “same” effect as an Eibach spring DRIVETRAIN 4.10 gears, MMX Driveshaft, Ford Racing Stud and Girdle BRAKES:14 in. KVR brakes (two piston, slotted rotors), TIRES: Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18, rear widened rims with Hankook 295/45ZR18), ACCESSORIES: Wheel locks (Ford), godshead valve stem caps, KB Dead pedal, Badgeless front grille by “Zack”; Zaino waxing; RainX; 3M protective film, FordChip, Ground clearance: 5 in. MISCELLANEOUS 18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph, one tank of gas
______________________________ ___________________________
1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel (Gone)

BlueWaterMan

Blk Mamba
07-19-2009, 04:46 AM

For how long, does this happen, momentarily, or more than a second or two?

John F. Russo
07-19-2009, 07:00 AM

For how long, does this happen, momentarily, or more than a second or two?

Thank you for coming aboard!

As I recall it stays at 3 psig.

I have tested this multiply times for the past two years with the same result.
(I never really looked at it for the first 3 years or so that I owned the car.)

When I go WOT from a dead start, it goes to 7 or so psig within two seconds.

I'll look at the gauge again since it has been about a year.

Marauderjack
07-19-2009, 07:13 AM
My guess is from a stop your TC slips up to the stall speed and 1st gear is low enough to give you 5-6K RPM's right now!!:beer:

At 50 MPH you should be in TC lockup and about 1500 RPM's in 4th gear...perhaps your TC schedule doesn't allow it to unlock and you only go back to 3rd gear at say....3K Rpm's (low boost)??:cool:

Just a guess because if your TC unlocks and you drop back to 2nd gear at 50 MPH you should get 5-6K RPM's and max boost ASAP....mine does!! :beer::bows:

Let someone look at your trans/TC schedule first of all and make sure the TC is unlocked when you floor it at 50 MPH!!:help:

Good Luck!!:beer:

John F. Russo
07-19-2009, 04:27 PM
My guess is from a stop your TC slips up to the stall speed and 1st gear is low enough to give you 5-6K RPM's right now!!:beer:

At 50 MPH you should be in TC lockup and about 1500 RPM's in 4th gear...perhaps your TC schedule doesn't allow it to unlock and you only go back to 3rd gear at say....3K Rpm's (low boost)??:cool:

Just a guess because if your TC unlocks and you drop back to 2nd gear at 50 MPH you should get 5-6K RPM's and max boost ASAP....mine does!! :beer::bows:

Let someone look at your trans/TC schedule first of all and make sure the TC is unlocked when you floor it at 50 MPH!!:help:

Good Luck!!:beer:

When I go WOT at 50 mph, it is always after I put it into 3rd gear.

Does this change your evaluation?

In any case I'll check it out again.

Marauderjack
07-20-2009, 05:13 AM
What tune are you running John??:confused:

Sounds like the TC is remaining locked....a lot of tuners like to lock it at WOT to get the most power but it only works when it is in the "Power Band"......mine is set up to unlock at any throttle position over about half throttle making down shifts less torturous to the trans!!:beer:

One more thing.....shouldn't it drop back to 2nd gear at WOT at 50 MPH??:confused: Mine does and I'm off like a ROCKET SHIP!!:burnout:

I believe your tuning is the culprit but I've been wrong before......just don't remember when.....it was a long time ago....Ha Ha!!!:eek::D

John F. Russo
07-20-2009, 10:28 AM
What tune are you running John??:confused:

Sounds like the TC is remaining locked....a lot of tuners like to lock it at WOT to get the most power but it only works when it is in the "Power Band"......mine is set up to unlock at any throttle position over about half throttle making down shifts less torturous to the trans!!:beer:

One more thing.....shouldn't it drop back to 2nd gear at WOT at 50 MPH??:confused: Mine does and I'm off like a ROCKET SHIP!!:burnout:

I believe your tuning is the culprit but I've been wrong before......just don't remember when.....it was a long time ago....Ha Ha!!!:eek::D

As I said, I retested my previous conditions:

At both 60 mph and 80 mph, I dropped into thrid gear, went WOT and in both cases the boost went to 4 psig and no higher.

Does this change your suggested plan of action for me?

Thank you.