PDA

View Full Version : Buy SCT tuner across border, or locally?

GetMeMyStogie
07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey there,

I'm looking to buy an SCT tuner and a tune, and I was hoping my fellow Canrauders could help me out. Compared to buying a tuner and a custom tune locally (I'm in the 416 area), would it be less expensive to buy a tuner with a preloaded tune from someone in the US, and cross the border myself to pick it up and bring it home? I'm heading to the states later this week and if it's going to be less $$ to buy the tuner there, then I'd like to do that. I have a US address that I use, so shipping a preloaded tuner isn't a problem.

Any advice?

Taemian
07-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey there,

I'm looking to buy an SCT tuner and a tune, and I was hoping my fellow Canrauders could help me out. Compared to buying a tuner and a custom tune locally (I'm in the 416 area), would it be less expensive to buy a tuner with a preloaded tune from someone in the US, and cross the border myself to pick it up and bring it home? I'm heading to the states later this week and if it's going to be less $$ to buy the tuner there, then I'd like to do that. I have a US address that I use, so shipping a preloaded tuner isn't a problem.

Any advice?
If you get a used one, make sure your engine code is the same as the one you're buying!

Or just beg Lidio to sell you one and ship it....or buy one from him, ship to a USA post box. Lidio's tune is the best, and the sheer number of folks with his tunes says something that can't be denied.

GetMeMyStogie
07-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Or just beg Lidio to sell you one and ship it....or buy one from him, ship to a USA post box. Lidio's tune is the best, and the sheer number of folks with his tunes says something that can't be denied.

This is what I'm thinking of doing, but wanted some opinions on local tuners. My guess is that local tuners are going to try to rip me off on the tuner, let alone any tunes.

Serge
07-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Ship it to the States then carry it over yourself. This is always cheaper for items that cost $20 or more. You could probably just throw it into your center console and not mention it and won't have to pay anything. I always carry mine in the car with me and I crossed the border quite often.

On expensive items there is always taxes and brokerage fees. If shipped with UPS or FedEx, quite often they exceed the value of the item.

MADRODER
07-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Drove mine to Lidio's and had him tune it, in my opinion there is no one in the GTA that knows how to tune a Marauder properly including Steeda.

Serge
07-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Drove mine to Lidio's and had him tune it, in my opinion there is no one in the GTA that knows how to tune a Marauder properly including Steeda.

Tried Da Silva?

MM03MOK
07-20-2009, 07:18 PM
A trip to see Lidio, just north of Detroit, wouldn't be a long ride for you....

GetMeMyStogie
07-20-2009, 08:29 PM
in my opinion there is no one in the GTA that knows how to tune a Marauder properly including Steeda.

This is great info - much appreciated :)

Tried Da Silva?

No, though he's the local option I had in mind. There was some talk of group dyno time on OCQVO, but it seems nothing ever came of it. I like to think for the same reason I haven't really looked into their offerings - I'm just too damn lazy ;). Well, that and not enough spare $$

GetMeMyStogie
07-20-2009, 08:32 PM
A trip to see Lidio, just north of Detroit, wouldn't be a long ride for you....

Hmm, 4 hours and tank of gas one-way. If I had any kind of mods, I might do this, but all I've got going is a CAI, and maybe some 94 octane gas.

Serge
07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I am gonna be going to Da Silva within the next month for a dyno ones I get the Vortech in. Will see how it turns out.

Canadasvt
07-21-2009, 06:07 AM
I ordered mine from Alternative Auto Performance from here. After calling Lidio twice in 1 1/2 weeks and never getting a call back it was just convenient for me to get the same exact same product and tune at www.innovativeinterceptors.com (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/www.innovativeinterceptors.com )
Much cheaper than anywhere around the GTA, especially Steeda, and the tune works great!

illwood
07-21-2009, 06:47 AM
I ordered mine from Alternative Auto Performance from here. After calling Lidio twice in 1 1/2 weeks and never getting a call back it was just convenient for me to get the same exact same product and tune at http://www.alternativeauto.com/
Much cheaper than anywhere around the GTA, especially Steeda, and the tune works great!
Um, that's Lidio's website or did you mean it was easier to just buy it off the website than by phone?

Anyway.

Lidio's tune is the best, and the sheer number of folks with his tunes says something that can't be denied.
I bought my XCal2 with Lidio's tune for 93 and 91 octane on 3.55 gears. The tune definitely woke my car up, but it wasn't the perfect tune for me. I do a lot of driving and the fact that Lidio's tune doesn't lock the converter until ~63mph didn't work too well for me.

Also, when I went to a local SVT club's dyno day event, my car made 3 pulls on 3 different tunes.

1. Stock Tune
2. Lidio 93 Octane
3. Lidio 91 Octane

I may have suffered from poor quality gas, but my best power was made on the stock tune as both of Lidio's tunes triggered the knock sensors and caused my PCM to pull spark, therefore, reducing my power.

I'm not saying that Lidio doesn't know how to tune cars, I'm just saying there are limitations to a mail-order tune.

Aren Jay
07-21-2009, 07:41 AM
The first thing to do is research. Find out what makes the tune work the way it does, this is done by talking to people who have and use these tunes. Most tuners do not like to talk about their tunes or how they are setup. Dennis Reinhart makes an aggressive, some would say sophisticated tune. Lidio has a more open analogue tune. There are other tuners but i found little info about them. Dennis appears to have a more gas mileage friendly tune at lower speeds but it is more harsh in transmission shifts. He will customise it to suit you should you wish to call Florida several times. He prides himself on his customer service yet is also let down by his lack of past customer service, kind of an oxymoron. He likes to send email tunes out but needs you to phone him to get him to do this, as he dislikes email...
Should you like the lidio tune, and given your location you should go that route but don't expect distance customisations to the tune, it is what it is.

For the best tune you might want to start with a mail-order tune but follow it up with a full Dyno tune. Much more expensive but it will fully customise the tune to your settings and extract every last bit of "tune" out of your particular vehicle. Again given your location you might want to have Lidio give you this dyno tune and the SCT as a package. This would be the best option and give you the best end result.

http://ca.maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=43.16148&lon=-81.10709&zoom=9&q1=toronto%2C%20on&q2=51945%20Gratiot%20Ave%2C%20 Chesterfield%20Twp.%2C%20Michi gan%2048051

Lidio's shop is about 300 klicks from TO. Well worth the drive.

Haggis
07-21-2009, 07:43 AM
The first thing to do is research...

Who are you and what did you do with AJ? :mad2:

MADRODER
07-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Tried Da Silva?

DaSilva is a great guy and a great tuner but I still think Lidio top's him when it come's to tuning Marauders. If I had a Mustang or Shelby......DaSilva wins

Canadasvt
07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Um, that's Lidio's website or did you mean it was easier to just buy it off the website than by phone?

Oops! I meant to say I got it through Wes at www.innovativeinterceptors.com (http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com ) He gets it from Lidio and Wes took care of me on my first phone call to him. Whoever answered the phone at Lidio's each time I called either never passed on my info or something but I never heard back from Alternative

scruff
07-23-2009, 03:46 PM
i would strongly recomend you buy an xcal 3 and tune from Dasilva,s raceing in Pickering they have done a few custom tunes for me the latest being my S/C P71 and i am very happy with there tuneing on the dyno jet,,while there may be cheaper tunes available elsewhere you would be better off to buy locally. Dasilva can tune any ford as good or better then most shops.... dont go to steeda .ca they suck,,,,i guess you must have missed our dyno day at Dasilva,s this spring we had a few members show up it would be nice to see some more cars next time--cheers Gordo

Got_1
07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
does this "dasilva" guy have a website? i was thinking about a lidio tune but if i can get something done here in ontario i think i'm better off.

nomad
07-23-2009, 05:53 PM
does this "dasilva" guy have a website? i was thinking about a lidio tune but if i can get something done here in ontario i think i'm better off.
http://www.mustangtoystore.com/

Got_1
07-24-2009, 03:51 PM
thanks nomad
so those who have been to Dasilva's...would you suggest a dyno tune from him? would it be comparable to lidio or Rheinhart?

scruff
07-24-2009, 04:12 PM
lets just say a dyno tune from Joe will make sure your A/F is where it should be in order to make safe HP.. A box tune from anyone else cannot gaurantee this , only a dyno tune will make sure your car is running right .

Canadasvt
07-25-2009, 10:30 AM
i would strongly recomend you buy an xcal 3 and tune from Dasilva,s raceing ...........,i guess you must have missed our dyno day at Dasilva,s this spring we had a few members show up it would be nice to see some more cars next time--cheers Gordo

What does Joe charge for a proper tune?

Got_1
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
i'm curious as well.
i emailed his shop yesturday asking that question.

scruff
07-25-2009, 09:50 PM
i think it would depend on whether or not you already have a SCTflash device or if you plan on buying one from him Joe can answer that question