PDA

View Full Version : Question re: NA tune

Mesencephalon
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a question i can't seem to find an answer for using search. I bought an SCT Xcal2 from Reinhardt Automotive in 2007 that i've only used once - when I flashed the tune Dennis had put into the next 'slot'. My only mod at the time was a K&N CAI, which I told Dennis about & he put in what I think he called a 93 Octane tune based on what I told him.

I have for a while wanted to be an 'total Royal Purple' car, and I am having my MM's 60K maintenance & tuneup done as soon as the next shipment of RP fluids arrive. Among everything else, this includes changing out the oil filter, gear fluid, transmission fluid, as well as changing to the new braided brake hoses & the new Granatelli Motor Sports MPG Plus coil packs.

My question is how will the changes effect the tune that Dennis put in? Will having 60,000v coil packs be a change that the flash will not take into consideration, for example, or will the added lubrication and temperature control in my diff / tranny / radiator / etc. & any improvements to MPG & HP they may offer be negated by not being taken into consideration with the current flash?

I apologise for my naivete, this is always a learning experience. I am currently in a kick trying to improve my MM with an inexpensive mod every month or so and these have been a long time coming, and I am totally behind the need for 'middle-age' maintenance & lube, etc., I just don't want to risk damaging anything or having the current flash negate any/all of the improvements.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mes / Dave
p.s. yes i was premature putting those into my sig., but i was so proud! :burnout:

Paul T. Casey
07-29-2009, 12:32 PM
The things you plan on shouldn't have an effect nor be affected by your current tune. I sent you a pm.

ctrlraven
07-29-2009, 12:39 PM
All that stuff will be fine and not affect the tune. If you went with Headers, Gears, or Torque Converter then yes the tune would need to be corrected.

in2deep
07-29-2009, 01:06 PM
All that stuff will be fine and not affect the tune. If you went with Headers, Gears, or Torque Converter then yes the tune would need to be corrected.

Even with all the bolt-ons you described, a 'custom' dyno tune for a NA car is nothing more than a few degrees of spark added (if the engine can take it.
Very seldom do you see a big change (or any at all) in the MAF transfer function.
No 2 cars are alike, but Ive seen 300rwhp 4V's with Headers that didnt need any MAF corrections. The factory has the tune setup pretty good AF wise.