PDA

View Full Version : MAF Question for Eaton Swap

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Okay. So, I recently joined this forum because my brother-in-law and I decided to embark on a journey. This journey is to install 03 Cobra Supercharger system on my father-in-law's Mercury Marauder. So far so good. All the hardware is installed, including the Alternator!! Fuel system is done, Ford GT pump. and now I'm working on hooking up all the wiring. One of the area's where I have questions revolves around the MAF. The stock Marauder MAF harness has 6 wires, and the oner that came off of the Cobra only has 4.

Does anybody know what each of the Maf wires is for?? The 2 that there are no provisions for on the Cobra MAF are the 2 outermost wires, 1 on each side of the 6 wires going into the plug.

That's it for now. I'm sure there will be a few more questions before I'm able to wrap things up, but that'll do for now. I'll be sure to post up pictures when I get a chance. We took a bunch along the way, so it should show the progress reasonably well. So far we've got about 2 weekends in it. This upcoming will make 15 days that the car has been down. But considering we all have full time jobs, I'd say that we're doing okay.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

Krytin
07-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Somewhere this has been covered before and a search might turn it up but have you considered an aftermarket 90mm MAF that would plug right in?

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 05:06 AM
I tried searching for MAF wires but didn't turn up much luck. I'll continue to look though. I know that everyone wants you to use the search first. I've been on various different forums for years now. So not a newbie to the game, just this game.

I'm not sure if the MAF I have is aftermarket or stock Cobra. Probably stock Cobra. and it will plug right in, it's just short 2 wires. Not quite to the point yet where I can run the car, so I'm not sure if not having those provisions on the Cobra MAF wil be a problem or not. I'd rather not purchse an aftermarket one as this is another expense that I'm not sure is needed. The Cobra one should be sufficient assuming the outer 2 wires on the harness aren't important.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows what the MAF wires are??

bob6364
07-30-2009, 05:28 AM
This thread may help you alittle
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48894&highlight=maf+eaton

MM_BKK
07-30-2009, 06:13 AM
The two outer connection on the MAF harness is for the IAT sensor.
The Cobra MAF does not have IAT built in and the MM does.

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks, I've actually seen that thread, and although it was helpful, I'm looking for a little more detail regarding the wires on the MAF. Is one of the wires going into the MAF an IAT sensor on the Marauder. I know that the Cobra's have 2 IAT sensors. 1 in the intake tube, befor the MAF, and 1 in the top of the lower intake on the drivers side.

It sounds like 1 of the wires in the Marauder MAF is an IAT wire?? 1 of the outer 1's maybe?? Can I use that for the IAT sensor behind the eaton (post charged/compressed air)?? If 1 of those wires in the Marauder MAF harness is not for the IAT sensor, where is is on the Marauders?? I think I've accounted for all the wires that I need to relocate except for this. It seems as though the Marauder does not have a stand alone IAT sensor. Somebody please inform me if I'm mistaken.

I'd love to hear more details on how the Trilogy kit relocates the IAT to the lower intake. Where does the wire come from?? What sensor is used?? and where does it go??

FordNut
07-30-2009, 06:33 AM
One wire is IAT, the other is reference voltage for IAT. You should connect them to the IAT sensor in the Cobra intake manifold.

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 06:35 AM
The two outer connection on the MAF harness is for the IAT sensor.
The Cobra MAF does not have IAT built in and the MM does.

Shoot, you beat me too it. So are both wires for 1 IAT sensor?? Can I just steal those from the MAF harness and hook them up to the stock Cobra IAT sensor on the back of the intake?? I don't know which colors the wires are becuase I'm not looking at them, but I'm assuming that it will matter which wire goes to where on the sensor?? Any more information would be appreicated.

Thanks.

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 06:37 AM
One wire is IAT, the other is reference voltage for IAT. You should connect them to the IAT sensor in the Cobra intake manifold.

Darn it. Happened again. So how do I know which is which?? Wll there be voltage to one and not the other?? Does it matter?? Sounds like it will hook up to a stock Cobra IAT sensor??

MM_BKK
07-30-2009, 06:42 AM
There are no polarity on the IAT sensor connection.

The TMAP sensor on the discharge plate will have 4 connections.

Two are for MAP and the other two for IAT. You will need to reroute the MAP wiring from your EGR harness.

FordNut
07-30-2009, 06:48 AM
It will hook up, but I can't remember which wires it should connect to. I'll have to dig into it a bit. The Cobra IAT 2 sensor in the manifold has 4 wires. Ground, reference voltage, MAP signal, IAT signal.

The Cobra EGR valve is also different from the Marauder one. The Marauder EGR valve has the MAP sensor built into it, so if you're using the Cobra EGR valve or deleting the EGR valve altogether you really ought to swap two wires from the Marauder EGR harness to the Cobra sensor.

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with TMAP on the descharge plate. Where is this??

Which wires do I need to steal from the EGR Harness?? The EGR has been deleted and Plated off. FYI.

There are no polarity on the IAT sensor connection.

The TMAP sensor on the discharge plate will have 4 connections.

Two are for MAP and the other two for IAT. You will need to reroute the MAP wiring from your EGR harness.

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 07:09 AM
So where do all these wires come from. Sounds like Reference voltage, and IAT signal are the outer 2 wires on the MAF?? And they are interchangeable as far as what I connect them to on the sensor?? And it sounds like the MAP signal comes from the EGR Harness?? Which wire from that harness?? I believe there are either 6 or 8 wires going into that harness?? Can I steal the ground from the EGR Harness also?? Which one is that??

Lastly, anyone have a part number for the Cobra IAT sensor for the back of the intake?? I just called Tousely Ford and the guy I spoke to could not locate it.

Thanks all. Huge help so far...

It will hook up, but I can't remember which wires it should connect to. I'll have to dig into it a bit. The Cobra IAT 2 sensor in the manifold has 4 wires. Ground, reference voltage, MAP signal, IAT signal.

The Cobra EGR valve is also different from the Marauder one. The Marauder EGR valve has the MAP sensor built into it, so if you're using the Cobra EGR valve or deleting the EGR valve altogether you really ought to swap two wires from the Marauder EGR harness to the Cobra sensor.

FordNut
07-30-2009, 07:32 AM
The Cobra sensor is on the top of the discharge plate, driver's side, toward the back. It has a 4-pin connector which points toward the driver. Hopefully you still have the Cobra engine wiring harness so you could cut the connector off of it and it will have the color-coded wires to assist in determining connections.,.

Basic connections are:
From MM > To Cobra
MAF P1 Gy/Rd > MAP/BAP/IAT2 P4 Gy/Rd Signal Return
MAF P6 Gy > MAP/BAP/IAT2 P1 DB/LG MAF Signal
EGR P2 Bn/Wh > MAP/BAP/IAT2 P2 Bn/Wh Reference Voltage
EGR P3 LB/Rd > MAP/BAP/IAT2 P3 Rd/Ye MAP Sensor Signal

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Okay. So I found the sensor, and the pig-tail wire harness for it. It's on its way. So should the wires for the different sensors be the same color between the 2 vehicles (Marauder and Cobra).

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Sorry. Didn't see your wire descriptions. I thought that was your sig. That's very helpful. Thanks so much.

The Cobra sensor is on the top of the discharge plate, driver's side, toward the back. It has a 4-pin connector which points toward the driver. Hopefully you still have the Cobra engine wiring harness so you could cut the connector off of it and it will have the color-coded wires to assist in determining connections.,.

Basic connections are:
From MM > To Cobra

FordNut
07-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Okay. So I found the sensor, and the pig-tail wire harness for it. It's on its way. So should the wires for the different sensors be the same color between the 2 vehicles (Marauder and Cobra).

If you bought a replacement pigtail from Ford the color codes won't be as listed. You'll have to figure it out from the pin #.

wrc7732
07-30-2009, 08:12 AM
That's okay. I have a Cobra myself that I can match up the pin #'s and corelate the colors to. Thanks again. I'll keep you all posted.

in2deep
07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
The sensor is a DY754.

Install the sensor in the lower intake (in the rear)
Take the 2 outer wire in the MAF harness, lengthen them and hook them up to the pigtail in no certain way.
They can be hooked up to either side, IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

in2deep
07-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Make a blockoff plate for the MAP sensor in the Cobra blower, it is not needed.

DTUB
03-21-2010, 06:19 PM

Basic connections are:
From MM > To Cobra
Can someone please clarify this for me, I have all my wires alocated to make this MAF/MAP change but the pig tail I bought has white wires. So how do you tell what the pin numbers are on the Cobra IAT? What order?
:help:

FordNut
03-21-2010, 07:11 PM
You may need to check with a magnifying glass, there should be a number on the connector, at least for pin #1.

Dennis Reinhart
03-21-2010, 07:13 PM
[quote=wrc7732;789207]Okay. So, I recently joined this forum because my brother-in-law and I decided to embark on a journey. This journey is to install 03 Cobra Supercharger system on my father-in-law's Mercury Marauder. So far so good. All the hardware is installed, including the Alternator!! Fuel system is done, Ford GT pump. and now I'm working on hooking up all the wiring. One of the area's where I have questions revolves around the MAF. The stock Marauder MAF harness has 6 wires, and the oner that came off of the Cobra only has 4.

Does anybody know what each of the Maf wires is for?? The 2 that there are no provisions for on the Cobra MAF are the 2 outermost wires, 1 on each side of the 6 wires going into the plug.

That's it for now. I'm sure there will be a few more questions before I'm able to wrap things up, but that'll do for now. I'll be sure to post up pictures when I get a chance. We took a bunch along the way, so it should show the progress reasonably well. So far we've got about 2 weekends in it. This upcoming will make 15 days that the car has been down. But considering we all have full time jobs, I'd say that we're doing okay.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Call me it is a piece of cake

DTUB
03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks man, they were right on the bottom under the wires.