PDA

View Full Version : getting new driveshaft, need help

LANDY
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
well, i went to a local place that a friend with a 69 charger recomended me, they custom make driveshafts, the owner of the shop told me, he can make me a high speed balanced driveshaft for 440 bucks, just the driveshaft, everything else was seperate. he gots good reputation around town,it is aluminum. by the way, i have 4.10s
what questions to ask?
should i just go with the dynotech complete kit for 571 dollars and free shipping?
any other suggestions on the one to go with?
:confused::help::confused::hel p:

LANDY
08-05-2009, 03:54 AM
help! anyone.

bob6364
08-05-2009, 04:24 AM
We I'm confused you say he will make a driveshaft for 440 then you say everything else is extra...WHAT eveything else? We don't know what kind of shop you went.A name would be nice,maybe someone here knows the shop.

03calitejas
08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Dude, why try to reinvent the wheel. Since you're in Florida why not just give Dennis Reinhart a call and get a balanced shaft thru him. He's the guy that knows these cars better than anyone else down that way. Maybe have one ordered and then drive there to have it installed. He might be convinced to give your car the once over and let you know what shape shes in and give you good suggestions as to what to do next to it....

Glenn
08-05-2009, 12:15 PM
You do not need this type of drive shaft - it is way overkill unless you have money to burn or frequently race the car. Pay $50 and have your factory drive shaft balanced - you're good to go. Use the rest of the money for some good proven HP mods.

Glenn :burnout:

Krytin
08-05-2009, 12:48 PM
You do not need this type of drive shaft - it is way overkill unless you have money to burn or frequently race the car. Pay $50 and have your factory drive shaft balanced - you're good to go. Use the rest of the money for some good proven HP mods.

Glenn :burnout:

+1 on that!!
Even w/4.10's the oem shaft if straight and balanced is more than up to the task as far as the speedometer will take you.

LANDY
08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Guys i highly appreciate everything. But i just ordered a new one from dennis.
Just getting ready for big power in the future. Thanks again

landy

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
What kind of shaft? I just bought an Alcoa MMC shaft for $65 used. We already have an aluminum driveshaft. Getting that guy to make you another $400+ aluminum shaft would not be an upgrade unless it was a larger than stock diameter. Our stock driveshafts are already "high speed balanced".

LANDY
08-05-2009, 05:03 PM
What kind of shaft? I just bought an Alcoa MMC shaft for $65 used. We already have an aluminum driveshaft. Getting that guy to make you another $400+ aluminum shaft would not be an upgrade unless it was a larger than stock diameter. Our stock driveshafts are already "high speed balanced".

i got the dynotech driveshaft from Dennis Reinhart.

why? i dont drive the car every day, but i do go from ocala fl to miami every two months to see my parents and last trip it felt like i was riding a very rough car, the MM is not.

08-06-2009, 05:31 AM
I agree the stock shaft is borderline in our cars. You can find a metal matrix driveshaft used for under $100 because Ford already equipped some police cars with them. No need to buy a new one if you can find a used one that hasn't been dented

babbage
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Is that the second one - I thought you said you threw away the first one.

08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
yes this is #2, #1 was discarded, but the company that sold me #1 refunded the entire purchase price including shipping, so I was out zero dollars for that one.

LANDY
08-06-2009, 04:09 PM
thats good. im glad you came clean on that one. i spent two weeks going to junk yards in gainsville and ocala could not find any. i really had to get that fixed, i have had a Town Car,three Crown Vics, and a Grand Marquis,none of them have driven like the MM did after the 4.10.
can't wait ;)