PDA

View Full Version : Xcal 2 problems! HELP!

Rockettman
08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I just got my Xcal2 today. It's used but is unlocked and has a tune on it.
When I plug it in (as per all instructions), the only menu for programming the car that comes up is "Recovery Mode".
What the...??
- Zack are you out there?? -

ctrlraven
08-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Sounds like the previous owner didn't unlock it.

Is the tune on it suppose to be for your car?

Rockettman
08-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Yah it's for my car. The previous owner is a trusted member here. The tune is from a trusted member too.

ctrlraven
08-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Sounds like it's still vin locked or the ECU code doesn't match up. Check to see what yours is and the person you bought it from is.

scruff
08-07-2009, 03:35 PM
i thought xcal 2 have been deemed out of service by sct? you now need an xcal 3 or better keep the economy going

ImpalaSlayer
08-07-2009, 03:54 PM
i thought xcal 2 have been deemed out of service by sct? you now need an xcal 3 or better keep the economy going

LIES. mine works just fine and was updated by my tuner not 2 weeks ago

james1986fox
08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Mine also works fine

Blk Mamba
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I think scruff was being sarcastic?

KillJoy
08-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Do you have another Ford w/ OBDII to plug this into? If it does the same, it sounds like it MIGHT be locked.

You can flash any MM Engine Code to any other (might not be the best thing to do though...)

KillJoy

Rockettman
08-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Do you have another Ford w/ OBDII to plug this into? If it does the same, it sounds like it MIGHT be locked.

You can flash any MM Engine Code to any other (might not be the best thing to do though...)

KillJoy
I do have a 96 TBird, but I'm pretty sure that if it is in fact locked, it says on the screen that it's locked to another vehicle.

Richy04
08-07-2009, 06:07 PM
It must be put back to its original state (which the original owner does before he sends it.)

Then it must be unlocked using a special sct program using a usb cable (I am looking for it now on my other machine so sit tight and send me an email addy.)

Richy04
08-07-2009, 06:22 PM
The program is liveload3 get it here

http://www.sctflash.com/getupdates.php

FordNut
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
He has a Mac.

Richy04
08-07-2009, 08:43 PM
well you need a pc, otherwise you will have to buy sct and pay the programmers to rewrite all of the software for macs..:flamer:

Richy04
08-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Anyway, just so you guys know (some don't)

When you get an xcal 2 from someone, it is locked to their car, they must download the custom tune back into the xcal and upload the stock tune to their ecu for it to be usable on another car.

Then the xcal must be reset with the above mentioned program via the usb cable and this can be done only 5 times (car to car) before it needs to go back for a factory reset.

XLRVIII
09-29-2009, 11:02 AM
"recovery mode" doesnt mean it's vin locked.
"recovery mode" means the firmware is hosed... and needs to be re-installed/updated.

Beforwarened, SCT updates usually "remove" something more often than they "add" something

if it has FW 1.11 it'll need to be updated to 1.14 because you cannot "reinstall" the same firmware over the top of itself.

If it's has FW 1.14 there is a 1.15 FW on scts website.

Check the FW version by powering up the device and scrolling to device info, then hit select
it should give the firmware version on that screen, if not.. hit select again and it's on the following screen.

babbage
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Anyway, just so you guys know (some don't)

When you get an xcal 2 from someone, it is locked to their car, they must download the custom tune back into the xcal and upload the stock tune to their ecu for it to be usable on another car.

Then the xcal must be reset with the above mentioned program via the usb cable and this can be done only 5 times (car to car) before it needs to go back for a factory reset.

This is correct. I have 4 changes (cars) left on my XCAL2 now.
For a Mac you can get bootcamp and setup Windows XP. Many people do this.