PDA

View Full Version : Another Nitrous question.

Benwin
08-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I've read the horror stories of people getting pulled over, and having NOS in their cars...

I've read the "how much is too much?" threads...

Now, here's the question of the day.

Say you were to put a NOS system in your car... you go WOT, hit the NOS, and then immediately let off the gas, while the NOS is still being injected into the engine... What happens? Does the engine go BOOM!? Does the engine stall out?

Pat
08-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Me thinks your mixing pro racers with street scene. I have a Zex computer controlled system that as soon as you let off the throttle the system shuts off.

The system is only activated when WOT is sensed by the ZEX computer using voltage from the Throttle position sensor. In addition I have a traction controller that also senses RPM. A double safe device, WOT and RPM. Any residual nitrous/gas in the intake is consumed in the combustion process.

This is known as a wet system, Nitrous and gasoline are metered separately to the intake tube. If one or the other is missing or pressure is insufficient it's a no go.

Dry systems, that is only nitrous is controlled and injected into the engine, the gasoline is metered by the regular fuel injectors as a result of a different tune.

There are safety mechanisms for that system in the form of relays and electric switches. Others have a better handle on that I'm sure.

Regards.
there

mgmsleeper
08-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Me thinks your mixing pro racers with street scene. I have a Zex computer controlled system that as soon as you let off the throttle the system shuts off.

The system is only activated when WOT is sensed by the ZEX computer using voltage from the Throttle position sensor. In addition I have a traction controller that also senses RPM. A double safe device, WOT and RPM. Any residual nitrous/gas in the intake is consumed in the combustion process.

This is known as a wet system, Nitrous and gasoline are metered separately to the intake tube. If one or the other is missing or pressure is insufficient it's a no go.

Dry systems, that is only nitrous is controlled and injected into the engine, the gasoline is metered by the regular fuel injectors as a result of a different tune.

There are safety mechanisms for that system in the form of relays and electric switches. Others have a better handle on that I'm sure.

Regards.
there

how big of a shot are you running?

Pat
08-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Had a hundred shot prior to S/C'ing now it's a 50 shot. Same set up.

13.3 @ 103 MPH with 100 shot without even trying (street tires & pressures, hot temps)

LANDY
08-09-2009, 07:19 AM
wow those are decent times. have how long have you been spraying the motor? is it oem block.

burt ragio
08-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I too have been recently looking into wet nitrios systems. The nitrios systems that fogs the TBI. I am still familiarizing myself with the whole process. Better to be safe than walking or calling yellow cab.

LANDY
08-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I too have been recently looking into wet nitrios systems. The nitrios systems that fogs the TBI. I am still familiarizing myself with the whole process. Better to be safe than walking or calling yellow cab.

its hard to make that move when there are so many nay-sayer. and defenately having the engine replaced soon after that.

John Nero
08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
nitrous is safe just have a very good tune

John Nero
08-09-2009, 04:19 PM
its hard to make that move when there are so many nay-sayer. and defenately having the engine replaced soon after that.

you play you have to pay someday(no pay leave it stock)

LANDY
08-09-2009, 04:58 PM
you play you have to pay someday(no pay leave it stock)
that is true. but i meant soon after its installed. who would do a good tune for that in fl;)

burt ragio
08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
nitrous is safe just have a very good tune

So tell me the safest way to hook up a nitrous system.

Pat
08-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Burt Ragio;

The safest way is follow the manufactures directions. Not being facetious but the install directions on the Zex kit and others were very good and even provided warnings where needed.

April edition of Mustang and Fast Fords is devoted to nitrous, check it out.

There are already many threads and posts related to this modification that have answered all of your questions and concerns. Try a search using Nitrous as the key word.

WWW.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53865&highlight=nitrous (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53865&highlight=nitrous)

Disregard the space in the word highlight, type it in without the space. I've queried Mary about it.

Regards,

Pat