PDA

View Full Version : Triolgy Boost

torotoy
08-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I have a burning question, at what RPM does the triolgy SC start making boost in the MM??????????

Com-on now answer up please if you know, I understand from this site that it makes boost as soon as you press on the pedal

True or False ?????

merc
08-07-2009, 07:53 PM
The Roots-type supercharger is simple and widely used. It can also be more effective than alternative superchargers at developing positive intake manifold pressure (i.e., above atmospheric pressure) at low engine speeds, making it a popular choice for passenger automobile applications. Peak torque can be achieved by about 2000 rpm.

Spectragod
08-07-2009, 08:09 PM
My boost comes on right under 2K, this is a twin screw, not an Eaton.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=478

torotoy
08-07-2009, 08:19 PM
The Roots-type supercharger is simple and widely used. It can also be more effective than alternative superchargers at developing positive intake manifold pressure (i.e., above atmospheric pressure) at low engine speeds, making it a popular choice for passenger automobile applications. Peak torque can be achieved by about 2000 rpm.

So you see boost on your gage under 2000 RPM? is your bypass stock?

merc
08-07-2009, 08:29 PM
So you see boost on your gage under 2000 RPM? is your bypass stock?

I don't see boost at that range but rather vacuum during normal driving. At WOT ( Wide open throttle) it quickly changes to boost. Yes I have a stock bypass.

cassidy
08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
The twin screw is not a standard Trilogy kit...the Trilogy is an Eaton M111/M112 (?) modified to fit in the Marauder engine compartment. My understanding is that twin screw Trilogy kits are not available.

Full torque at 2000 RPM? I don't think so. No engine does that with or without a supercharger, even a huge block diesel. Instead of opinions, can we get FACTS? It has a vacuum bypass so it doesn't give boost for a while, right? When you say "press the pedal" that means different things to different people I am sure.

So it only gives boost at WOT?

torotoy
08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I got people tellin me that the triolgy sc don't make boost untill 3000 rpm as controled by the vac bypass so if I want to move the MM at low speeds/rpm I got to mash the pedal unless i go for a 4.10 or higher rear gear

Im tryin to get a feel for the torque , I was hoping the sc would move the car quicker at low rpm's

merc
08-07-2009, 08:53 PM
The twin screw is not a standard Trilogy kit...the Trilogy is an Eaton M111/M112 (?) modified to fit in the Marauder engine compartment. My understanding is that twin screw Trilogy kits are not available.

Full torque at 2000 RPM? I don't think so. No engine does that with or without a supercharger, even a huge block diesel. Instead of opinions, can we get FACTS? It has a vacuum bypass so it doesn't give boost for a while, right? When you say "press the pedal" that means different things to different people I am sure.

So it only gives boost at WOT?

Read it again, this time slowly.

Boost can vary widely on Roots style blowers depend on the upper & lower pulley size and cylinder compression. Transmission torque convertor plays a role in motivating the car quickly depending on stall speed.

cassidy
08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
The rear axle ratio 4.10, 4.30, and 4.56 (ala Billy GMan!) have no effect on when you get boost...it is a function of engine RPM...there is a bypass valve that prevents boost at low RPM. Some kind of engine safety feature or something to prevent back pressure. No problem just floor the accelerator and it is GO TIME. Does someone else with a Trilogy want to chime in and tell us?

merc
08-07-2009, 09:08 PM
The rear axle ratio 4.10, 4.30, and 4.56 (ala Billy GMan!) have no effect on when you get boost...it is a function of engine RPM...there is a bypass valve that prevents boost at low RPM. Some kind of engine safety feature or something to prevent back pressure. No problem just floor the accelerator and it is GO TIME. Does someone else with a Trilogy want to chime in and tell us?

You got your facts wrong about the bypass value.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm

Why do you need a bypass valve? The best kept secret in forced induction is the little known bypass valve. This small valve, when properly installed between the supercharger and the air throttle body, allows the supercharger to become extremely efficient in terms of economy and parasitic power loss. Our M90 supercharger uses less than 1/3 of 1 HP at 60 MPH cruising. The bypass is operated by a vacuum actuator control unit that is normally closed. When vacuum is high (idle-cruising) the actuator opens the bypass valve, equalizing the vacuum pressure throughout the system. When boost is required (accelerating) the vacuum is decreased and the bypass valve instantly closes, causing pressure to increase into the cylinders. This equalized vacuum condition virtually eliminates the normal parasitic power loss of a forced induction system.

cassidy
08-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't care about economy in a supercharged vehicle. Also, "when accelerating" means different things to different people. Does that mean 1/8 accelerator travel or WOT?

merc
08-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't care about economy in a supercharged vehicle. Also, "when accelerating" means different things to different people. Does that mean 1/8 accelerator travel or WOT?

Sorry I don't know how to explain it better or provide you with more information. You don't seem to get the point when you press the gas to the floor I get boost quickly and reach 18 lbs in a blink of the eye. The car lifts from the torque pull.
http://gallery.me.com/mwhite26/100077/DSCN1717/web.jpg?ver=12399755090003

When boost is required (accelerating) the vacuum is decreased and the bypass valve instantly closes, causing pressure to increase into the cylinders. What more needs to be explained.

cassidy
08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
You can't always (or ever) push the accelerator to the floor, especially in the city. If you use very moderate (normal) acceleration what are the boost characteristics?

merc
08-07-2009, 09:42 PM
You can't always (or ever) push the accelerator to the floor, especially in the city. If you use very moderate (normal) acceleration what are the boost characteristics?

I hate to tell you that unless you have sticky tires or VHT on City streets boost is meaningless, moderate or high levels. What you get is a tire burning exercise at WOT.

cassidy
08-07-2009, 09:47 PM
What happens at acceleration below wide open throttle?

Think driving your Grand Marquis around. With that kind of moderate acceleration do you feel any boost? I am trying to quantify this measurement by saying 1/8 of total accelerator pedal travel.

I can't do anywhere near WOT in the city.

merc
08-07-2009, 09:50 PM
What happens at acceleration below wide open throttle?

Think driving your Grand Marquis around. With that kind of moderate acceleration do you feel any boost? I am trying to quantify this measurement by saying 1/8 of total accelerator pedal travel.

I can't do anywhere near WOT in the city.

I can't say for sure.

RR|Suki
08-07-2009, 10:15 PM
you don't need WOT to "hit boost" clearly less throttle less go, but you aren't on motor only at any rate

Bradley G
08-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Someone get this man a ride in a Trilogy :beer::beer:
MARAUDER

Spectragod
08-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Someone get this man a ride in a Trilogy :beer::beer:
MARAUDER

Supposedly..... he has one, on a 300A he wants to sell, because it doesn't have boost @ 600RPM's.

I don't understand what he is trying to achieve, if his blower is going into boost, then that is what it is supposed to do.

Him and I corresponded via PM's, he told me it has had several tunes etc.. I would say we need more specifics to see what's going on, dyno sheets, pulley size, fuel pump etc.

Really, if you can't go WOT in the city, why would you want boost below 2k? You will either go through tires, break parts or receive lots of tickets, please explain.

RR|Suki
08-08-2009, 05:51 AM
it's totally unrealistic for any car to hit hard as hell at 1/8 throttle and low rpm...:shake:

FordNut
08-08-2009, 06:26 AM
It all depends.
From a standstill or a roll, a roots or twin screw will make boost if you punch it to WOT, whatever the rpm. At some lower rpm levels, it won't make full boost but it will make boost.
If you give it 1/2 throttle, it will usually make boost, but it depends on the load. Usually it will not make full boost at 1/2 throttle, but it can if the load is high enough.
If you give it low throttle, it will make a little boost immediately on throttle opening but will quickly drop to vacuum again.
It all depends on the load vs throttle opening. If you are just cruising along and give it a bit of gas, no it won't go into boost and shred the tires.

O's Fan Rich
08-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Remember that discussion about removing the bypass valve some time ago?

This is eerily similar.....

Marauder131
08-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I got people tellin me that the triolgy sc don't make boost untill 3000 rpm as controled by the vac bypass so if I want to move the MM at low speeds/rpm I got to mash the pedal unless i go for a 4.10 or higher rear gear

Im tryin to get a feel for the torque , I was hoping the sc would move the car quicker at low rpm's

It will. One doesn't have to mash it all the way to the floor to experience improved acceleration. Even in my car, which has another type of blower, I get some boost at moderate RPM's. However, if you're wanting bottom end punch, Trilogy all the way. In fact, Trilogy all the way, anyway.

justbob
08-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Supposedly..... he has one, on a 300A he wants to sell, because it doesn't have boost @ 600RPM's.

I don't understand what he is trying to achieve, if his blower is going into boost, then that is what it is supposed to do.

Him and I corresponded via PM's, he told me it has had several tunes etc.. I would say we need more specifics to see what's going on, dyno sheets, pulley size, fuel pump etc.

Really, if you can't go WOT in the city, why would you want boost below 2k? You will either go through tires, break parts or receive lots of tickets, please explain.
We also exchanged plenty of PM's............It ended in me telling him to fix his car or sell it.

He went on to say his Grand Marquis would beat his Trilogy Rauder anyday at 1/8 throttle........ My car has been in MANY cities across this great land and i've NEVER had a problem going WOT from light to light when I want, Is it really that hard to release the go pedal?

Sorry but this post will be beat to death because he will not drive the car like it is supposed to be driven.

Sorry for the interuption Toroty.

Krytin
08-08-2009, 12:12 PM

I

I'll give him $500 for it if it has all the parts - CASH!!

Hooptie
08-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Why doesn't he just register over at MCM.com and ask Jerry Barnes himself. Geez this is like beating a dead horse and gettin different answers on how to acomplish it.

KillJoy
08-08-2009, 12:35 PM
This Thread brings the LOL's, and should be saved for it's Epicness......

:D

KillJoy

RR|Suki
08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
We also exchanged plenty of PM's............It ended in me telling him to fix his car or sell it.

He went on to say his Grand Marquis would beat his Trilogy Rauder anyday at 1/8 throttle........ My car has been in MANY cities across this great land and i've NEVER had a problem going WOT from light to light when I want, Is it really that hard to release the go pedal?

Sorry but this post will be beat to death because he will not drive the car like it is supposed to be driven.

Sorry for the interuption Toroty.

lulz at that
S/C marauder at 1/8 throttle = N/A marauder at wot :D

Spectragod
08-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I'll give him $500 for it if it has all the parts - CASH!!

Said he wants 18K for the car? But it's not in NY, it's in Chi town.....

Krytin
08-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Said he wants 18K for the car? But it's not in NY, it's in Chi town.....
I don't want the car - just that "trilogy thing" that doesn't appear to be working out for him!

:lol:

CBT
08-08-2009, 04:41 PM
This Thread brings the LOL's, and should be saved for it's Epicness......

:D

KillJoy

If I owned a Trilogy I'd spellcheck him for spelling it Triolgy, but I don't so I'm not.

Phrog_gunner
08-08-2009, 04:55 PM
This thread is like a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.....

justbob
08-09-2009, 06:56 AM
To answer your question:

My car at 92* and high humidity

Full boost achieved at 1,700 RPM or so, only 10 PSI, normally 11 (very hot and humid)

Boost will kick in at 1/8 throttle to around 4-5 PSI

Boost at 1/4 to 1/2 is 9-10 PSI

I hope this helps.

Now you own me tires and fuel......

DOOM
08-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Hit the gas = :D :burnout:

torotoy
08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
To answer your question:

My car at 92* and high humidity

Full boost achieved at 1,700 RPM or so, only 10 PSI, normally 11 (very hot and humid)

Boost will kick in at 1/8 throttle to around 4-5 PSI

Boost at 1/4 to 1/2 is 9-10 PSI

I hope this helps.

Now you own me tires and fuel......

Thank you just what I was hoping, much like the lighting F150s