PDA

View Full Version : Gears going in 07/18

Logan
07-17-2002, 10:52 AM
Ok, my 4.10's have arrived at the parts counter, my appointment is for tomorrow morning and I should have it back by day's end, so the first report on the 4.10's should be posted tomorrow night...

Can't wait.. They're tinting my windows while they're at it too...

Next...exhaust. :)

Jim
07-17-2002, 10:58 AM
So who is doing the gear work for you? The dealer?

You know, I've been wondering (hoping) if perhaps the L/M dealerships would be less cognizant of modifications, and therefore less likely to void the 'ol warranty....

That is, less cognizant than an SVT authorized Ford dealer; one used to seeing 'high performance' vehicles, and the things that people do to 'em!

-Jim

tetsu
07-17-2002, 11:41 AM
my dealership said itd void my whole powertrain warranty if they put in new gears.

Johnny

Logan
07-17-2002, 12:09 PM
My dealership, John Eagle Lincoln Mercury, is putting them in, hell, they practically insisted I get the gears changed.

Johnny, your dealership is feeding you a line of ****... Us Mustang and Lightning guys have been changing gears forever and I've yet to have any question regarding powertrain warranty. I even had the clutchpacks in my 99 Lightning rear-end replaced under warranty AFTER I put the 3.73's in... (99L was the only year the L came with 3.55's stock)

It helps that the GM at my dealer is an avid Muscle car guy and performance enthusiast himself. They also sponsor and host the Lone Star Cougar club and SVT Club of North Texas.

You'll get different reactions from different dealerships. Just remember you can get your service from SVT dealerships, where they're a little more friendly to high powered vehicles and mods.

b4z
07-17-2002, 01:15 PM
I can't see how a change in gear ratio would have any effect on a warranty. Go to another dealer.

SSMOKEM
07-17-2002, 02:55 PM
Hey Logan,

It's too bad you don't have any ETs. It would have been cool to see actual time differences between the gears.

tetsu
07-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Hrmm.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll call one of the local SVT authorized dealers and
see.

I'd much prefer it installed by a Ford shop.

Thanks much,
Johnny

Fourth Horseman
07-17-2002, 03:48 PM
How much did the gear set cost you, Logan? Did they say how much labor was going to be? I'd rather do like you did and get the parts and installation from Ford.

I got my windows tinted today! 50% all around. In Utah the fronts can't be lower than 50%, and I don't much care for darker tint in back than up front. I have to say it looks pretty nice. Waiting for two weeks before I can wash the inside of the windows is going to suck, though.

Anyway, looking forward to your 4.10 report tomorrow, Logan. Thanks for being our test platform! ;)

Logan
07-17-2002, 05:50 PM
4.10's from Ford Motorsport are typically around 180-200... Installation is typically 5-7 hours labor. I'll post the actual dollars tomorrow.

Over the next week, I'm going to install a tranny cooler and Autometer Ultra-lite Tranny temp gauge right beside the other two, by removing the cigarette lighter and enlarging the hole...

As for times, I'll leave the stock times to other folks... I'd be scared to see what the stock times are, I bet they're easily 15.3-15.5 in the quarter...

I'm also thinking I can retrofit a conical air filter from a Gen 2 Lightning to the marauder as the MAF is the same unit used on the Lightning...

Also, we should be able to swap the throttle body with a Single blade Cobra unit for some increased throttle response.

..more to come...

tetsu
07-18-2002, 07:04 AM
No SVT dealership in WI or Northern IL will do my gears. :(

One bunch of chumps had the audacity to ask me to bring in my Rauder so they could see it after they said they wouldnt touch my gears.

Blah!
Johnny

Logan
07-18-2002, 07:35 AM
I'm glad I live in Texas.

tetsu
07-18-2002, 07:41 AM
I found a speed shop that'll do it. I can't get a solid estimate until Monday but he said probably $400-$450 total depending on cost of the gears.

Now, can anyone suggest the best way to explain to the wife why it's absolutely necessary to drop $700 on new gears and chip for a brand new car? :)

Johnny

Logan
07-18-2002, 07:49 AM
Ummm... Can't help you there, I told mine that it's going in to get the windows tinted... Which it is....I just forgot to mention the gears. :)

MarauderMike
07-18-2002, 08:48 AM
I found a speed shop here that will do the install for $175 plus the fluids. I ordered the 4.10 gear set from Diversified today so by next week I'll have it installed. Overall I'll have less than $375 in the set installed. Then comes the chip!:D

tetsu
07-18-2002, 09:16 AM
When you switch the gears, is it something that is readily noticed when it's worked on later?

Every single Ford person I've talked to said that new gears will void my entire powertrain warranty.

Johnny

Logan
07-18-2002, 10:13 AM
I can't believe you're getting that type of reception. Anyway, no. A gear change is not visually noticeable. Unless they check your PCM specifically for the gear ratio, they won't ever know.

I've never had problems with gear changes and will continue not to have any issues. Under the Magnusson Moss act, they cannot arbitrarily void your warranty anyway without specifically proving that the modification was the immediate cause of the failure claimed for warranty service.

In other words, if you go in for warranty work on your brakes, they can't claim the gear modification destroyed your brakes without proving it.