PDA

View Full Version : Time trials, edumacate me...

RacerX
08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
So is it good to try and pull your best time for the pre race time trials or wait? First timer here so forgive me. Just a hack street racer so far! :D

Dr Caleb
08-14-2009, 11:02 AM
So is it good to try and pull your best time for the pre race time trials or wait? First timer here so forgive me. Just a hack street racer so far! :D

:twocents:

Unless you are a Mario Andretti, you aren't going to pull your best time off right away.

Depending on the point of the race (best time, most improved time, etc.) you will probably just want to get used to the course at first. Improve a little bit each time. Any 'racer' will tell you, consistency is more important in many races than speed.

Exceeding your limits is what will lose you the race.

RacerX
08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry. My bad. It's just a 1/4 mile run. I was just wondering if I should keep just a bit off the gas the the trials. Do they match you up with like times etc. ?

NE Dragway: http://www.newenglanddragway.com/images/2009%20Ford%20Fest%20Flyer.pdf

Street Ford. N/A. No goodies yet cept JLT CAI, no rear cats.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
you need to know what you can run consistently. You don't want to go faster than your dial if you are running brackets, then you automatically lose.

RacerX
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Any more advice? :D I grew up in SOCAL. Did a lot of MX, dune buggies, high speed go-carts. I know that kind of racing is different than this though. Watched many times, just never been under the tree myself!

Paul T. Casey
08-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Racer, there is only one place for your right foot at the strip. That place is about 2 " beyond the firewall with the go pedal under it. They will run this race "bracket" style. You and whomever you're lined up against will each declare a time which you think your car will run. This is called your dial in. These times are electronically loaded into the sarting light (Christmas tree or tree), and the green light comes on at different times for each car. In theory, both cars will arrive at the finish at the same time. Here's a few tips for you.

1) During time trials, note weather conditions. As the day progresses, your car will slow down due to the rise in heat and humidity. If you TT at say 14.0 seconds at 9:00 am when it's 60F and you start racing at 12:00 noon when it's 75, add a tenth to the time you write on your window.

2) Keep a foot on or near your brake. If it looks like you're going to beat the other guy by more than a car length, stab the brake quick, but don't lift off the gas. You're probably going too fast, called a breakout.

3) During time trials, try to red light but just barely. This helps you know how early you can leave (reaction time). This is where the race is won or lost. I try to go just after the last yellow light comes on on the bracket tree.

4) In the later rounds when you are running nearly back to back (hot lapping) compensate your time on your window for added engine and tranny temps. Your car will start slowing down. Mine looses about .03 to .04 until it levels out after about 3 "hot laps."

Finally:

If GAMike is there, bring your appetite as he will be buying track fries for you after every race.

Hope this helps, and bring home some iron (or plastic).

RacerX
08-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the great info! I'm at the track right now. Lunch break! No other MMs here. Was able to pull against a CVPI. He's running about 15.5 and I can't get better than 16.4. This is why I knew I needed a tune!!! The engine is tight, just not optimal! Oh well, it's great here, having a blast! I love how people circle the car or you get the picture takers!

RacerX
08-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, I was able to pull a 16.3@91mph. Track is 93deg. Calling it a day! I'll come back with a tune! Eventually a Procharger too! Thanks so much for the advice! I got my r/t time down every time and two ft W/preload shaved a bit! You da man! I'm hooked!!! Saw three ponies go down for the day. One threw a rod while in line. Doh! So humid he probably got hydrolock! Muahaha!

Paul T. Casey
08-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Another one hooked!

RacerX
08-15-2009, 07:01 PM
SOaB! I thought I had all the ceramic out when I busted the rear cats! I just found some good size chunks wedged in one after I heard rattling at home!!! Gee, will that take away some horsies? Saright! Coming back with a vengence!:D

Paul T. Casey
08-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Get a tune, CAI, exhaust, and u/d pullies. You'll love the difference.

Dr Caleb
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Paul is your 'dealer'. The first one is always free. ;)