PDA

View Full Version : 5.4 Romeo 605hp CRATE motor

Benwin
08-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I hope this is the place to post this... I mean, this isn't a 'power adder' per-se; it's more of a 'power plant'
I don't own a Marauder, YET, but I will before the end of 2010 (God, I hope it doesn't take that long for my settlement...).
Now, before I get accused of 'putting the carriage before the horse', lemme explain that I'm just doing research, as I like to know as much about the things I love as possible...

With that said!

I saw the thread "New MMR Big Bore Stroker...." (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56030) And it got me thinking...

Would this (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField= 10261) engine fit inside the Marauder's engine compartment?
Is $18,150 worth the 605hp that this motor produces?
Can the rest of the Marauder's stock drivetrain handle the torque and HP that this beast produces?
Can the Marauder's motor ever produce that much HP?
If so; can it be done for less than $18,150?
Can it be made to look this pretty?
http://www.theherozone.com/bridontech/don/car/M-6007-TVS.jpg

As always, thanks to all that answer my never-ending questions... Hey, at least I put them on separate lines so they're easier to answer!

--Don--

a_d_a_m
08-17-2009, 12:58 AM
A few responses.

Would this (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField= 10261) engine fit inside the Marauder's engine compartment? There have been numerous 5.4 swaps into Panthers but the response under me probably says it better than I could/would...

Is $18,150 worth the 605hp that this motor produces? You'll get a bunch of different answers to this, but I say you can do better for way less money.

Can the rest of the Marauder's stock drivetrain handle the torque and HP that this beast produces? I would probably beef up the trans (J-mod at least but probably a built trans would be in order), definitely upgrade the driveshaft, and just leave the rear-end stock until it grenades.

imorb1994
08-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Would this (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField= 10261) engine fit inside the Marauder's engine compartment?

Didn't see specs on the engine but it a 4.6 bored and stroked to a 5.4?
It depends. With the blower outlet on that side it will require modification to the wiper assembly, and possibly more on that side of the engine compartment. Also i thought I read somewhere that the 5.4 DOHC will not fit width wise but the 5.4 SOHC will Which there have been several swaps with the SOHC's.

Also the alternator would be in the frame rail. Would need to relocate or notch the frame for clearance.

The stock motor without forged internals maybe, but not very long, with proper tuning still a maybe.

There are many Marauder's with great looking engine compartments. Many members have that same valve/coil cover combo.

Benwin
08-17-2009, 01:34 AM
The intake is on the same side as the Marauder stock motor... :confused::confused::confused:

Didn't see specs on the engine but it a 4.6 bored and stroked to a 5.4?
It depends. With the blower outlet on that side it will require modification to the wiper assembly, and possibly more on that side of the engine compartment. Also i thought I read somewhere that the 5.4 DOHC will not fit width wise but the 5.4 SOHC will Which there have been several swaps with the SOHC's.

Also the alternator would be in the frame rail. Would need to relocate or notch the frame for clearance.

The stock motor without forged internals maybe, but not very long, with proper tuning still a maybe.

There are many Marauder's with great looking engine compartments. Many members have that same valve/coil cover combo.

imorb1994
08-17-2009, 01:36 AM
The intake is on the same side as the Marauder stock motor... :confused::confused::confused:

The supercharger inlet sits farther back towards the firewall than the marauder's engine does IIRC it sits back 2.5"
Also I think(I read)the supercharger its self sits further back than a Trilogy.
keep in mind my awnsers are things that I have read somewhere on this site. Others may be able to give better insight into this fitting properly

Benwin
08-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Oh, hm... that makes sense... I don't wanna have to do a ton of modification...

Aside from the ford motorsports link, do you have any idea where to look for crate motors?

Spectragod
08-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Buy a 4.6 DOHC Aluminator and a Trilogy, you will make that power and then some. Finding decent enough fuel will be your biggest problem.

in2deep
08-17-2009, 06:06 AM
A 5.4 will not fit in the Marauder unless you swap to a hydroboost brake setup.
However, a 3V 5.4 WILL.

johnnyrauder
08-18-2009, 07:03 PM
`a v3 vortech s/c and rebild the lower half of the motor an it
will make 600+hp

DEFYANT
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
It can be / has been done cheaper and without major changes to the car that this swap would require.

MM_BKK
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
That is 605 crank HP which equates to about 515 rwhp with about 15% drivetrain loss.

A lot of members here have put down over 600+ rwhp with only 4.6 and a lot less than $18000 including labor.

LSp8
08-18-2009, 09:24 PM
It's too much potential in the 4.6 that's already in the car to invest into a giant behemoth that's going to need reconstruction surgery on the frame just to make 600 hp when you can just throw a good blower and some good internals followed by a good tune to make the same amount of power.

calypsocoral
08-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I hope this is the place to post this... I mean, this isn't a 'power adder' per-se; it's more of a 'power plant'
I don't own a Marauder, YET, but I will before the end of 2010 (God, I hope it doesn't take that long for my settlement...).
Now, before I get accused of 'putting the carriage before the horse', lemme explain that I'm just doing research, as I like to know as much about the things I love as possible...

With that said!

I saw the thread "New MMR Big Bore Stroker...." (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56030) And it got me thinking...

Is $18,150 worth the 605hp that this motor produces?
Can the rest of the Marauder's stock drivetrain handle the torque and HP that this beast produces?
If so; can it be done for less than $18,150?
http://www.theherozone.com/bridontech/don/car/M-6007-TVS.jpg

As always, thanks to all that answer my never-ending questions... Hey, at least I put them on separate lines so they're easier to answer!

--Don--

I am a late comer to your thread as I don't get on here often. I agree with everything most have said. You can make a TON of HP with the 4V 4.6 in the car. If you will be happy at the 600 HP level that's a walk in the park. We build turbo systems for various cars/trucks and unfortunately haven't done a Marauder yet. Our results on stock 4.6 - 4V engines with a single or twin turbo are:
4-6#s boost 400-500 RWHP (at the high end this is 600 crank HP you asked about)
8-10#s boost 500-600 RWHP
10#s boost and up (forged/built engine) we have seen as much as 1172 RWHP on a 4V Cobra, and a customer has made 1243 RWHP on a 3V Stroker. Turbos are obviously not for everybody, but the learning curve isn't huge and the results and Mileage are impressive. Absolute confidence in your tuning person is imperative, anything less is "mission impossible". A lot of folks go with the 5.4 for wow factor, and that's OK. Not really needed for power assuming 1,000 RWHP will get you by!
Good Luck & Thanks, Jim
TurboHorsePower

Glenn
08-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Buy a 4.6 DOHC Aluminator and a Trilogy, you will make that power and then some. Finding decent enough fuel will be your biggest problem.

This is the way to go - now if we can only get Rick to dyno his engine we will have some definite proof. The Aluminator with the TS setup would make over 600 HP. All of this probably for under $15,000.

Glenn :burnout:

Benwin
08-22-2009, 01:03 PM
I am a late comer to your thread as I don't get on here often. I agree with everything most have said. You can make a TON of HP with the 4V 4.6 in the car. If you will be happy at the 600 HP level that's a walk in the park. We build turbo systems for various cars/trucks and unfortunately haven't done a Marauder yet. Our results on stock 4.6 - 4V engines with a single or twin turbo are:
4-6#s boost 400-500 RWHP (at the high end this is 600 crank HP you asked about)
8-10#s boost 500-600 RWHP
10#s boost and up (forged/built engine) we have seen as much as 1172 RWHP on a 4V Cobra, and a customer has made 1243 RWHP on a 3V Stroker. Turbos are obviously not for everybody, but the learning curve isn't huge and the results and Mileage are impressive. Absolute confidence in your tuning person is imperative, anything less is "mission impossible". A lot of folks go with the 5.4 for wow factor, and that's OK. Not really needed for power assuming 1,000 RWHP will get you by!
Good Luck & Thanks, Jim
TurboHorsePower

Jim;

Thanks for your reply. I've considered going turbo, but, to be honest, I prefer the sound/look of superchargers over turbos. It's a personal preference thing. I just don't like having 100 feet of extra tubing under the hood of my car, and the sound of a wastegate or blow-off valve opening just makes me want to blow a car up because of all of the ricers in my area.

Thanks again!

Don

magindat
08-24-2009, 09:49 AM
That is 605 crank HP which equates to about 515 rwhp with about 15% drivetrain loss.

A lot of members here have put down over 600+ rwhp with only 4.6 and a lot less than $18000 including labor.

Thank you. This was my response.

Depending on what you feel driveline and torque converter losses are (I've heard everything from 15-21%) 500+ CHP is feasible on stock internals with one of several 'bolt on' blower choices.

A forged internal 4.6 can do much much more.