PDA

View Full Version : Swirl marks!

captJ696
10-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Hello fellas, relatively a new member here on this wonderful site.
One question though, which product absolutely removes lite swirl marks on our Marauders. I`ve invested in several micro fiber towels and still the swirl marks are visible

Thanks,... Joe

Petrograde
10-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Check this out....Zaino Z-5 (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-5&Category_Code=Zaino)

I just got some for my little swirls,.. I haven't used it yet, I will try it tomorrow.

My understanding is: that is works, but slowly. It'll take several coats. A lot of folks from this site have used it. feedback?

Tom

BTW- ditch the micro-fiber towels for some 100% cotton ones. read about it here (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=TOWELS&Store_Code=Z). I followed this advise, and I saw a big difference!

TAF
10-18-2003, 04:03 PM
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I swear by the stuff. Get the "Show Car Kit" and you'll have one.

ZKIT-1 0 Zaino Bros' Total Protection Show Car Kit $84.70

captJ696
10-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Petrograde, thanks for the quick reply. I`ll try your suggestion-Zaino 5, got it!

Joe

Petrograde
10-18-2003, 04:06 PM
No prob CaptJ!

That's why were here! I think you'll be happy with the Zaino, many of us here swear by it!

SheboyganGuy
10-18-2003, 04:21 PM
DON'T forget Z-10, Leather in a Bottle....It is absolutely fantastic for the leather interior...

captJ696
10-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys for all your help! Zaino, Zaino all the way.

Joe

MapleLeafMerc
10-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Hoser members- is Zaino avail up here?

Petrograde
10-18-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by MapleLeafMerc
Hoser members- is Zaino avail up here?

Only if UPS has a route near you. :D

Petrograde
10-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SheboyganGuy
DON'T forget Z-10, Leather in a Bottle....It is absolutely fantastic for the leather interior...

Thanks for reminding me! I forgot it was in the trunk! I just used it. WOW!:up: the new leather smell is back!

Tom

Agent M79
10-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Zaino does make an incredible difference. My car looks better than when I got it. Very good results.

Today we did my wife's H***a minivan that she has had for 18 months and rarely washed. It even came out looking way better than when she got it with the exception of a few stone chips up front.

I followed the instructions from Sal and everything turned out fine. If you have any questions, email or call him.

Silver_04
10-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Zaino is great stuff and won't use anything else since making the switch.

merc406
10-18-2003, 08:48 PM
According to this new product you can throw away the dry towels.
I have not tried it yet, it is put out by Mr.Clean and is called Auto-Dry Car Wash. Wash and rinse and leaves no spots. I think I've heard this claim before but it's worth a try.

ron460
10-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Canadian customers:
Mike Adams
Crown Auto Emporium
325 Eramosa Rd.
Guelph, Ontario N1E 2N1
(519)763-8473
Email: mike@zaino.ca

MapleLeafMerc
10-19-2003, 07:33 AM
ron460- Thanks for the info!

tomd
10-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Try taking it to a detail shop first. Let them look at it to see what they can do to remove the swirls.

A body shop buff my car from bumper to bumper, of course it left swirl mark over the entire car!
After I got done screaming at them it was taken to a detail shop that made it look great! What I think the detail shop kept doing was using a finer and finer polish until all the swirl marks were gone!

Zaino is a great stuff but with the Z-5 for the most part you're hiding the swirl marks. If you use a automatic car wash it only takes 4 or 5 washes and the marks return. If you hand wash the car with a mild soap am sure it will last a lot longer.

Have the detail shop remove the swirls then YOU keep it looking great by using ZAINO!

Petrograde
10-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Automatic Carwash?!?!?!?!? ..gasp!... no way, uh-uh, I won't even subject the Wife's Honda to one off those!

tomd
10-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Petrograde
Automatic Carwash?!?!?!?!? ..gasp!... no way, uh-uh, I won't even subject the Wife's Honda to one off those!

You would if you had to wash the car 2 or more times a week. In winter it is more like 3 or 4 times a week if we get a lot of snow and salt! :lol:

Petrograde
10-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Actually, I do hand wash my MM at least twice a week, ... my wife thinks I'm developing an obsessive compulsive disorder! :lol:

Thank God I don't have to deal with salted roads and large amounts of snow anymore! I

I see where your coming from, but I had a Ranger and a Trans Am that were scratched all to hell by an automatic carwash. I guess it made me gun shy. :D

Tom

MERCMAN
10-19-2003, 12:11 PM
a GREAT alternative to zaino is 3_M swirl remover for dark colored cars. I had loads of swirls. used this product(recommended by Zaino in an earlier post) and was extremely happy with the results. If your local auto supply store doesn't carry it. they can order it for you. Apply by hand or buffer. Does a great job. Macguires on top of it and PRESTO, swirls are gone.:)

joflewbyu2
10-19-2003, 01:04 PM
you all probably heard that swirl marks come from the the wrong wax/paint sealant. this is all BS. paint is pouris like your skin. if the surface is untreated - the paint surface will absorb the wax/cream/paint sealer. the wax/cream/paint sealer still being wet will leave swirls. yes, you can do the hard way of trying to remove the wax/cream/ paint sealer by applying special products or do it the easy way. just reapply the same product again and agin. 3 times - yes 3 times during the 1 st application. wait 1 month and redo the car again using the 3 time process. this will assure even absorbtion of the product which will protect the car for 1 year. you will also notice the hard to remove spots/stains/build up soften and come off/out with out using compound. compound is awful to use. i see more mistakes made with compound while accomplishing the feat which brought out the evil product. ie.) remove a bird dropping which put a circular dip in the paint depth. wet sanding with 1200 or 1600 does a lot less damage than compound, while reapplying wax/cream/sealer does even less damage than wet sanding. THINK OF IT LIKE THIS. " if you get crazy glue on your fingers, you can pick it away piece by piece or apply hand lotion on several times and it falls off.

studio460
10-19-2003, 03:09 PM
For swirl marks that won't go away Zaino used to recommend 3M Swirl Remover. I wouldn't trust a detailer to abrade my clearcoat. I applied the 3M Swirl Remover for dark colored cars myself with excellent results. It has a mild abrasive in it, so use it only where you need it. Alternatives to Zaino which I think are pretty good:

1. Turtle Wax 2001 Car Polish (cleaner+polymers). Available retail.
2. Klasse (acrylic only, no cleaner). Available by mail order.

The 2001 product is available retail, so it's convenient. It contains a cleaner so multiple applications don't benefit you that much with this product. The Klasse product does not contain any cleaners or waxes so multiple applications DO benefit. Use a cleaning regimen before waxing. I get a hand wash, then hand clean with detailing spray, then clay bar. If you go with the Klasse product, a separate cleaner-only product should be used prior to the application of the Klasse product. Several cleaner-only products (a product which contains no waxes or polymers) are available from online detailing retailers.

captJ696
10-19-2003, 03:19 PM
NBC SHOOTER & everyone else who graciously responded, you`re the best!

Someone should do a poll on how many hours we spend on this sight, I`m going to need an extra alarm clock because this site is so chock full of info.

Joe