PDA

View Full Version : Which Torque converter is it?

cougar9150
08-19-2009, 10:00 AM
The MM I just got came with a 3k TC. How do I find out if it is the single disk or multi-disk TC? Looked through the rubber plug in the tranny housing and see that the TC is pink in color.

If I get on it at higher speeds and higher RPMs 3-4k and up with the OD on (say passing someone at highway speeds) the car starts surging and it doesn't feel like it locks up properly. It feels almost like hitting a rev limiter in a stick car. As soon as I take it out of OD I can floor it and just go past whomever I want basically without any type of surging.

burt ragio
08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
My guess it's in the tune. Someone with 1st hand experience will cime in. It sounds like a simple fix.

ctrlraven
08-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Pink is probably a PI converter, mine was pinkish purple. More than likely it is a single disk.

cougar9150
08-22-2009, 08:45 AM
That is what I was thinking. I'm getting ready to have the car retuned in the next few weeks and was just wondering if there was a way to identify the TC type by visual inspection.

FordNut
08-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes, but you have to remove the transmission to get the number off the converter. Then PI can tell you the specs.

cougar9150
08-22-2009, 06:03 PM
No thank. I'll find another way or wait until I get the tune to figure it out.

I believe it was originally installed by DR so maybe if I shoot him the VIN he can tell me.