PDA

View Full Version : An unanswered exhaust question:

BillyGman
10-19-2003, 09:23 AM
I did a search for exhaust questions and answers, but didn't see any answers to the following question:

If I choose to replace the muffler-to-tailpipe sections with 2.5" diameter pipe, then would it be a lot easier for the shop performing the work to be supplied w/two new tailpipe tips? I'm thinking there might be more required to re-use the original tips than merely cutting off the original muffler-to-tailpipe sections, and welding on the new pieces. I believe that I'll want to stay w/the stock resonated ones, so I'm assuming that Ford is the only place for me to get new ones, and that they're a good buck. But what way do you guys think I need to go w/this? Will I need to supply the shop w/new ones for this work?

Murader03
10-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Billy...The show should be able to reuse your original tips. If not, then you can order them from Innovative Interceptors, who is a sponsor on the site, either style. They can also be ordered from the Jegs catalog I think!

MapleLeafMerc
10-19-2003, 09:53 AM
I think someone told me there were no resonators, just 18" of tailpipe inside the stainless tips to reduce 'cabin noise'.

BillyGman
10-19-2003, 10:02 AM
that 18" of pipe would have to be removed BEFORE the shop in question can install new pipe that's of bigger diameter. Right? I'm asking this question because I'm planning on making the entire exhaust a full 2.5" from the header collectors all the way back to the tailpipes. There are even sections on our cars exhausts that squeeze down to a mere 2" diameter. That's too restrictive for a V8 engine and my thinking is that if I'm going to bother installing headers, and replacing the cats w/hi-flow models, then the entire exhaust should be a uniform 2.5" diameter.

looking97233
10-19-2003, 10:03 AM
also Magnaflow makes the same tips, rolled edge and all. I think the cost more though. I haven't seen them in person, just in their catalog so I don't know if the quality is better or not.

BillyGman
10-19-2003, 10:08 AM
in mind if I learn that I actually need to buy another set of tips. But I'm not sure if I do. And that's my question here. I'd hate to learn that I do need another set, after the exhaust work has been started, because Im sure that I wouldn't be able to get these tips right away.

joflewbyu2
10-19-2003, 12:31 PM
not only is the stock exhaust from the cat back flange to tips restrictive BUT HEAVY AS HELL. the oem is 2" mild stainless t409 from the flange to the exit of the aluminumized mufflers and then 2 1/4" piping which is crimp bends to heavy 6.5 lb each tips. i replaced mine with the t304 stainless 2.25" full cat back BORLA which was about half its weight. this requires the better 99-02 muffler bracket hangers which support each muffler with 2 hangers/rubber donuts each instead of the cheaper 1 hanger systems on the 03+ cars. stealth look too !! system is just as quiet but a lot deeper tone which slightly can be heard at steady 60 mph (1500 rpm) cruising.