PDA

View Full Version : SPARTA control arms installed.

Blackened300a
08-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Last night the arms arrived and even though it was pouring rain, I decided to take the car out and do the install.
The point of this was to show how they look on the car, how accurate the installation directions are and to give some install tips for you guys who already purchased and for those who are planning to.
Simply put, this installation is very easy and anyone who can turn a wrench can install these.
Tools needed are a 18mm socket, 22mm socket or wrench, 15mm socket or wrench, torque wrench that goes up to 115 ft lbs, a rubber mallet, and a measuring tape.
Ill give the basic details of the install. The directions will give more detail that are included.
With the car on the ground and your airbags inflated to ride height, you will need to measure from the center of the rim to the bottom of the fender lip.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/measure.jpg
My car was 16 inches. Some will vary.
Now you can go ahead and pull the tires off and see how wimpy your stock control arms really are.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/DSCN1530-1.jpg

Using the above mentioned tools, you can go ahead and remove either arm you want. We started with the bottom arm. Just remove the bolts and the arm will pop right out, then replace with your new stronger SPARTA arm.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/lower-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/upper.jpg

Its in the directions that you must replace the bolts the same direction they were removed. We also found that when replacing the arm with the new one, install the forward bolt first then the rearward. When you remove the arm the rear will move slightly and a rubber mallet will be needed to align the bolt through the hole. There is a taper on the bolt so this wont harm the threads.
Leave the bolts loose at this point and go ahead and remove the upper arm. Nothing too special there, just remove the bolts, remove the arm and replace with the new arm. We found that you should remove the forward bolt first, then the rearward bolt. This will prevent the arm from swinging up and potentially taking out the brake line. You can reinstall either way you want.
Once again leave the bolts loose!
It should look like this.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/DSCN1537-1.jpg
Now you will understand why we left the arms loose and why you took a measurement before the installation. We had the car on the lift so we put a pipe under the rear axle and lowered the lift down to raise the suspension to meet our initial measurement of 16 inches.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/DSCN1534-1.jpg

Once you reach the proper measurement from the center of the axle to the top lip of the fender well, you can go ahead and torque the bolts to spec which was 111ft lbs for all bolts except the rearward top control arm bolt, that was to be torqued at 69ft lbs.
Once you have all the bolts torqued, you can replace your wheel and consider this side done!!!!!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/DSCN1540-1.jpg

Repeat the directions for the other side and you are looking at a control arm install in less then a hour start to finish.

Its pouring rain here in NY the entire weekend so there is no way I can give you a accurate testimonial on how these affected the performance. I can assure you that these are much beefier then stock, the bushings fit nice and snug, and look nicer as well.
Heres a pic of them with the car on the ground.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/DSCN1548-1.jpg

These are the silver ones that are offered, they stand out and you can see them clearly through the rim and wheel well. so you guys that picked different colors will get a idea of what you can expect to see.

Tommy has more pics of the side by side comparison of the SPARTA arms VS stock, I just wanted to give you guys the general idea of what they look like and whats involved.

Heres the link to the directions we used with pics.
http://spartaperformance.com/mmarms.htm

The MM.net discount expires 9/02 so get on board before you miss out on a great deal!

SpartaPerformance
08-29-2009, 06:32 PM
That last picture is nice, it shows how you can see both arms through the spokes of the rim!!

Guys remember the 10% discount, free shipping and free colors is only till Wednesday, the coupon word is hermes.

Thanks again for your support

Ms. Denmark
08-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Looks great Paul, now you need to chrome those shocks!!!

Krytin
08-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Looks very nice!
Good instructions

LANDY
08-29-2009, 07:09 PM
That looks great! Thats exactly the way mine is going to look. Very simple install. Thanks again guys, cant wait till my set comes in. Landy

rayjay
08-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks Paul, I'm awaiting their arrival too. :D

jgc61sr2002
08-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Paul - Nice job.:D:up:

blazen71
08-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Looks good. I was wondering why you leave the bolts loose and then tighten them with weight on the suspension?

joemama
08-30-2009, 09:54 AM
That last picture is nice, it shows how you can see both arms through the spokes of the rim!!

Guys remember the 10% discount, free shipping and free colors is only till Wednesday, the coupon word is hermes.

Thanks again for your support

______________________________ __
Thanks Paul and I REALLY appreciate the refund you gave me since I had just missed the 'hermes' discount. That really says a lot! :up:

Blackened300a
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Looks good. I was wondering why you leave the bolts loose and then tighten them with weight on the suspension?

I cant understand why either. Its in the instructions so it may serve some sort of purpose. :confused:

Blackened300a
08-30-2009, 10:39 AM
______________________________ __
Thanks Paul and I REALLY appreciate the refund you gave me since I had just missed the 'hermes' discount. That really says a lot! :up:

Tommys a good guy and wouldnt want anyone to feel ripped off. :beer:

Krytin
08-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I cant understand why either. Its in the instructions so it may serve some sort of purpose. :confused:
The OEM bushings and the style used in most the aftermarket DON'T have any provision for "free float" at the bolts.
That is when the bolts are torqued down the bushings don't rotate or bind on the bolt.
I believe that someone had a Metco bushing fail a couple of years ago due to what appeared to be some form of tear from the inner part of the bushing trying to twist inside while the outside remained "fixed in the control arm. This may have been caused by installing the new control arms and tightening them at other than normal ride height
The ball joint rod ends I used on my home built units float but have other draw backs.

LANDY
08-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Paul, has the weather given you a chance to test them. if so how do they feel?

ledzilla
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
BUMP
Any updates on whether they're worth it? I was thinking of finagling a few bills around and getting these, doing the install when I put Blackmobile's rear end in.

rayjay
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
BUMP
Any updates on whether they're worth it? I was thinking of finagling a few bills around and getting these, doing the install when I put Blackmobile's rear end in.

For the price they're worth it. Anyone who has installed CAs has not been sorry. Its the price here that pushed me over the edge, $299 delivered while the sale was on.

Blackened300a
09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Paul, has the weather given you a chance to test them. if so how do they feel?

I posted in the other thread that I only had about an hour drive time before I had to remove them and send them back to the fabricator. The car felt a lot more firm around curves and during straight line launches. There was definitely a big improvement with these installed. I truly believe these are definitely worth investing in.

BUMP

You cant beat the price and quality of these parts.

ledzilla
09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm definitely planning on picking up a set, then. Now I just need to figure out if I want to keep it all nice n' black, or spice it up with the silver or blue arms...

offroadkarter
09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Its pouring rain here in NY the entire weekend so there is no way I can give you a accurate testimonial on how these affected the performance.

With those tires your sure as hell could :P

I noticed a difference in mine right when i started driving.

Arms do look great though and they look top notch.

And just think, now your .1 seconds closer to the 12's :banana:

ledzilla
09-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Anyone have any pics on how the blues look?

SpartaPerformance
09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
I had one order for the blue set so hopefully they will post a pic for you.

sd8683
09-07-2009, 09:01 PM

No problem! I'll post a pic :D

Any idea when we should expect to see them?

Thanks, Sean

ledzilla
09-08-2009, 03:26 PM

No problem! I'll post a pic :D

Any idea when we should expect to see them?

Thanks, Sean

Groovy man. :coolman: I hope to have my decision made soon so I can put in an order by next Monday or Tuesday.

SpartaPerformance
09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I spoke to the fabricator today and he said half will be going out this Friday, the other half Monday or Tuesday of next week, you should all get them in time for installation prior to MarauderVille 7.

He also siad I should have a picture of the Watts Link bars Friday as well.

ledzilla
09-09-2009, 04:56 PM
If I can get my order in by Friday afternoon, would be able to ship with the orders going out early next week? I want to order a set in the silver finish, and just have to wait for a payment to clear, which will hopefully happen by Friday morning.

SpartaPerformance
09-09-2009, 07:00 PM
If I can get my order in by Friday afternoon, would be able to ship with the orders going out early next week? I want to order a set in the silver finish, and just have to wait for a payment to clear, which will hopefully happen by Friday morning.

Should not be a problem, but I will call tomorrow and find out.

Pat
09-10-2009, 04:14 AM
Hummmm;

I think I know what to ask Santa Claus.

FormulaMarauder
09-10-2009, 06:42 AM
I just ordered mine yesterday. Have a track rental date lined up for next Saturday the 18th, hopefully mine get sent out today with everybody elses.

ledzilla
09-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I just put in my order. I'm hoping to have it sent out with next week's order... Hopefully receive by weekend? Maybe?

Blackened300a
09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I just put in my order. I'm hoping to have it sent out with next week's order... Hopefully receive by weekend? Maybe?

Dont bet on it. He processed the order after the MM.net group buy discount. The fabricator made a extra set and was able to get Formula Marauders order filled. Im sure it wont be long to bang out another set but it wont be in with this batch.

FormulaMarauder
09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
The fabricator made a extra set and was able to get FormulaMarauders order filled.

Awesome, awesome, awesome customer sevice. :beer:

SpartaPerformance
09-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey Mike, I'm afraid Paul is correct. These arms are made when ordered and 100% hand crafted. Unfortunately the fabricator has the luxury of being closed the entire weekend so he's going to get your order bright and early Monday morning, he always tries his best so there still is hope but please don't be disappointed if they don't show up on time for weekend.

ledzilla
09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Oh, I more than understand. I'll probably still be disappointed if they don't make it by the weekend, but I won't be upset. Besides, if they don't, I can still get the new rear end put in (hopefully) over the weekend, install the control arms the next weekend, and compare the difference. So maybe it'll be better for comparison's sake if they don't make it? It's all good. I'm all excited anyway! :D

ledzilla
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I got them today, but I have no idea when I'll have a chance to get them installed. Looks like I might be waiting until the weather warms back up again.

SpartaPerformance
10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I got them today, but I have no idea when I'll have a chance to get them installed. Looks like I might be waiting until the weather warms back up again.

Warm weather is always a good idea. Thank you for your support and again I apologize for the delay.